The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, they were originally black, but thanks to colonisation....
there are different ethnic groups in northern africa. eg the berber people, who tend to be darker
Original post by James Milibanter
Yes, they were originally black, but thanks to colonisation....

No. They are closer to the Mediterranean, so that is why they have lighter skin.
Original post by DorianGrayism
No. They are closer to the Mediterranean, so that is why they have lighter skin.

Yes, lighter, but not caucasian, that was down to colonisation. Look at Morocco for example, natives are much darker than the descendants of colonists.

My dad was Algerian and italian and neither family looked racially similar to me.
Yes, lighter, but not caucasian, that was down to colonisation. Look at Morocco for example, natives are much darker than the descendants of colonists.

Not really. There was never en mass colonisation. I don't know why you are stating that.

The people of the Mediterranean have always been fighting and conquering each other.

They were never considered "Black" in the first place .
Not really. There was never en mass colonisation. I don't know why you are stating that.

The people of the Mediterranean have always been fighting and conquering each other.

They were never considered "Black" in the first place .

Rome and Egypt
Spain and Morocco
France and Algeria
need I go on...
Rome and Egypt
Spain and Morocco
France and Algeria
need I go on...

Spain controlled Morocco for about 50 years.

They didn't turn from Black to Caucasian in that time period.
this thread is going well
Spain controlled Morocco for about 50 years.

They didn't turn from Black to Caucasian in that time period.

Yes but there was an awful lot of Jewish emigration, it was still originally black/arabic.
Yes but there was an awful lot of Jewish emigration, it was still originally black/arabic.

Arabs are white if Jews are. They're all the same race.

North Africans like algerians and Moroccans and Libyans aren't arabs they're berber normally.
Original post by Nickierose21
Arabs are white if Jews are. They're all the same race.

North Africans like algerians and Moroccans and Libyans aren't arabs they're berber normally.

and here we have a picture of a berber, they aren't caucasian, black or arabic.
and here we have a picture of a berber, they aren't caucasian, black or arabic.

And? Did you read my last post lol.

I said Arabs were caucasian nothing about Berbers.

My dad was mixed algerian and I consider him mixed not white.

But I must say that guy doesn't look like any of my dad's family or even myself and my mom is west african descent. He'd fit way better in my mom's family and would be a sore thumb in my dad's family.
And? Did you read my last post lol.

I said Arabs were caucasian nothing about Berbers.

My dad was mixed algerian and I consider him mixed not white.

But I must say that guy doesn't look like any of my dad's family or even myself and my mom is west african descent. He'd fit way better in my mom's family and would be a sore thumb in my dad's family.

My point was that north african's aren't caucasian, and any that resemble caucasian are probably descendants of colonists.
Reply 15
why on earth would they be considered african american? :rofl:
My point was that north african's aren't caucasian, and any that resemble caucasian are probably descendants of colonists.

Where did I say they were caucasian?

And the fact that you posted someone that looks nothing like most Algerian people shows your only trying to prove a point and not deal with reality...

I always thought most North African people were mixed race of they were of Berber descent. Posting a picture of one person says nothing about the majority. That's like posting a black american and saying that's how all americans are racially. Pretty sure you know this... To me it seems you're really not being realistic.
Original post by Tai Ga
why on earth would they be considered african american? :rofl:

Why not?

They are african people and that's what their ancestry is when they come here and become american they are technically african American.
Where did I say they were caucasian?

And the fact that you posted someone that looks nothing like most Algerian people shows your only trying to prove a point and not deal with reality...

I always thought most North African people were mixed race of they were of Berber descent. Posting a picture of one person says nothing about the majority. That's like posting a black american and saying that's how all americans are racially. Pretty sure you know this... To me it seems you're really being realistic.

You didn't the OP did..

I was saying that being a berber doesn't make you white, black, arab or otherwise

You don't really make sense, but I am trying to decypher what you've written. Never did I say that was what most Algerians looked like..
You didn't the OP did..

I was saying that being a berber doesn't make you white, black, arab or otherwise

You don't really make sense, but I am trying to decypher what you've written. Never did I say that was what most Algerians looked like..

In the op I specifically said I thought they were black(in other words mixed).

Actually Berber people are the natives of North Africa ethnically.

Then your post has no point.

Latest