The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ki Yung Na
Guess I'll do the same. Thanks :smile:

Fair enough; sounds reasonable. Now that you mention on it, if fields/electromagnetism hardest topic (considering it's the most in depth I think you're right); it really isn't too bad - that's a bit reassuring. That said I need to practice the lengthier questions to avoid waffle that can trip me up.

If you don't mind. How has your revision been arranged, as in, after you finished the topics in class did you just start doing past paper after past paper?

Thanks for the reply btw. :smile:

I'm dreading medical physics, that seems the wordiest physics topic possible and I can't stand having to write long answers in physics (you wouldn't think I did AS English lit last year!).

I've avoided the newer past papers so I can save them for closer to exam time. This website http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-physics-papers/ has been my main source of old spec questions (my teacher gives us most of them to do but not all, plus there's applicable old spec edexcel/aqa questions too). I'm trying to make sure I'm not 'wasting' past papers by doing them before I've done proper revision so I've only done Jan & June 2010 so far (and June 2014 as a mock in class).
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Doing it soon.

Did you find it difficult or very easy?

Seems to be the general feeling surrounding g486

To be honest I dont quite remember, we did it at start of November which was very early. She said she wanted to get the practicals out of the way.

I found it easier than AS, well to be honest in AS Physics I never understood anything, like I was one of the dumbest kid in the class xD?
Original post by Makashima
My teacher suppose to tell us the result this week, hopefully tomorrow or the latest friday...How about you, what did you get?

i got 8/10, 17/20, 7/10 - so im on 32/40.

I can never do well on evaluative:s-smilie:
Original post by MrChemKid
i got 8/10, 17/20, 7/10 - so im on 32/40.

I can never do well on evaluative:s-smilie:

Wow that is very good! Nearly full mark on every questions
Seems like my teacher didnt tell us today, so it will be next week :L
Shall inform you soon then when I get it back...
Can anyone explain how to go about finding the difference in your weight at the equator of the Earth and at the North Pole?
Radius of Earth = 6.4x10^6 m
One day = 8.64x10^4 s
Person = 70kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 145
Does anybody have the June 2014 Newtonian world paper?
Reply 146
Original post by Hilton184
Can anyone explain how to go about finding the difference in your weight at the equator of the Earth and at the North Pole?
Radius of Earth = 6.4x10^6 m
One day = 8.64x10^4 s
Person = 70kg

Is it a trick question where the difference is 0 N? I know there would be a difference in reality, but I can't think of any Newtonian World knowledge which could answer it.
Original post by Elcor
Is it a trick question where the difference is 0 N? I know there would be a difference in reality, but I can't think of any Newtonian World knowledge which could answer it.

Yeah it is, I remember that question, if I remember correctly it also says "state" the difference and it's 1 mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Original post by rachelc142
Yeah it is, I remember that question, if I remember correctly it also says "state" the difference and it's 1 mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

That probably would have been obvious from the question then
Original post by Elcor

No it's a question in the OCR textbook on the page about gravitational fields.

My teacher explained it to me.

At the North Pole your weight is equal to mg, because you are stood on the axis of rotation so there is no centripetal force.

At the equator, you are not stood on the axis of rotation. Hence you experience circular motion. mg-N=mv^2/r
Solve for N
This is your weight at the equator.

Note the difference between weight and apparent weight. It's unclear really, but by asking for weight it actually wants the apparent weight, because your 'normal' weight is equal to mg - I assume this is why the term weightlessness exists; when experiencing weightlessness, you're weight is of course equal to mg. It is your apparent weight that is 0, as a result of no reaction force being exerted on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
Original post by Hilton184
No it's a question in the OCR textbook on the page about gravitational fields.

My teacher explained it to me.

At the North Pole your weight is equal to mg, because you are stood on the axis of rotation so there is no centripetal force.

At the equator, you are not stood on the axis of rotation. Hence you experience circular motion. mg-N=mv^2/r
Solve for N
This is your weight at the equator.

Note the difference between weight and apparent weight. It's unclear really, but by asking for weight it actually wants the apparent weight, because your 'normal' weight is equal to mg - I assume this is why the term weightlessness exists; when experiencing weightlessness, you're weight is of course equal to mg. It is your apparent weight that is 0, as a result of no reaction force being exerted on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes that makes sense, it's mechanical forces on our bodies that produces apparent g-forces we experience. In an exam they would make it clear that you need to find the contact force.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiwa
Does anybody have the June 2014 Newtonian world paper?

Don't cheat dude.
Reply 152
Don't cheat dude.

Cheat as how? I already did it for my mock in January. I just want to use it for revision.
Reply 153
Don't cheat dude.

Believe me, I've got better things to do with my time then cheat for a mock exam. If I did that, I'm only cheating myself because I can't do that in the real exam.
Reply 154
Does anyone have a good set of flashcards/standard answers for this or G485 anywhere?
Original post by Tiwa
Cheat as how? I already did it for my mock in January. I just want to use it for revision.

Original post by Tiwa
Believe me, I've got better things to do with my time then cheat for a mock exam. If I did that, I'm only cheating myself because I can't do that in the real exam.

Preach it brah, I believe you, there are youtube videos of people answering the questions but I haven't found a blank transcript of it. I can send you the YouTube links if you want them.
Reply 156
Preach it brah, I believe you, there are youtube videos of people answering the questions but I haven't found a blank transcript of it. I can send you the YouTube links if you want them.

I would really appreciate that! Thank you!
Anyone know how to get the accuracy mark in the evaluative pApers?
I found out my practical mark. I've got 33/40 and have one more chance at a qualitative to get a maximum of three more marks.
Based on last years UMS conversions, I now need roughly 118/160 or 95% UMS in the exams. I'm so glad the exam grade boundaries are so low.
Original post by morgan8002
I found out my practical mark. I've got 33/40 and have one more chance at a qualitative to get a maximum of three more marks.
Based on last years UMS conversions, I now need roughly 118/160 or 95% UMS in the exams. I'm so glad the exam grade boundaries are so low.

I'm on the same :lol:

I got 20/20, 5/10 and 8/10 (this one though was unfair imo but ah well)

Gonna redo those 2

Latest

Trending

Trending