The Student Room Group

The hitchhiker's guide to A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Oh cool, I do same as the thread starter but also biology on top (ugh). I wish I had taken English lit, because I love literature.

The best advice I can give for physics is bombard yourself with mark schemes. I don't know if you're doing mechanics 2 but that is difficult as hell even for the smartest people in my school. If you need any help, I'd be glad to give you a hand because I'm pretty confident with my knowledge of the syllabus, and they say you retain 90% of what you teach.

Which university were you planning to go to? Oxford isn't as hard to get into as it sounds, from the research I've done on the application process... but hell what do I know?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by alevels2k15
Hey! I havent attempted a single past paper ever since we started :eek::s-smilie: not good! :frown:

Thanks!! I really i hope i get 4 As by the end of this :smile: I am struggling so much in chemistry... Maybe because i havent attempted any past papers :rolleyes:

Il be sure not to make the same mistakes in A2 :colondollar:

No problem haha :smile: like I said I'm sure doing past papers will really help you and boost your grades!

Original post by MesWa
Oh cool, I do same as the thread starter but also biology on top (ugh). I wish I had taken English lit, because I love literature.

The best advice I can give for physics is bombard yourself with mark schemes. I don't know if you're doing mechanics 2 but that is difficult as hell even for the smartest people in my school. If you need any help, I'd be glad to give you a hand because I'm pretty confident with my knowledge of the syllabus, and they say you retain 90% of what you teach.

Which university were you planning to go to? Oxford isn't as hard to get into as it sounds, from the research I've done on the application process... but hell what do I know?

Wow ow loads of people seem to be doing five Alevels.. Feel bad for complaining haha.
unfortunatley I only do mechanics 1 this year, we do M2 next year, sorry.

Im hopefully going to Durham Univeristy as its good for my course and is on my door step! I'm also on the supported progression which gives me lots of benefits if I do go there.

So are you in A2? And have you applied for uni?
Reply 82
'Hey! I did do mocks and i got Us and Es
Im so worried for the exams now!
How did you do and have u started revising?'

Hi!

Yes I did do mocks and got A,B,B,C :frown:

Yes I have started revising lightly! what about you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Katniss15
hi,

oh that's good I'm pleased your enjoying them. And I'm sure you'll do well with psychology and biology!

I'm really enjoying maths and physics.. Definitely the ones I hope to carry on in A2. I'm starting to get there with chemistry, it's still taking a while but I'm heading in the right direction :smile:

So do you know what your wanting to do at uni? It sounds like you could do a lot with those subjects!

Thanks, I hope so too!
Cool, yes I intend to carry maths and chem and bio to A2 if all goes to plan
hmmm ... at Uni im stuck between dentistry or maths
What about you?
What exam board are you for Maths?
Reply 85
Original post by Clovers
Thanks, I hope so too!
Cool, yes I intend to carry maths and chem and bio to A2 if all goes to plan
hmmm ... at Uni im stuck between dentistry or maths
What about you?

Hard decision :smile: I plan to drop chemistry at the end of the year, I think A2 chemistry would actually kill me :biggrin: At uni I really want to study physics, at the moment that would be theoretical physics.. but that might change. They all sound amazing to me! haha

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What exam board are you for Maths?

Hi, I'm doing OCR MEI maths and further maths. You?
Also respect for the username and picture :thumbsup: Love the big bang theory

Hi, I'm doing OCR MEI maths and further maths. You?
Also respect for the username and picture :thumbsup: Love the big bang theory

Edexcel :smile: I love yours too!
Reply 87
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Edexcel :smile: I love yours too!

Aw thanks haha :smile: I know bryonyG98 does Edexcel maths. You could check out her blog
Reply 88
Hi,

today i I saw the solar eclipse! Very exciting! Hope everyone else got a good view. If you got any good photos I welcome you to share them

otherwise I have done some chemistry and physics revision tonight. By going through notes and using memrise.
Reply 89
I do five a levels as well but it's not too bad for me as I don't get the workload of two full a levels with maths and further maths. The most workload now for me is computing - I have to do about 40 tests this weekend! For maths, I'm with AQA and we've not done any mechanics yet - we've doing C1, C2, FP1, D1, D2 and S1 this year, Decision is so boring and I really wish we were doing mechanics instead :frown:
Reply 90
Wow! That's alot of tests :s-smilie:

Oh I really like decisions. We only did D1 this year but I find it really easy. Mechanics is really good but mind numbingly boring, as you have to go through things so slowly for the non physicists. Like what would take a lesson in physics will take a few week in maths. It took us three weeks to go through f=ma :smile:
Reply 91
Hard decision :smile: I plan to drop chemistry at the end of the year, I think A2 chemistry would actually kill me :biggrin: At uni I really want to study physics, at the moment that would be theoretical physics.. but that might change. They all sound amazing to me! haha

Ooooh! sounds like an interesting plan, do you really like physics? Personally im not a fan, but its kind of awesome to know someone who is passionate about physics :biggrin:
Reply 92
Original post by Clovers
Ooooh! sounds like an interesting plan, do you really like physics? Personally im not a fan, but its kind of awesome to know someone who is passionate about physics :biggrin:

haha I'm glad you think so! :biggrin: And yeah, I love physics. I find it so fascinating! Dentistry is pretty cool, I think it would be really nice to give people beautiful smiles :smile:
Hey
Does anyone know what the exam entries deadline was for edexcel chemistry?
Does anyone do OCR Physics? How much of it is calculations & how much is theory?

Who does Edexcel maths/further maths? How much of it is coursework?

Thank you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Lauren-x-
Does anyone do OCR Physics? How much of it is calculations & how much is theory?

Who does Edexcel maths/further maths? How much of it is coursework?

Thank you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi, I do OCR physics. I would say that it is 50/50 when your learning the topics. When you go on to do the papers it feels like your doing less calculations, they're also worth only one or two marks and you really need to understand the theory to understand it. I really like theory based questions so I might notice the calculation questions a but less. But I'd say its pretty equal.
Reply 96
Wow! That's alot of tests :s-smilie:

Oh I really like decisions. We only did D1 this year but I find it really easy. Mechanics is really good but mind numbingly boring, as you have to go through things so slowly for the non physicists. Like what would take a lesson in physics will take a few week in maths. It took us three weeks to go through f=ma :smile:

D1 is quite easy but i just find decision boring as all you do is follow a load of steps (algorithms) like a computer and it doesn't seem to have any use in the real world. What's more, our college makes us do D2 which is an A2 module and is really difficult :frown:
That does sound rubbish about mechanics but fortunately, in our class nearly everyone takes physics as well.
What other maths modules so you do?
Reply 97
Original post by NT226
D1 is quite easy but i just find decision boring as all you do is follow a load of steps (algorithms) like a computer and it doesn't seem to have any use in the real world. What's more, our college makes us do D2 which is an A2 module and is really difficult :frown:
That does sound rubbish about mechanics but fortunately, in our class nearly everyone takes physics as well.
What other maths modules so you do?

Yeah our teacher told us the D2 was quite difficult. The algorithm questions can annoy me at times, but when your doing FP1 it makes you feel better. Haha.

thats good , half of our class doesnt do physics so thats why it took us so long. It'll probably be ok for you :smile:

this year we do C1, C2, S1, S2, FP1, D1 and M1. You?
hi, I do OCR physics. I would say that it is 50/50 when your learning the topics. When you go on to do the papers it feels like your doing less calculations, they're also worth only one or two marks and you really need to understand the theory to understand it. I really like theory based questions so I might notice the calculation questions a but less. But I'd say its pretty equal.

Thannk you :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by Lauren-x-
Thannk you :smile:

Are you thinking about doing A-Level physics? I would really recommend it I absolutely love it! But I am really biased towards it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending