The Student Room Group

New Text Editor Cometh! (improving the box used for posting and thread creation)

Hi everyone,

You know this thing:

We call it the Text Editor and we are planning to replace this archaic 10+ yr old thing, to a new version in the coming month or so (exact date to be confirmed).

The key things to know are:

Built from scratch, so uses modern code largely created by Dez, so it's much faster to load. We expect this speed increase will improve your overall experience of TSR by pages loading faster.

Slightly new design, though really it looks the same, just with a new light blue box and buttons instead of the 1990's grey.

New features (which all use a predictive text drop down menu as you type for speed, like usernames in PMs now):

Tagging members: you can hit a new button to tag members to a post, giving them a notification. Their names will be shown next to the post, but not within it.

@ mentioning members: like every other social media site these days, we're going to introduce @Captain Jack style tagging within a post. Which gives people a notification, meaning you don't have to type out the whole [ quote ] bb code any more. Although quotes of posts will work as normal.

f: forum linking - you will be able to directly link to a forum by typing f: followed by the forum name within posts. This will bring up a menu of the forums to choose from, you select it, then it automatically creates a link. Which makes it easier to point people to other forums.

Mobile improvements: some of the big improvements will be for TSR on the move on your mobile. Now you will be able to upload images from your phone directly. So if you see a squirrel flying round on the back of a seagull, you can now share it on TSR (if you see that, please DO share it!) On top of that, the experience is just light years better. Some you might not notice but if you use TSR on mobile a lot, you probably will.

There are a few more snazzy little things but that's the main gist of it. Faster, new features but ultimately, not too different.

And the good news is, we want to resurrect the TSR Testing Team, so our regular members get to try it out first. We'll be making it available to the Testing Team at some point in the next two weeks. All you have to do is join the Testing Team and we'll quote you into the Testing Team forum to let you know when it is live and ready for your feedback.

To join the Testing Team, just go to your User menu in the green bar at the top, go to User Groups, then find Testing Team. Click the radio button to join and finally hit the orange Join button at the bottom.

I've played around with it and I cannot wait for this to go live, it is so much better.

I'm actually on holiday now until next Monday so probably won't reply again until then, but please feel free to ask questions or post things below and I will reply on my return.

Thanks

:pirate3:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who struggles using quote tags (especially when there's an in-line automated quoting system) probably shouldn't be using a forum in the first place... Anyway, so long as it preserves all the existing functionality, who cares.

That said, the existing text box is ubiquitous across the internet and for good reason: it's reliable, it's neutral in appearance without any silly branding or theme to confuse users, it's unobtrusive, it's very clear to read and understand and it's easy and intuitive to use. I dread to think what 'improvements' might have beeb implemented because they are 'really cool', but actually could be less ergonomic. Si fractum non sit noli id reficere, et omne...

My mind springs back to that glorious period of the 'upgraded' PM mailbox, where one had just a long list of PMs down a centre column of the screen and no mail/folder controls. Totally useless, but hey, it fit with the new site theme and that's what counts, right?
(edited 9 years ago)
I welcome the new changes if they work properly.
Reply 3
Interesting changes. Really like the @ feature that's coming, and the linking to forum one (will see how they work of course)
"like every other social media site these days"

TSR ain't a social media site though :hide:
Modern social media updates definitely aren't for people who speak in ****ing LATIN, Jesus hell on a motorbike.
Original post by Maid Marian
"like every other social media site these days"

TSR ain't a social media site though :hide:

:K: Actually it is technically a social media site.
Original post by keromedic
I welcome the new changes if they work properly.
We're testing it right now and it's brilliant - has some little buggies but we're working on them :h:

I much prefer it - I'm not just saying that. It feels far smoother and a lot quicker. Tagging/ mentioning people is so easy, far more streamline than 'quoting'!
:yy: long overdue.

RIP ckeditor
Original post by Jangrafess
Modern social media updates definitely aren't for people who speak in ****ing LATIN, Jesus hell on a motorbike.

I'm laffin

Original post by Roving Fish
:K: Actually it is technically a social media site.

Not really :K:
Any chance we could see a sneaky, cheeky teaser preview pretty please? :flutter:

Sounds like a good step forward and as sm says, long overdue! For once not me personally, but there are others on here with a low profile who may not want to be tagged in the form of an @ through either just not wanting to, or a user is relentlessly tagging someone who explicitly has asked not to be be - is it a feature you're planning in the future to be able to be turned on/off? That sort of thing is possible with quotes ofc, but if it's as easy as you say ( :wink: ), some people may do it more often? :dontknow: On a similar note, I assume the ignore feature spreads across to these new functions too? Without seeing it, that's the only thing I can add to it, which must be a good thing lol.
Reply 11
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Any chance we could see a sneaky, cheeky teaser preview pretty please? :flutter:

Don't you want it to be a surprise? :smile:

Original post by Champagne Supernova
On a similar note, I assume the ignore feature spreads across to these new functions too?

Yes, the new mentions and tags will behave in exactly the same way as quotes do regarding the ignore feature. Notifications won't be sent to you and the post content won't be shown. Of course if someone's using the new features to abuse members, then that's an issue for the community team to deal with. There will however be a limit to the number of users that can be tagged per post, and probationary users won't be able to use the feature either.
so you'll now be able to say 'the @ feature is free hunty' when someone is talking about you :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
so you'll now be able to say 'the @ feature is free hunty' when someone is talking about you :redface:

Yaaaaasssssss! Use of hunty!

Original post by Maid Marian
Not really :K:

"social media
noun
websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

Regardless of it being a social network, or not in your opinion, changes to this editor will be most welcome. It's always been horrible to use, especially in WYSIWYG mode!
Original post by Dez

:colonhash:

Yes, the new mentions and tags will behave in exactly the same way as quotes do regarding the ignore feature. Notifications won't be sent to you and the post content won't be shown. Of course if someone's using the new features to abuse members, then that's an issue for the community team to deal with. There will however be a limit to the number of users that can be tagged per post, and probationary users won't be able to use the feature either.

Nice one, sounds good. Cheers Dez :yy:
If it's less of an abortion than the current whizzywig editor, I'm sure it'll be deemed a technological triumph by a silent 95% of the population and relentlessly whinged about by the other 5% that will complain that it's "not as good as it used to be", and make demands that the old editor be reinstated as some sort of optional plugin. At least for a week, until they forget what it was that they were whinging about in the first place and start waving walking sticks at clouds.
Original post by Dez

Umm... No? :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Mad Vlad
If it's less of an abortion than the current whizzywig editor, I'm sure it'll be deemed a technological triumph by a silent 95% of the population and relentlessly whinged about by the other 5% that will complain that it's "not as good as it used to be", and make demands that the old editor be reinstated as some sort of optional plugin. At least for a week, until they forget what it was that they were whinging about in the first place and start waving walking sticks at clouds.

As it happens it will be optional, as the new editor is not compatible with IE10 and below, so we're keeping CKEditor for legacy browsers and users can opt in to it if they really want.

Umm... No? :tongue:

Well tough luck. :wink: This project has been over a year in the making, I'm sure we can all hang on another week or two.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any danger of being able to embed Instagram posts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending