The Student Room Group

UNits

Can someone explain what is MPa√a exactly? I have never come across this..
Original post by GPODT

Can someone explain what is MPa√a exactly? I have never come across this..

A long time since I covered this:

KIC = critical stress intensity factor for a mode I crack.

It's a measure of the materials resistance to crack growth. i.e. force needed to propagate an existing thin crack opening under normal tensile stress perpendicular to the crack (when KIC = fracture toughness).

http://simscience.org/cracks/advanced/math1.html
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
A long time since I covered this:

KIC = critical stress intensity factor for a mode I crack.

It's a measure of the materials resistance to crack growth. i.e. force needed to propagate an existing thin crack opening under normal tensile stress perpendicular to the crack (when KIC = fracture toughness).

http://simscience.org/cracks/advanced/math1.html

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was how did they get the units MPa√m for Kic? The √m has confused me.
Original post by GPODT
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was how did they get the units MPa√m for Kic? The √m has confused me.

It means square root of metre

So MPa√m has units

MPam½

Mega pascal √metre

This would come from the units in its defining equation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by GPODT

As Stonebridge pointed out, m\sqrt{m} is the remainder after factoring out Nm2\mathrm{Nm^{-2}} from the final equation definition for KICK_{IC}

E=Youngs modulus=σϵ=Nm2E = \mathrm{Youngs \ modulus} = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon} = \mathrm{Nm^{-2}}

Gc=Toughness=Jm2=Nm.m2=Nm1G_c = \mathrm{Toughness} = \mathrm{Jm^{-2}} = \mathrm{Nm.m^{-2}} = \mathrm{Nm^{-1}}

EGc=Nm2.Nm1=N2m3EG_c = \mathrm{Nm^{-2}}.\mathrm{Nm^{-1}} = \mathrm{N^2m^{-3}}

KIC=EGc=(N2m3)12=Nm32K_{IC} = \sqrt{EG_c} = (\mathrm{N^2m^{-3}})^{\frac{1}{2}} = \mathrm{Nm^{\frac{-3}{2}}}

It's debatable that this is not a very intuitive form for the units (newtons per root metre cubed). I suspect because engineers are concerned more with application and convenience, a more memorable and intuitive unit factors out the exponent and reduces it to pascals root metre.

i.e. since:

Nm2=pascals\mathrm{Nm^{-2}} = \mathrm{pascals}

KIC=Nm32=Nm2.m12=Nm2mK_{IC} = \mathrm{Nm^{\frac{-3}{2}}} = \mathrm{Nm^{-2}.m^{\frac{1}{2}}} = \mathrm{Nm^{-2}\sqrt{m}}

KIC=Pam\therefore K_{IC} = \mathrm{Pa{\sqrt{m}}}
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest