The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jadealycia
I don't think they're in date order because my interview was 11th feb and I got my offer on the first day of offers. Don't panic!! :smile:

Yeah I'm trying not too. Xxx Liv is the only one I have applied for so I'm terrified lol xxx congratulations when did you get your offer? Xxx will you be choosing Liv ad firm? Xxx
(edited 9 years ago)
Aww thank you!
I received it on the 13th!
Yes I have already firmed Liverpool. I love the city and the vet school is amazing! Cannot wait. Hopefully will be seeing you there! :smile: xxx
Just firmed the RVC, so will hopefully be seeing some of you there come September! :biggrin:
Reply 6603
Original post by DKR4810
Thank you :smile: it's just annoying seeing people describe a degree that you have done as irrelevant! I think it's important to just understand that not everyone gets into vet school the traditional way :smile:

Amen to this. Doing biovet and then vet was so perfect for me and I got 3 offers as a first time applicant. I don't think I would've if Id applied at 18 (and even if I had I was a bit of a loose cannon haha).

Negativity towards it tends to be from people who actually have no idea about doing a degree/have never done one and have had getting into vet school fresh out of school drummed into them. I don't blame them, when I first arrived at uni some of the first year vets were negative, luckily things change, people realise not all biovets are 'failed vet applicants' and especially celebrating my offers, I have never felt like I've had more supportive friends than all my vet pals who understand the hard work done in my degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SJS11
Amen to this. Doing biovet and then vet was so perfect for me and I got 3 offers as a first time applicant. I don't think I would've if Id applied at 18 (and even if I had I was a bit of a loose cannon haha).

Negativity towards it tends to be from people who actually have no idea about doing a degree/have never done one and have had getting into vet school fresh out of school drummed into them. I don't blame them, when I first arrived at uni some of the first year vets were negative, luckily things change, people realise not all biovets are 'failed vet applicants' and especially celebrating my offers, I have never felt like I've had more supportive friends than all my vet pals who understand the hard work done in my degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree :smile: I have a friend at RVC who also did Biovet and says now she is often asked to help other vet students who don't have her experience or knowledge gained from her first degree and they are really grateful to her and understand the hard work she put in! I just think some people need to have a bit more respect and not class degrees like Biovet as irrelevant when there are at least two of us on here with 3 first time offers after doing one! Yes we didn't do it the traditional way but we will all end up as vets!
Reply 6605
Original post by DKR4810
Totally agree :smile: I have a friend at RVC who also did Biovet and says now she is often asked to help other vet students who don't have her experience or knowledge gained from her first degree and they are really grateful to her and understand the hard work she put in! I just think some people need to have a bit more respect and not class degrees like Biovet as irrelevant when there are at least two of us on here with 3 first time offers after doing one! Yes we didn't do it the traditional way but we will all end up as vets!

I think the problem for some people is that there is no way that they could afford to do veterinary medicine as a postgraduate degree. In scotland we get free undergraduate education, however a postgrad degree costs roughly £21,000+ a year and so is mot feasable for many people, including myself.
Original post by Daalex
I think the problem for some people is that there is no way that they could afford to do veterinary medicine as a postgraduate degree. In scotland we get free undergraduate education, however a postgrad degree costs roughly £21,000+ a year and so is mot feasable for many people, including myself.

That's not a reason to class it as irrelevant! A post grad degree is £9000 in England, and yes it is expensive and yes it will be difficult to afford but there are ways of doing it! I am using savings, working throughout my first degree and the holidays, and seeking sponsorship and crowdfunding to make this work and I won't get a student loan and will also have debt from my first degree. Obviously if you can get into vet school straight from school that's great but for some of us doing another degree first is a great choice and it shouldn't be looked down upon! I don't want to start an argument I think maybe just think about what you are saying before classing someone's degree that they have worked for three years to achieve as irrelevant when it has enabled them to achieve their dream and go to vet school! We all want the same thing in the end and should be supportive of any route of getting there! :smile:
Original post by Daalex

I think this may be why people may see the degree as "irrelevant" (which I don't :P ) because in theory you can go and do a postgraduate vet med course but in reality many people do not have the amount of money needed for this which I think is a real shame. More needs to be done to help people get to their chosen career such as help with funding a second degree.
Reply 6608
Original post by DKR4810
That's not a reason to class it as irrelevant! A post grad degree is £9000 in England, and yes it is expensive and yes it will be difficult to afford but there are ways of doing it! I am using savings, working throughout my first degree and the holidays, and seeking sponsorship and crowdfunding to make this work and I won't get a student loan and will also have debt from my first degree. Obviously if you can get into vet school straight from school that's great but for some of us doing another degree first is a great choice and it shouldn't be looked down upon! I don't want to start an argument I think maybe just think about what you are saying before classing someone's degree that they have worked for three years to achieve as irrelevant when it has enabled them to achieve their dream and go to vet school! We all want the same thing in the end and should be supportive of any route of getting there! :smile:

Oh no i'm not saying it is irrelevant at all, i think it's a great way to get to vet school! 😊 i just meant for some people this isn't an option, i personally can't even afford the £9000 english uni fees nevermind £21000. I think it shows great dedication and is very impressive to go the route of a doing vet as a post grad. I apologise i my previous post came across the wrong way :smile: x
Original post by Daalex
Oh no i'm not saying it is irrelevant at all, i think it's a great way to get to vet school! 😊 i just meant for some people this isn't an option, i personally can't even afford the £9000 english uni fees nevermind £21000. I think it shows great dedication and is very impressive to go the route of a doing vet as a post grad. I apologise i my previous post came across the wrong way :smile: x

It is a shame that we have to consider money at all :frown: thank you :smile:
Is there any point going to an RVC offer holders day if it is my only offer? I live quite close to London (less than an hours' drive or less on the train) so getting there wouldn't be a problem I just didn't know if it was worth it if I don't have any decisions to make and I know I like the RVC?
Original post by Vethopeful1996
Is there any point going to an RVC offer holders day if it is my only offer? I live quite close to London (less than an hours' drive or less on the train) so getting there wouldn't be a problem I just didn't know if it was worth it if I don't have any decisions to make and I know I like the RVC?

I would go, meet some people, get some contact details, and start making friends. You may find they tell you loads more at the offer day than at your previous visits. D
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vethopeful1996

I'm pretty sure that I know what my decision is gonna be but I'm still going to meet some potential future classmates :smile: I'm sure we'll be given a load of useful infomation on prep for the course (buying equipment etc), accommodation, and all that jazz too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on all the offers guys! You'll all make great vets!

Im asking cause I'm an impatient little being.. And can't remember if I've asked! Have Liverpool still to hand out any interview dates or is that everyone? They are the only ones I have to hear back from and ,arch is looming to a close :/
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Congrats on all the offers guys! You'll all make great vets!

Im asking cause I'm an impatient little being.. And can't remember if I've asked! Have Liverpool still to hand out any interview dates or is that everyone? They are the only ones I have to hear back from and ,arch is looming to a close :/

I checked on their work experience form and the last date was the 18th, but they may have a few more depending on how many interviews they have given out.
Original post by qwerty135
I checked on their work experience form and the last date was the 18th, but they may have a few more depending on how many interviews they have given out.

Okay thanks :smile: everyone should hear back before he 31st March yeah?

That's what they said so fingers crossed!!
Good luck!
Ahhhhhhhhhh - Offer from Edinburgh came today :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: It still has not quite sunk in - I'm so over the moon!

31/3 is the date uni's should try to respond by, but they don't have to. I think 7/5/15 is the date uni's must decide by. I think the clearest summary if key admissions dates us at ..
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-deadlines-key-application-dates

i think... Without real evidence, so may be wrong, that lpool and Surrey are adding extra interview days ,,, certainly Surrey are interviewing on Friday 27/3/15, so may not get back to those on hold until later than that date... I am waiting to hear from Surrey. Last year they held people until at least 7/4/14, according to the 2014 thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
I think you have to decide something fundamental here ....

* Do you want to be a Vet? (yes, put down both Vet offers in order of preference).
* Do you just want to 'go to Uni', actual course/career irrelevant? (yes, put down Biovet Sci, and forget the other 2 offers).

Biovet isn't an irrelevant degree, it's one of the major routes into veterinary science if you don't go through the A-level route!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending