The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Veggiechic6
Hey chaps

I have my 4 day special needs placement next week at a school for children with severe and profound learning difficulties. I'll be working with KS1 (I'm primary PGCE) but I've no idea what to expect really. I've never worked with SEN children before. Has anyone else worked in a special school and can give me any more idea about how classes are taught to cater for a wide range of severe/multiple learning difficulties?

You guys are so lucky that you only have a few months left of the course. I started my PGCE in February so I don't finish until December. I've been following this thread, it's nice to know what's coming!

I don't think you need to prepare yourself for the teaching side of things... but if you haven't had that much experience with children with SLD/PMLD then it may take some time getting used to seeing some of the children with their difficulties. I've worked with a number of children with PMLD (not in school) and there is a huge variation (e.g. children who can walk but are non-verbal, children who can't even have solid food, children who have oxygen masks nearby in case they stop breathing, children who have several epileptic fits a day, children who are in wheelchairs, children who cannot go to the toilet, children who have very limited communication, and a number of other difficulties)
Original post by Ratchit99
Think it would probably be good for current peeps too, we all need to read some positivity sometimes.

On a side note, all sorted on my side, go back in to my placement school monday but its a case of see how i go and theres the option to move placement if things dont improve.
I have actively decided not to to through to NqT and talked to my employing school yesterday, they were dissapointed but very kind about it all, and i feel like a weight has been lifted. Just need to finish the course!

Thanks for the update. I admire your decision to back out of your NQT. I've decided not to go to my interview next week. Of course it doesn't mean I'd have gotten it anyway, but the fact that I was hoping I didn't said it all.

We are all so close to the end now. There's no need to do your NQT in September if you feel you're not ready. I'm exploring other options but it feels scary because I don't know what to do :dontknow: . I'm sure it will all work out eventually...
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I feel like death warmed up and I have a thousand and one things to do. My temperature is high and I feel like everything hurts.

My sister is in hospital and I'm not allowed to visit her while sick too so that's making me feel even worse :frown:

I hope you and your sister are okay. Illness is even more of a burden on the PGCE (and in the teaching career in general) .It is like we are not allowed to get sick and then you feel really guilty about it. At least you still have tomorrow to feel a bit better. Lie in bed, have chicken soup and keep warm. If you're still like this on Monday then don't force yourself in. There is nothing worse than teaching a class when feeling like death. Last time I did that I could have cried I felt so ill.

I'm having to go to hospital to get my wisdom teeth out because they are giving me a lot of pain and my school are being a bit funny about it, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to say :dontknow: . I have had a lot of time off because of an operation and it's just bad timing that my teeth have acted up for the first time in four years :rolleyes: .
Original post by Airfairy
I hope you and your sister are okay. Illness is even more of a burden on the PGCE (and in the teaching career in general) .It is like we are not allowed to get sick and then you feel really guilty about it. At least you still have tomorrow to feel a bit better. Lie in bed, have chicken soup and keep warm. If you're still like this on Monday then don't force yourself in. There is nothing worse than teaching a class when feeling like death. Last time I did that I could have cried I felt so ill.

I'm having to go to hospital to get my wisdom teeth out because they are giving me a lot of pain and my school are being a bit funny about it, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to say :dontknow: . I have had a lot of time off because of an operation and it's just bad timing that my teeth have acted up for the first time in four years :rolleyes: .
http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy0zZmUxZGY4YjZkNjE5Njlm.png
Can I have your opinion on something please :smile:

I have a task to do for an interview for a job in EYFS/ KS1 (dependent on candidate). Anyway all of my training so far has been in EYFS and the task is with 6 KS1 children. The task says 'A 15 minute reading activity based on a book of your choice follows by a 5 minute discussion on how you would extend the activity and identify the learning expectations and opportunity'.

My first thought was doing a lesson on rhyming words. I have a book called cluck o clock which is a rhyming story about what a day is like from a chicken's perspective (it's rather funny).
I was thinking about introducing rhyming words, asking them if they know what they are, then giving some examples. Reading the story and emphasising the rhyming words and then recapping on the first word and getting the children to say the other word in the rhyming sentence. Then for some words where they have the same end spelling, I am thinking about using some cards to show changing the first letters to make a different word that sounds the same at the end. I then will end by doing a tennis activity where I say a word and a child has to bat a rhyming word back to me.

Does that sound too much for 15 minutes?
Then I would extend the activity by linking in their phonetic knowledge, learning about homophones and writing nonsense poems from the new rhyming words that have been learned,
Then from the book itself I could link in sequencing, time and developing understanding of life on a farm.

Opinions please :smile:
I do want to add a bit of positivity to the thread (and to anybody reading!)

I'm 21, fresh out of education myself - Went straight from school to sixth form to uni to the PGCE because for me, there is no other option than teaching.

It's still slightly daunting being the youngest one on my course/on placement but I'm much more used to it now.

The trouble with the PGCE is that your experience is pretty much entirely dependent on your mentor and your placement school. My first placement school, whilst not bad by any means, was definitely tough - it was a good school striving to reach outstanding and as such, I feel as though during my observations, I was treated as an actual teacher rather than someone who had never been in a classroom before now. I was required to give lesson plans in 24 hours in advance and it just was not the right school for me. I felt miserable and stressed for most of placement 1 and became close to dropping out twice...

It's now nearly 6 weeks in to placement two and I'm the happiest I've been - I love teaching, I don't have to take work home with me and I have a social life.
I've found an absolutely amazing nqt position. The exact type of school I want in the location I want but I'm so nervous about applying that I can't even fill in the form :/

It is rediculous. We wouldn't feel guilty about a day off in a regular job but on placement I feel like I let my department and my pupils down. I've only missed three school days since starting and I still worry about taking more.

Feeling a bit better today. Still coughing but the temperature and aches have backed off. Going to go and play on my boat for a little while to just chill out. These next two weeks are the worst for me and I just need to relax before I throw myself in to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samus2

I'm 21, fresh out of education myself - Went straight from school to sixth form to uni to the PGCE because for me, there is no other option than teaching.

It's still slightly daunting being the youngest one on my course/on placement but I'm much more used to it now.

The trouble with the PGCE is that your experience is pretty much entirely dependent on your mentor and your placement school. My first placement school, whilst not bad by any means, was definitely tough - it was a good school striving to reach outstanding and as such, I feel as though during my observations, I was treated as an actual teacher rather than someone who had never been in a classroom before now. I was required to give lesson plans in 24 hours in advance and it just was not the right school for me. I felt miserable and stressed for most of placement 1 and became close to dropping out twice...

It's now nearly 6 weeks in to placement two and I'm the happiest I've been - I love teaching, I don't have to take work home with me and I have a social life.

I'm really happy for you but also really jealous :P Nice to see some positivity though.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I've found an absolutely amazing nqt position. The exact type of school I want in the location I want but I'm so nervous about applying that I can't even fill in the form :/

It is rediculous. We wouldn't feel guilty about a day off in a regular job but on placement I feel like I let my department and my pupils down. I've only missed three school days since starting and I still worry about taking more.

Feeling a bit better today. Still coughing but the temperature and aches have backed off. Going to go and play on my boat for a little while to just chill out. These next two weeks are the worst for me and I just need to relax before I throw myself in to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you nervous about applying for that job?

I'm also jealous of you. You have a boat? It is days like today when the sun is shining and I'm sat in feeling sick from depression that I really wish I had a hobby that involved the outdoors.
Original post by xxstace123xx
Can I have your opinion on something please :smile:

I have a task to do for an interview for a job in EYFS/ KS1 (dependent on candidate). Anyway all of my training so far has been in EYFS and the task is with 6 KS1 children. The task says 'A 15 minute reading activity based on a book of your choice follows by a 5 minute discussion on how you would extend the activity and identify the learning expectations and opportunity'.

My first thought was doing a lesson on rhyming words. I have a book called cluck o clock which is a rhyming story about what a day is like from a chicken's perspective (it's rather funny).
I was thinking about introducing rhyming words, asking them if they know what they are, then giving some examples. Reading the story and emphasising the rhyming words and then recapping on the first word and getting the children to say the other word in the rhyming sentence. Then for some words where they have the same end spelling, I am thinking about using some cards to show changing the first letters to make a different word that sounds the same at the end. I then will end by doing a tennis activity where I say a word and a child has to bat a rhyming word back to me.

Does that sound too much for 15 minutes?
Then I would extend the activity by linking in their phonetic knowledge, learning about homophones and writing nonsense poems from the new rhyming words that have been learned,
Then from the book itself I could link in sequencing, time and developing understanding of life on a farm.

Opinions please :smile:

Hey, I like your idea overall. However, I have just done a placement in Y1 and I am not sure how many of them would get the spelling, in such a short space of time. It depends on their level of course, but I think it's something to bear in mind. I think the rhyming activities would take up the 15 minutes by themselves
Original post by Samus2

Glad to hear this :smile: I have my fingers crossed that my second placement will be better too!
Original post by adastraz
Hey, I like your idea overall. However, I have just done a placement in Y1 and I am not sure how many of them would get the spelling, in such a short space of time. It depends on their level of course, but I think it's something to bear in mind. I think the rhyming activities would take up the 15 minutes by themselves

The children are working above age related expectations in this school. I have decided to do something else though haha, decided it was a bit dull.

