The Student Room Group

Some questions about the PwC Flying Start Degree

Hey all, this is my first post ever in this forum. The reason I made an account was to get answers to a few questions I have about the PwC Flying Start degree offered by Nottingham University, Newcastle university, and Henley business school. I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but I am really struggling to find some proper answers.

1) Has any international non EU student, who doesn't reside in the UK or EU applied and gotten accepted into the programme? If so, did you visit UK for the interview, or was it done on Skype/telephone? I emailed Nottingham about this and they said they do conduct interviews in this fashion

2) Secondly, can anyone give me an idea about what salary I should expect during my work placement? I have read it ranges from £18,000 to £20,000, and it says £20,000 on the ICAEW website. What I would like to know is if this is an annual salary, or is it the accumulated salary I can expect over the 3 years?
And will this salary be enough to cover the tuition fees and/or living expenses for the 3 years?

3) Lastly, if you are/were a successful candidate, can you please tell me you AS/A level grades when you applied, and how important are these? I got 4 As in AS level and I thought getting into this programme would be a breeze, but now I've read on many places that grades hardly matter and all you've got to do is meet the miimum requirements.

Thanks in advance, and all answers will be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm starting this course in September. In answer to your questions:
1) not entirely sure on this one as I am a uk resident, but from what I understand you would need to come over for the interview as it is more of an assessment centre and doubt they could see your potential from just a telephone/Skype interview
2) salary wise I've heard it's the same as a 1st/2nd year graduate, however it depends where you are as obviously london will pay more, over the 3 years in which you do placements I would expect to earn £20000 before tax and such. It will probably cover living expenses but not even close to tuition fees. It is also a 4 year course.
3) I was successful and got A in maths, B in music and B in chemistry, I think the fact I had a good interview, took 'hard' subjects, play in the national youth brass band of Great Britain and had been in a job for 4 years made missing AAB by one grade irrelevant, as long as you have other things going for you than academics you'll be fine.

Hope that helped

Brad

Sent from by Royal Mail
Reply 2
Original post by Bradalaar
1) not entirely sure on this one as I am a uk resident, but from what I understand you would need to come over for the interview as it is more of an assessment centre and doubt they could see your potential from just a telephone/Skype interview
2) salary wise I've heard it's the same as a 1st/2nd year graduate, however it depends where you are as obviously london will pay more, over the 3 years in which you do placements I would expect to earn £20000 before tax and such. It will probably cover living expenses but not even close to tuition fees. It is also a 4 year course.
3) I was successful and got A in maths, B in music and B in chemistry, I think the fact I had a good interview, took 'hard' subjects, play in the national youth brass band of Great Britain and had been in a job for 4 years made missing AAB by one grade irrelevant, as long as you have other things going for you than academics you'll be fine.

Hope that helped

Brad

Sent from by Royal Mail

Thanks for the info Brad! Really helpful :smile:
Good luck for your Program!
BTW I know it's a 4 year course, but the first year is without any placements.

Hope that helped

Brad

Sent from by Royal Mail

*bumps thread*

Are they your A level grades? If so, what were your AS grades and A level predictions?
They are yes, As exams went badly so don't worry, I got BBCE and they didn't mind, predicted AAB

Sent from by Royal Mail
Reply 5
I got ABBC at AS and then AAC plus an A in general studies at A level and still got in, although I heard someone got A*BC and didn't get in, which is the equivalent of what I got, thus suggesting they do take into consideration your interview etc.

I wouldn't say its a breeze, even for good students. The interview is a long interview and they really probe you about your experience (I have done 3 financial work placements plus young enterprise and world challenge). There is also a group interview which is pressure, but not too bad.

The message is that you need to be reasonably academic but they need to know you're suited for the job. Commitment and passion is the key, as getting your qualification from ICAEW does not come without intense pressure.
Reply 6
Oh and also Bradalaar mentioned that the £20,000 was before tax. I doubt it would be taxed as technically you will be earning only about £7,000 per placement each year (for three years) so that seems to fall below the tax threshold. Of course there may be a few other contributions that come out of it but I don't think it will be heavily taxed
Haha getting into the financial stuff already, but yes you are right I highly doubt Income tax will come into it but you never know :smile:

Sent from by Royal Mail
They are yes, As exams went badly so don't worry, I got BBCE and they didn't mind, predicted AAB

Sent from by Royal Mail

Thanks for the information!

I got BCCD and I'm predicted a BCC

T.T
Original post by KForshaw
Oh and also Bradalaar mentioned that the £20,000 was before tax. I doubt it would be taxed as technically you will be earning only about £7,000 per placement each year (for three years) so that seems to fall below the tax threshold. Of course there may be a few other contributions that come out of it but I don't think it will be heavily taxed

£7,000 a year would make you exempt from IT and NIC contributions as it does fall below threshold. But if you get any of the benefits eg. private medical, you would get taxed on this, it's less than a £100 though so not awful!
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
£7,000 a year would make you exempt from IT and NIC contributions as it does fall below threshold. But if you get any of the benefits eg. private medical, you would get taxed on this, it's less than a £100 though so not awful!

Well summed up! Im eager to know when I start what benefits they actually give the Flying Start students, whether it is the same as the grad scheme with private health, company phone etc. Since its for about 4 months a year I'm skeptical if they would give you the full range of options...but when I start I will find out and report back on this thread :smile:
Original post by KForshaw
Well summed up! Im eager to know when I start what benefits they actually give the Flying Start students, whether it is the same as the grad scheme with private health, company phone etc. Since its for about 4 months a year I'm skeptical if they would give you the full range of options...but when I start I will find out and report back on this thread :smile:

Just to clarify, grad scheme doesn't get a company phone, you only get that at manager above - quickest you can get there is after 5 years! Not sure whether the Flying Starts would get the private medical though.
Reply 12
Anyone who has applied as an international student?
I'm scared I might be at a disadvantage because I doubt skype/telephone will allow them to see my full potential.
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
Just to clarify, grad scheme doesn't get a company phone, you only get that at manager above - quickest you can get there is after 5 years! Not sure whether the Flying Starts would get the private medical though.

Ahhh my bad, my sister on a Grad scheme at Deloitte (first year) got one so assumed the perks were similar!
Reply 14
Original post by NameerK
Anyone who has applied as an international student?
I'm scared I might be at a disadvantage because I doubt skype/telephone will allow them to see my full potential.

I am an international student in the Flying Start Program at Newcastle University. We have at least 7 international students out of the 58: 4 from Pakistan, 2 from Malaysia, 1 from Mauritius and I guess one more from Southeast Asia. There are international students in Years 2,3 and 4 as well. Also, there are international students in the same program at Henley and Nottingham as well.

Also, I want ti clarify that I had given a Skype interview as well as few of my other colleagues.
Reply 15
Original post by ranaf
I am an international student in the Flying Start Program at Newcastle University. We have at least 7 international students out of the 58: 4 from Pakistan, 2 from Malaysia, 1 from Mauritius and I guess one more from Southeast Asia. There are international students in Years 2,3 and 4 as well. Also, there are international students in the same program at Henley and Nottingham as well.

Also, I want ti clarify that I had given a Skype interview as well as few of my other colleagues.

Thanks a lot Ranaf.
I have a telephone interview soon. Can you give me any advice? This is my first interview.
Thanks, and good luck with your course!
Hi everyone, I am also an international student. I just had the telephone interview, how long would it take to process the interview?
Reply 17
Original post by NameerK
Thanks a lot Ranaf.
I have a telephone interview soon. Can you give me any advice? This is my first interview.
Thanks, and good luck with your course!

It depends on which university are you applying to. Is it Newcastle or Nottingham or Reading?
Reply 18
Original post by Hannahzhou
Hi everyone, I am also an international student. I just had the telephone interview, how long would it take to process the interview?

It would take just a day or two to hear from the university.
Original post by ranaf

Hi. I was curious about whether an international student gets employed by the Firm after he completes this degree. The reason being that being international students we don't have a work permit and the firm would have to sponsor us for it. Without the permit and the job, I wouldn't be a qualified CA and would still have a year or two's professional training left. Without it I would stand nowhere.

Quick Reply

Latest