The Student Room Group

GCSE French final grade help

Hello :smile:
I am hoping to do French at A level and I would like a high grade at GCSE. My controlled assessments vary from A's to B's and overall come out at a strong B, but the maximum I can get on my French exam is a C as all of my class are sitting the foundation paper due to not having a proper teacher for the past 14 months. So I would like to know what grade I would come out with if I get a C on my exam which is worth 40% of my final grade and my controlled assessments which are a B which are worth 60% of my final grade, would this equate to a B? I would be very happy with a B at GCSE.
Thank you :redface:
I guess you would come out with an overall C if not B depending on the grade boundaries.
Reply 2
Original post by existential
Hello :smile:
I am hoping to do French at A level and I would like a high grade at GCSE. My controlled assessments vary from A's to B's and overall come out at a strong B, but the maximum I can get on my French exam is a C as all of my class are sitting the foundation paper due to not having a proper teacher for the past 14 months. So I would like to know what grade I would come out with if I get a C on my exam which is worth 40% of my final grade and my controlled assessments which are a B which are worth 60% of my final grade, would this equate to a B? I would be very happy with a B at GCSE.
Thank you :redface:

It depends on the exact marks you get in the different units. Assuming this is AQA, you need 180UMS for a C overall and 210 for a B.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
It depends on the exact marks you get in the different units. Assuming this is AQA, you need 180UMS for a C overall and 210 for a B.

Thank you, this is very helpful. The exam board is AQA, do you know roughly how much a B (controlled assessment) is in UMS points? (Not exact, just a rough guide because you don't know my exact mark)
Reply 4
Thank you, this is very helpful. The exam board is AQA, do you know roughly how much a B (controlled assessment) is in UMS points? (Not exact, just a rough guide because you don't know my exact mark)

The writing controlled assessment is out of 90UMS, you need at least 63 for a B. The speaking is the same. (They convert the 2 assessments you have done, each out of 30 raw marks, into a mark out of 90UMS.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
The writing controlled assessment is out of 90UMS, you need at least 63 for a B. The speaking is the same. (They convert the 2 assessments you have done, each out of 30 raw marks, into a mark out of 90UMS.

Thanks that's very helpful!
How many marks do u have to get out of 30 for an A* and secondly for 100ums?
Reply 7
Original post by Greatthinker

You need a raw mark of 33 for an A* controlled assessment, this converts to 54 UMS and the maximum UMS per controlled assessment is 60.
Reply 8
Original post by Greatthinker

Last year, for AQA French, you needed 27.5/30 raw to get an A* in the speaking and 28/30 raw to get an A* in the writing. You can check at: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

The AQA language conteolled assessments are out of 90. Last year, for full UMS marks you needed full raw marks.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost

hi, do you know how much UMS it is for an A grade at GCSE? (AQA)
hi, do you know how much UMS it is for an A grade at GCSE? (AQA)

Original post by Compost

Thanks that's really helpful :smile: would I still be able to get an A if all my controlled assessments are good and if I get pretty much full marks on the foundation papers?
Thanks that's really helpful :smile: would I still be able to get an A if all my controlled assessments are good and if I get pretty much full marks on the foundation papers?

If you get full marks in the Foundation papers, that would get you 82/120UMS, meaning you'd need to get 158/180 from the controlled assessment (that's a very high A on average) to get an A overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending