The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
I can't think where I read it before but Christianity isn't about feeling Christ. We put far too much emphasis on feeling God or not feeling God. This makes us fair weather...when we feel God things are good, but when we don't, we're lost. This may be helpful: https://carm.org/prayer-feeling-god God never abandons us, but He also never says that being a Christian will be easy or make everything better, in fact the opposite, we're told we'll suffer because of it.

I've suffered a bit in life even without God present.

And it's like a constant withdrawal of God's presence, which honestly is not helpful.
Original post by CescaD96
I still stand by my response to GEG, who made a valid point. I've heard of Christ most certainly, but I don't think my depression and SAD can be counted as a disability and a mental incapacity to believe. Therefore, according to my technical Church, I am a walking condemned woman.

Sorry only just seen your response to GEG. What I will say is that faith or being a Christian is not really about feeling God. It's about believing in spite of not feeling. Which isn't easy. I haven't felt God in about 4 years. But I still believe in Him.

Rest assured you would not be punished in Catholicism merely for an inability to feel God. Depression does do that to some people, you and me included.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ah good stuff! :biggrin: But like I said don't be in a rush to pick. Take as much time as you need and don't let anyone or anything pressurise you. You are very welcome here :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Thanks for your advice :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry only just seen your response to GEG. What I will say is that faith or being a Christian is not really about feeling God. It's about believing in spite of not feeling. Which isn't easy. I haven't felt God in about 4 years. But I still believe in Him.

Rest assured you would not be punished in Catholicism merely for an inability to feel God. Depression does do that to some people, you and me included.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that's it. I don't think I have ever felt Him. I should have at least once. If only once. Then I'd be content.

Yeah, my Religion teacher thinks my faith struggles relate to my depression, due to my obsession with the pointlessness of life.
But that's it. I don't think I have ever felt Him. I should have at least once. If only once. Then I'd be content.

Yeah, my Religion teacher thinks my faith struggles relate to my depression, due to my obsession with the pointlessness of life.

Some people never feel God but can still believe and do still believe. It may seem impossible but it isn't.

I'm not trying to say you are talking out of your backside btw. Am just saying that belief without feeling God is a common trope in Catholicism, especially with the saints. You are not being condemned because you are not feeling God. If you end up being condemned, it would be due to a conscious, resolute and fully-lucid decision to turn your back from God and to not believe in Him.

I may never feel God again and that is something I struggle with but will eventually have to accept.

The mentally ill are especially precious to God, so I am constantly told. So even if you and I never feel Him, we can be assured of His love xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people never feel God but can still believe and do still believe. It may seem impossible but it isn't.

I'm not trying to say you are talking out of your backside btw. Am just saying that belief without feeling God is a common trope in Catholicism, especially with the saints. You are not being condemned because you are not feeling God. If you end up being condemned, it would be due to a conscious, resolute and fully-lucid decision to turn your back from God and to not believe in Him.

I may never feel God again and that is something I struggle with but will eventually have to accept.

The mentally ill are especially precious to God, so I am constantly told. So even if you and I never feel Him, we can be assured of His love xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe I should start accepting that possibility of never feeling Him. I don't mind about not feeling the saints. It's feeling God which bother me.
I've suffered a bit in life even without God present.

And it's like a constant withdrawal of God's presence, which honestly is not helpful.

Depression sucks, big hugs on that front, I know how crappy it can be.

Shall be praying that either you'll feel God or you'll be able to continue believing without feeling.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Depression sucks, big hugs on that front, I know how crappy it can be.

Shall be praying that either you'll feel God or you'll be able to continue believing without feeling.

That's very sweet of you, thank you. :jumphug:
Maybe I should start accepting that possibility of never feeling Him. I don't mind about not feeling the saints. It's feeling God which bother me.

I dunno how you and I move (separately) towards acceptance of a seeming absence of God, but I think we should both try and accept it. Feeling God is great and all but that's not what it's about at the end of the day. The saints tell us that the rewards are greater for those who never/don't feel but can somehow still hold on to a slither of belief.

I know what you mean about not being bothered about not feeling like the saints. My life's ambition when I was young was to become a saint and get the stigmata. Then I started reading accounts of saints with stigmata and I was like :eek: :ahhhhh: :no:

:tongue:

:lovehug:
I dunno how you and I move (separately) towards acceptance of a seeming absence of God, but I think we should both try and accept it. Feeling God is great and all but that's not what it's about at the end of the day. The saints tell us that the rewards are greater for those who never/don't feel but can somehow still hold on to a slither of belief.

I know what you mean about not being bothered about not feeling like the saints. My life's ambition when I was young was to become a saint and get the stigmata. Then I started reading accounts of saints with stigmata and I was like :eek: :ahhhhh: :no:

:tongue:

:lovehug:

Oh dearie, the stigmata! That freaked me out as a wain (kid).

Do you think us accepting it would make our faith stronger?
Oh dearie, the stigmata! That freaked me out as a wain (kid).

Do you think us accepting it would make our faith stronger?

I think I didn't properly understand the implications of it when I was a child :colondollar: When I read a few accounts, I was just like "OK, not cut out for this, think I'll live somehow :tongue: "

I've honestly no idea. I think it would certainly help us in the long run if we could accept it :colondollar:
I think I didn't properly understand the implications of it when I was a child :colondollar: When I read a few accounts, I was just like "OK, not cut out for this, think I'll live somehow :tongue: "

I've honestly no idea. I think it would certainly help us in the long run if we could accept it :colondollar:

Living is meant to be good. :smile:

But it is so hard!:bawling:
Living is meant to be good. :smile:

But it is so hard!:bawling:

I know hun, I know :frown: I haven't anywhere near accepted it yet either. Not sure how to. Might have to ask Fr S (my confessor/spiritual director). He'll have a good answer, I'm sure. If he ever texts me back :lol:

I wish you lived in London so we could meet and hang out. Then I could introduce you to Fr S! You'd love him. He's hilarious :biggrin:
I know hun, I know :frown: I haven't anywhere near accepted it yet either. Not sure how to. Might have to ask Fr S (my confessor/spiritual director). He'll have a good answer, I'm sure. If he ever texts me back :lol:

I wish you lived in London so we could meet and hang out. Then I could introduce you to Fr S! You'd love him. He's hilarious :biggrin:

Priest banter!:dancing2: I have had some good conversations with priests!
Priest banter!:dancing2: I have had some good conversations with priests!

You'd have loads of banter with Fr S :yep: He's epic! :biggrin:
Hey guys,
I just wanted to share this page from my faith journal. It was inspired by the song "He Knows My Name" by Francesca Battistelli.
Have a good night :biggrin:
1427237573999.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
So my friend L phoned today, which I was surprised by. I honestly thought she would never phone and that I might never see her again. She's clearly in denial about her (mental) health but I tried to be as kind and compassionate as possible and not force the issue. Thanks for praying peeps :redface:

Original post by Joannywhite
Hey guys,
I just wanted to share this page from my faith journal. It was inspired by the song "He Knows My Name" by Francesca Battistelli.
Have a good night :biggrin:
1427237573999.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a beautiful sentiment! :h: Do you mind me asking what kinda things you do for your faith journal? I've often thought I should try and keep one but am a bit of a noob when it comes to such things :colondollar:
So my friend L phoned today, which I was surprised by. I honestly thought she would never phone and that I might never see her again. She's clearly in denial about her (mental) health but I tried to be as kind and compassionate as possible and not force the issue. Thanks for praying peeps :redface:

What a beautiful sentiment! :h: Do you mind me asking what kinda things you do for your faith journal? I've often thought I should try and keep one but am a bit of a noob when it comes to such things :colondollar:

Hey TLG :smile:
Instead of boring you with long words I thought I might just show you pictures. Here's a link to my blog all about my Faith Journal :smile:
http://imachoccakeaholic.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Faith%20Journal

I also do Scripture Art Journalling :smile:
http://imachoccakeaholic.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Scripture%20Journal

I hope it's ok to post the links here :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys, hope all is well. I was just wondering if anyone could pray for me. I had a conversation with a friend who is a Muslim. She shocked me by saying a few stuff about Christianity. I don't think she realize she offended me since she didn't show much remorse. Please pray for her to realize how I felt, also could you pray for me, in these times

Many Blessings
:smile:
Original post by Hopefulcici
Hi guys, hope all is well. I was just wondering if anyone could pray for me. I had a conversation with a friend who is a Muslim. She shocked me by saying a few stuff about Christianity. I don't think she realize she offended me since she didn't show much remorse. Please pray for her to realize how I felt, also could you pray for me, in these times

Many Blessings
:smile:

I would recommend trying to avoid the topic of religion with your friend, if possible, since religions can clash?

God bless you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending