The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frankengine
I know right. Still another 2 weeks probably to go- what I meant when I said the longer the better is I think Slade inform unsuccessful applicants first... I am similarly finding the wait torturous!

Had an interview at Chelsea last Weds which I thought was a total abomination. The woman tore my portfolio to shreds and I had a semi-fight with her about asking the same question 3 times worded differently... Just found her attitude generally pretty unsavoury. HOWEVER got an offer through on Tuesday! Soooo worrying a little now about how smoothly Slade seemed to go. Have you applied anywhere else?

ALSO we definitely didn't have the same people interviewing us by the sounds of things. I had Brighid Lowe who was really lovely and another young guy called Jack Strange (whose work is really cool and I believe with some similarity to my own) alongside Andrew Stahl. I'm thinking maybe they were just nice people who wouldn't have been too brutal either way!

Haha yh I realise now that I had Gussin, Burrows and a lady who I shamefully can't remember ( a painter tho she was ).
Well done on the Chelsea offer! How funny that you got it after the interview was such a debacle, honestly I've no idea how these interviewers judge people in art. How can you argue for someones place at an art school without taste coming into the equation? Literally dont have a klue.

Don't know about you but my idea of what they're going to send through to us is constantly changing like one moment I'll look back at a moment and think oh yh that was a real highlight, maybe/possibly it could be positive. And then I'll be ok and then I'll be like 'and they said this and then I said totally the wrong thing' (insert memory of going on about the local parks and changing over to the BFA *why*....) and the feelings of rejection just come flooding back and I'm just like 'finish me off won't you?'.

In 2011/12 some had heard back by the 23rd in 13/14 some heard by the 28th. Judging by how late we were told about the interviews ('soooo many candidates this year') I reckon we're in for the 28th slot. But whatever it is PLEASE for God's sake reject first and offer later, honestly it would kill someone of a weaker disposition the agony of waiting.

PS was this directed at me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Frankengine
I know right. Still another 2 weeks probably to go- what I meant when I said the longer the better is I think Slade inform unsuccessful applicants first... I am similarly finding the wait torturous!

Had an interview at Chelsea last Weds which I thought was a total abomination. The woman tore my portfolio to shreds and I had a semi-fight with her about asking the same question 3 times worded differently... Just found her attitude generally pretty unsavoury. HOWEVER got an offer through on Tuesday! Soooo worrying a little now about how smoothly Slade seemed to go. Have you applied anywhere else?

ALSO we definitely didn't have the same people interviewing us by the sounds of things. I had Brighid Lowe who was really lovely and another young guy called Jack Strange (whose work is really cool and I believe with some similarity to my own) alongside Andrew Stahl. I'm thinking maybe they were just nice people who wouldn't have been too brutal either way!

Can't believe the sound of your chelsea interview! I had the young guy and he was so chill, I guess the tutors just have completely different interview styles.

I had those three for my slade interview and they were really nice, did you find that Brighid Lowe lead the most of the 3? I felt that she probably challenged me the most and questioned me the most on my work. Also how was Jack Strange in yours? For me he spoke the least however he seemed somewhat engaged with some of my stuff, maybe because my work is similar to his in that its sculptural/installative, but he was probably just being polite haha.

Well done on getting an interview, hope it all goes well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeees the post was in your direction as well as new order! Ahaha "finish me off won't you?"- I know what you mean. Painful memories of things I would never come out with in my right mind..

Yeah I was surprised at the attitude of Chelsea tbh, glad she was more objective than she came across. A graduate friend of mine from Chelsea said this particular woman tends to fairy obviously prefer young men.. Tho I'd like to think we're beyond that kind of cr*p now?

And new order- Brighid Lowe was the one who led the interview especially the first part (I felt like)- although the other two did ask questions here and there. Jack strange played around with my work and flicked through my sketchbooks a fair bit altho he just asked functional questions (like "can I touch this sculpture?" Haha). Really well done to you too and lets hope the wait isn't too much longer!
(edited 9 years ago)
So from what you've all been discussing I've discovered I had Jack Strange, Brighid Lowe and Andrew Stahl too. Lord help me I almost wish I hadn't found out.

Goldsmiths didn't go well, I'm not expecting a positive response. But then that makes me feel a bit better about Slade, especially as I've been told they don't tend to take the same kinds of students
Original post by ieestok
So from what you've all been discussing I've discovered I had Jack Strange, Brighid Lowe and Andrew Stahl too. Lord help me I almost wish I hadn't found out.

Goldsmiths didn't go well, I'm not expecting a positive response. But then that makes me feel a bit better about Slade, especially as I've been told they don't tend to take the same kinds of students

What did they ask you at goldsmiths?? :smile:
Btw if you're female you stand slightly better odds than us males, Last year had a ratio of around 18:25. The 2014 degree show for BA/BFA was about 14:24. (did people drop out?) and the 2012 show 17:23.

Perhaps this represents the Male/Female ratio of the wider Arts industry or perhaps more significantly it represents the influence of 'first female professor of the Slade' and director Susan Collins? (haha almost certainly not if the 2012 show, from graduates prior to her appointment, are stuck in a similar ratio).
Original post by bertiewallace123
Btw if you're female you stand slightly better odds than us males, Last year had a ratio of around 18:25. The 2014 degree show for BA/BFA was about 14:24. (did people drop out?) and the 2012 show 17:23.

Perhaps this represents the Male/Female ratio of the wider Arts industry or perhaps more significantly it represents the influence of 'first female professor of the Slade' and director Susan Collins? (haha almost certainly not if the 2012 show, from graduates prior to her appointment, are stuck in a similar ratio).

Nah, I think it's more of a reflection on applicants. You find that because of gender roles, females are groomed to do more 'softer' subjects like Art and English and males are urged towards 'harder' subjects aka The Sciences. They probably have more females because more females apply than males. During my open days and interviews I usually see way more females than males; when I went for an open day for biomedical science there were so many males but with art it was more females. :smile:
Original post by Omniscellula
Nah, I think it's more of a reflection on applicants. You find that because of gender roles, females are groomed to do more 'softer' subjects like Art and English and males are urged towards 'harder' subjects aka The Sciences. They probably have more females because more females apply than males. During my open days and interviews I usually see way more females than males; when I went for an open day for biomedical science there were so many males but with art it was more females. :smile:

yh that was my point. reflects the creative applicants throughout the UK.

Although it is partly to do with how people are groomed I believe its a lot more to do with how our brains work. The average male brain isn't as 'flighty' or 'creative' as the average female brain which is more emotive, Like with all generalisations there are obviously exceptions to this rule but thats the general rule of thumb.

Science subjects in general contain a wealth of males on the 'autistic' spectrum (only 1/4 of those on the spectrum are female) whose brains function mainly in the left side of the brain, they are the antithesis of creative types who function on the right side of the brain, (again these are generalisations and there are many exceptions)
yh that was my point. reflects the creative applicants throughout the UK.

Although it is partly to do with how people are groomed I believe its a lot more to do with how our brains work. The average male brain isn't as 'flighty' or 'creative' as the average female brain which is more emotive, Like with all generalisations there are obviously exceptions to this rule but thats the general rule of thumb.

Science subjects in general contain a wealth of males on the 'autistic' spectrum (only 1/4 of those on the spectrum are female) whose brains function mainly in the left side of the brain, they are the antithesis of creative types who function on the right side of the brain, (again these are generalisations and there are many exceptions)

Oh sorry, I thought you meant that female stood at a better chance because of the ratio. Was just trying to say that they don't, as the ratio is reflective of applicants gender not whether they pick female or males.

Actually, many studies suggest that there's nothing inherently biologically 'flightly' or 'creative' in the average female brain, or the opposite for the average male brain, rather these things arise from gender roles. but that's another can of worms. :smile:
Original post by Omniscellula
Oh sorry, I thought you meant that female stood at a better chance because of the ratio. Was just trying to say that they don't, as the ratio is reflective of applicants gender not whether they pick female or males.

Actually, many studies suggest that there's nothing inherently biologically 'flightly' or 'creative' in the average female brain, or the opposite for the average male brain, rather these things arise from gender roles. but that's another can of worms. :smile:

haha you were right in that my initial point stated that females stand a better chance because they are female. Which is, in fact, as you then rightly say not because of their gender but reflective of the ratio of applicants. So thanks for correcting me. :smile:

I suppose at this point its a case of studies v studies. I'm sure you have a wealth of entirely valid studies and so do I, but as you say that whole thing is another can of worms, and one id rather not open!
Reply 890
It's social conditioning alright. In the same way as there's more posh art students then those from underprivileged backgrounds. It doesn't mean that they are less talented.
Lets cut the chat, its a nature vs nurture debate here. Obviously its not 100% nature, 100% nurture, but I'm saying 40% Nuture 60% Nature. In regards to the posh art students vs poor art students usually the more talented and greater artists come from poorer backgrounds, largely because they've got something to say than the posh students who use it more as a social tool.
Original post by amberhahn1
What did they ask you at goldsmiths?? :smile:

It was weird, there weren't any questions which seemed like they would ask everyone. Mine was bad though, so I wouldn't take heed from it. They seemed really unconvinced by everything I was saying and kept pulling weird faces at things I said, and even dismissed the piece I was talking about as though I was faking/bull****ting to bulk my portfolio (it was probably the second strongest piece in there). They didn't say "tell us about this piece" or anything, they just left me to talk, and I actually asked if there was anything in my portfolio they would like me to discuss and they say no, they wanted me to decide what I was talking about. Also, worth noting that mine was for Fine Art with History of Art

Expect to get a token weird question. Mine was "what was the last film you really hated", in the past I've heard of people having all sorts of things.

Good luck!
In regards to the posh art students vs poor art students usually the more talented and greater artists come from poorer backgrounds, largely because they've got something to say than the posh students who use it more as a social tool.

I'm aware that artists from 'poorer' backgrounds tend to go places but I always assumed it was because it's harder to work your way up and to get recognised and takes a lot more hard word than for those from 'richer' backgrounds.

It would be interesting to see Slades state vs private education ratio (as a basic indicater of "rich and poor"), because one would assume UCL has a natural bias towards private (high grade requirements etc) but presumably Slade would be fairly different. They said at the open studios that last year they had like 9 people who didn't meet UCL's grade requirements which they made special cases for - a quarter of their intake.

I'm also interested as to what you mean by "social tool", specifically?
Original post by ieestok
It was weird, there weren't any questions which seemed like they would ask everyone. Mine was bad though, so I wouldn't take heed from it. They seemed really unconvinced by everything I was saying and kept pulling weird faces at things I said, and even dismissed the piece I was talking about as though I was faking/bull****ting to bulk my portfolio (it was probably the second strongest piece in there). They didn't say "tell us about this piece" or anything, they just left me to talk, and I actually asked if there was anything in my portfolio they would like me to discuss and they say no, they wanted me to decide what I was talking about. Also, worth noting that mine was for Fine Art with History of Art

Expect to get a token weird question. Mine was "what was the last film you really hated", in the past I've heard of people having all sorts of things.

Good luck!

that sounds like a typical goldsmiths interview haha, i wouldn't worry about it too much, it seems like goldsmiths like to challenge people excessively to see if they can cope with extreme negative criticism. I honestly think it was an act by them, from what i've read online they seem to do that a lot, you got an interview so they clearly like what you do.

I have to say i hate token weird questions like that, it just seems to me like a bit of a desperate attempt to come across as quirky or different.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by neworder_
that sounds like a typical goldsmiths interview haha, i wouldn't worry about it too much, it seems like goldsmiths like to challenge people excessively to see if they can cope with extreme negative criticism. I honestly think it was an act by them, from what i've read online they seem to do that a lot, you got an interview so they clearly like what you do.

I have to say i hate token weird questions like that, it just seems to me like a bit of a desperate attempt to come across as quirky or different.

Idk, I just got a really bad vibe off the interview I guess. Won't hear back from them for weeks though, so I'll know the other two first.
Sounds like a standard goldsmiths interview to me. Hope you get an offer !

Ah, looked at when they heard back last year and some didnt hear back till the 3rd of April. THE THIRD. thats three days after the UCL remit, also they stated on one of the UCAS rejections that UCL couldn't accept the person because of 'her academic credentials', so UCL care about the grades, Slade don't.
ahhh the big 2 3 tomorrow guys ( or I should say today), anyways.. I have my goldsmiths interview today, so I guess I will update you guys on that during the wait. Hopefully they'll tear my work up in front of me so I can cry, film it and call it a performance piece. anywho.
Reply 898
Good luck
The wait feels like it's gone surprisingly quickly. I kind of just got on with stuff and then suddenly it's this week we'll hear back (probably).

Quick Reply

Latest