I am going to read the story Tiddler then stop when he gets caught and released into the middle of the ocean by himself. I am then going to do an activity using a big fish template where they are going to get into the character of Tiddler give me adjectives to describe what he is feeling (inside of fish) and what he can see/ hear/ touch/ smell/ taste (outside of fish).

I think it will be better as they have more involvement and I have 5 minutes at the end to tell the staff how I would extend it.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Veggiechic6
Hey chaps

I have my 4 day special needs placement next week at a school for children with severe and profound learning difficulties. I'll be working with KS1 (I'm primary PGCE) but I've no idea what to expect really. I've never worked with SEN children before. Has anyone else worked in a special school and can give me any more idea about how classes are taught to cater for a wide range of severe/multiple learning difficulties?

You guys are so lucky that you only have a few months left of the course. I started my PGCE in February so I don't finish until December. I've been following this thread, it's nice to know what's coming!

I agree with the others. I think you will have a good experience there. I did experience at a special needs school (not the severe disabilities school though). From what I remember, it was 5 years ago, it was much the same but with a lot smaller classes and the work was at a lot slower level. It is ver rewarding. For example I worked with a Yr6 class who were amazed that they could count to 20. It was interesting in many senses as these kids' accomplishments were things thing we took for granted.
In all honesty (and this was before I dropped QTS), made me wonder if I would prefer to go into this field instead.
Original post by xxstace123xx
The children are working above age related expectations in this school. I have decided to do something else though haha, decided it was a bit dull.

I am going to read the story Tiddler then stop when he gets caught and released into the middle of the ocean by himself. I am then going to do an activity using a big fish template where they are going to get into the character of Tiddler give me adjectives to describe what he is feeling (inside of fish) and what he can see/ hear/ touch/ smell/ taste (outside of fish).

I think it will be better as they have more involvement and I have 5 minutes at the end to tell the staff how I would extend it.

Thanks for your help :smile:

I really like that idea, there are lots of places you can go from there. Can also get some great discussion out of it and it's a really good way to get them to consider others ideas (both the fish and their peers).

I was gonna say beware of getting KS1 to come up with rhyming words all on their own. This is a thing lots of them really struggle with for a long while for some reason. You get a few who can list them in nursery but some who aren't there till KS2. That's the nature of phase one... Its ongoing!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Fair enough. Solved the issue with a title change.

I really liked the old title. but I agree with the reasons for having a more neutral title. Also, as one of the more positive posters on this thread, I don't think there needed to be anything different for positive comments. Such a big part of the PGCE is the difficulties and stress you face, and so much of the enjoyment comes from overcoming those (often after a significant battle) - sticking to one thread allows that journey to be expressed from beginning to end. And equally, where someone is completely stuck with how to deal with something, there should be more traffic if there's just one discussion thread for us to post on. Long story short - I agree with the changes made.

Back to school for the last week before the holidays this week. Annoyingly I've lost my Friday double periods two weeks in a row with my year 8 top sets (charity event last week and half day to finish school this one), which means I've had to squeeze a topic that was already behind schedule when I was given it into two lessons. On top of that, they're a class that can get a bit out of hand behaviour wise, and it's been difficult to instill my routine when I only see them for 50 minutes a week. For our last lesson on Tuesday I have a dissection planned for 2/3s of the class, and the remaining - chatty and disruptive - other pupils will be taking part in a writing activity. The reasons I have chosen the pupils who sit out will be made clear. I think for this class, it's make or break here - they'll either rebel massively and it'll be a real fight to get them back, or they'll realise that I mean business and come back from Easter in a less disruptive mood. Unfortunately, I know which outcome my money's on...
Uni tutor coming tomorrow, feel so stressed out.
Original post by Red Lightning
Uni tutor coming tomorrow, feel so stressed out.

I feel you. Uni tutor visits are my least favourite part of the entire course because they hold all the power! It always seems they are 95% criticism and 5% praise too

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel you. Uni tutor visits are my least favourite part of the entire course because they hold all the power! It always seems they are 95% criticism and 5% praise too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it. I got 24 hours notice for my last uni tutor observation, and it was on the last day of the placement! Nightmare.
Got another interview today. Little confused because it is next week - I thought all schools would be on easter break next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got another interview today. Little confused because it is next week - I thought all schools would be on easter break next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They vary. My school is on the cusp of 3 authorities and they are all different. Some have another week to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I'm starting my placement next week! Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending