The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BIOCH3M
How am I suppose to know that Ca(OH)2 (s) + NH4Cl (s) releases ammonia gas?

It's a question, but I don't understand why the answer is
NH4Cl (s) + Ca(OH)2 --> CaCl2 + 2NH3 (g) + H2O (g)?

Well if you react them together you're not going to get magnesium oxide are you?
Just think logically about if you compounds consist of various elements, what standard compounds could be formed as products:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
Well if you react them together you're not going to get magnesium oxide are you?
Just think logically about if you compounds consist of various elements, what standard compounds could be formed as products:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks that makes sense, unfortunately chemistry is not my forté
What do you actually need to revise for an aqa as level empa written exam? I know I'm probably gonna get a bad grade at the end of the year for the other units but I really need to get a good grade in my empa. Plus my teacher hasn't been in for weeks and she's no help! Can someone please give me some advise on what to revise for my empa exam?😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BIOCH3M
Thanks that makes sense, unfortunately chemistry is not my forté

If you need help just holla:smile:
A2 Student atm with an A at AS
You do edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
If you need help just holla:smile:
A2 Student atm with an A at AS
You do edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do OCR A, how did you manage to get an A at AS :O
Original post by BIOCH3M
I do OCR A, how did you manage to get an A at AS :O

You just do lots of past papers really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hellloooooo. Okay so I have my evaluative exam tomorrow on the enthalpy change of combustion (OCR A).

I am just doing some calculations and came across this Q (for those doing OCR A AS its p199 1b):

Given the following enthalpy changes of combustion C(s) = -394 kJmol, H2(g) = -286kJmol, C2H5OH(l) = -1367 kJmol

Determine the enthalpy change for:

2C(s) + 3H2(g) + 1/2O2(g) = C2H5OH(l).

So I followed the worked example but because I haven't been given the enthalpy change of combustion for oxygen, I had no idea how I was supposed to work out deltaH.

I did 2(-394) + 3(-286) + unknown enthalpy change of combustion for 1/2 O2 = delta H + -1367.

= -1646 + unknown enthalpy of combustion for 1/2 O2 - -1367

= -279 + 1/2 O2 = delta H.

The answer in the book is -279kJmol-1, but I don't understand! What happens with the oxygen? Doesn't it affect anything? I just can't get my head around it. Thank you to anyone that helps you may be the reason I don't fail tomorrow lol :biggrin:
Original post by Georgiam247
Hellloooooo. Okay so I have my evaluative exam tomorrow on the enthalpy change of combustion (OCR A).

I am just doing some calculations and came across this Q (for those doing OCR A AS its p199 1b):

Given the following enthalpy changes of combustion C(s) = -394 kJmol, H2(g) = -286kJmol, C2H5OH(l) = -1367 kJmol

Determine the enthalpy change for:

2C(s) + 3H2(g) + 1/2O2(g) = C2H5OH(l).

So I followed the worked example but because I haven't been given the enthalpy change of combustion for oxygen, I had no idea how I was supposed to work out deltaH.

I did 2(-394) + 3(-286) + unknown enthalpy change of combustion for 1/2 O2 = delta H + -1367.

= -1646 + unknown enthalpy of combustion for 1/2 O2 - -1367

= -279 + 1/2 O2 = delta H.

The answer in the book is -279kJmol-1, but I don't understand! What happens with the oxygen? Doesn't it affect anything? I just can't get my head around it. Thank you to anyone that helps you may be the reason I don't fail tomorrow lol :biggrin:

Is it because oxygen is an element in its standard state therefore its standard enthalpy is 0? So it effectively doesn't count?
Original post by Disney0702
I guess the reason why I love Amount of Substances is because I love Maths and for me Amount of Substances is the best way I can exercise my Maths skills in a different subject.

No you're not being nosy at all :wink:

I student Maths, Physics and of course Chemistry.

I dropped English Literature at AS because I knew I would've neglected putting effort into it until the end of the year, even though I loved the subject, I didn't want to put that kind of stress on myself as I knew deep down I will always prioritise Maths and Sciences.

Uh outside school hours I'd spend at least 4.5 hours a day in general for school work but most of the time I use that time to do Maths homework because my teacher gives my class a crap load to do everyday :angry:

I cannot give you an approx figure as to how many hours I spend for each subject because how I use my time depends on how much work I get given from my teachers and whether I'll have enough time after to do my own independent revision.

But I think its safe to say most of my weekend is revision and consolidating time.

I hope that helps.

Now I hope I'm not being nosy by asking what other A - Levels you do. :colondollar:

Currently for AS I'm studying Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and ICT. ICT is kind of just the back up and hopefully I can drop that at the end of they year so its just an AS. I also spend a lot of time doing maths homework as we go through one chapter in like 3, 50 minutes lessons so we have a lot of work to do.
My weekend is kind of homework and then revising as well. I get a lot of chemistry homework too. We get two whole booklets nearly every week for the day after and if we don't do them we just get kicked out the room.

What are you hoping to do at university can I ask
Original post by zhang-liao
Okay, I just made two documents about Organic Chemistry, one to do with the uses of halogenoalkanes and the other relevant to the nucleophillic subsitution mechanisms you're expected to learn for AS :tongue:

I've explained everything about nucleophillic substitution in the booklet including the mechanism for both alcohols and amines as well as an explanation behind each step for each mechanism. Hope it helps.

All the images I took were from either, chemguide.co.uk, chemrevise.org or masterorganicchemistry.com :smile:

Hope it helps :smile:

A rep would nice :biggrin:

Nice, thanks for making these :smile:
Original post by Nidfeo
Nice, thanks for making these :smile:

You're welcome :smile:

PM/VM me if you want anyone more revision resources for chemistry, I'm happy making them :smile:
Original post by zhang-liao
You're welcome :smile:

PM/VM me if you want anyone more revision resources for chemistry, I'm happy making them :smile:

As we're on different exam boards, I don't think some of the content will be relevant, but if I do need anything, I will definitely contact you!
Original post by Nidfeo
As we're on different exam boards, I don't think some of the content will be relevant, but if I do need anything, I will definitely contact you!

Yeah, I guess so, some of the stuff we learn are slightly different but do feel free to contact me though :smile:
Original post by Georgiam247
Is it because oxygen is an element in its standard state therefore its standard enthalpy is 0? So it effectively doesn't count?

The enthalpy change of combustion is defined as: the enthalpy change that takes place when 1 mole of a substance reacts completely with oxygen under standard conditions.
It is expressed with the quantities:

energy/mole of fuel (kJ.mol) {this is primarily what we use in 2.3 }

energy/mass of fuel

energy/volume of fuel

If you look at the example on page 193, CuSO4 (aq) is reacted with excess Magnesium. Again the figure for [delta]H is only the change for CuSO4 not Mg!

I believe this is because the Carbon and Hydrogen, going back to your question, are the fuels that are reacted and oxygen just allows the reaction to happen. Also by definition the reacting substances must be 1 mole and in your reaction oxygen is not...

Sorry if I complicated things even more for you, but I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by Fluffay
The enthalpy change of combustion is defined as: the enthalpy change that takes place when 1 mole of a substance reacts completely with oxygen under standard conditions.
It is expressed with the quantities:

energy/mole of fuel (kJ.mol) {this is primarily what we use in 2.3 }

energy/mass of fuel

energy/volume of fuel

If you look at the example on page 193, CuSO4 (aq) is reacted with excess Magnesium. Again the figure for [delta]H is only the change for CuSO4 not Mg!

I believe this is because the Carbon and Hydrogen, going back to your question, are the fuels that are reacted and oxygen just allows the reaction to happen. Also by definition the reacting substances must be 1 mole and in your reaction oxygen is not...

Sorry if I complicated things even more for you, but I hope this helped :smile:

No no that's brilliant! Thank you very much :smile:
Hey everyone :smile:
What do you guys do to revise for paper 3? (Lab skills)
Been told it's usually the easiest of the three papers, but I really suck at "suggest..." questions and all of that :C
Are there any good sources that'll help me out?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by marklowell96
Who wants the Edexcel Chemistry Controlled Assessment?

:lol: very funny...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by marklowell96
You think I dont have it?
I don't know how you got it but if you did, why would you give it away on a public form, you could get in trouble MR...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest