The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by CD223
It's pretty cool to create new things from scratch - one of the main reasons that I wanna do the subject at uni :smile:
I can imagine a physics degree is harder though haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they probably both have their challenges! Just got to get through these exams first :biggrin:
Reply 621
Original post by Lau14
I think they probably both have their challenges! Just got to get through these exams first :biggrin:

Am I the only one finding it hard to picture life after these exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 622
Original post by CD223
Am I the only one finding it hard to picture life after these exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'll feel a bit weird? Uni is the first totally different thing, school up until now has been more of the same with increasingly important exams!
Reply 623
Original post by Lau14
It'll feel a bit weird? Uni is the first totally different thing, school up until now has been more of the same with increasingly important exams!

I get you. It's a massive life step. Moving away, living independently (probably the most scary part) and enjoying the fruits of being 18+!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 624
I've finally done some spring cleaning on my A level exam threads and today have added resources to the first post of this thread!

If anyone wants their resources adding, either post it and quote me on here, or send me a PM :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 625
Original post by CD223
I get you. It's a massive life step. Moving away, living independently (probably the most scary part) and enjoying the fruits of being 18+!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been 18 since the beginning of September tbh I don't really do anything with it :tongue: I'm really looking forwards to moving away though, I like living on my own!
Reply 626
Original post by Lau14
I've been 18 since the beginning of September tbh I don't really do anything with it :tongue: I'm really looking forwards to moving away though, I like living on my own!

Ah I've been 18 since November. I've probably abused the privilege too hard this year haha!
I've added your brilliant notes to the first post if you don't mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 627
Original post by CD223
Ah I've been 18 since November. I've probably abused the privilege too hard this year haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I don't drink so there goes the main reason for needing to be 18 (although I did get IDed for a 12 the other day in HMV :| )!
Reply 628
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Managed hit submit halfway through :P
I saw the new first posts yeah they're good (thank you! :smile: )
Reply 629
Original post by Lau14
Yeah I don't drink so there goes the main reason for needing to be 18 (although I did get IDed for a 12 the other day in HMV :| )!

Original post by Lau14
Managed hit submit halfway through :P
I saw the new first posts yeah they're good (thank you! :smile: )

Hahha! I'm sure you look a lot older than you make out :wink:
No worries! Need to crack on with starting revision to be honest. This coursework is annoyingly close to completion though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 630
Original post by CD223
Hahha! I'm sure you look a lot older than you make out :wink:
No worries! Need to crack on with starting revision to be honest. This coursework is annoyingly close to completion though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... not really. There is literally no noticeable difference in photos from the past 4-5 years at least!
I really need to get a huge pile of FP2 done over Easter. All my other Maths units are done or nearly done, Physics is done, Chemistry has a fair bit left to go but that'll be fine...
We actually did EMPA prep today (finally!). All about precision and stuff that we did already at AS though, nothing new yet. We're doing a mock in our table groups (so four of us, assuming everyone actually turns up) on Wedesday.
Reply 631
Original post by Lau14
Yeah... not really. There is literally no noticeable difference in photos from the past 4-5 years at least!
I really need to get a huge pile of FP2 done over Easter. All my other Maths units are done or nearly done, Physics is done, Chemistry has a fair bit left to go but that'll be fine...
We actually did EMPA prep today (finally!). All about precision and stuff that we did already at AS though, nothing new yet. We're doing a mock in our table groups (so four of us, assuming everyone actually turns up) on Wedesday.

Aww, well they say others notice your appearance changing more than you do so I'm sure that can't be true :wink:

Maths is done but I need to basically do a tonne of past papers over Easter.

History requires a load of revision to be done as I've not so much as picked up my revision guide for that yet. At least the coursework is done though.

Computing is dragging. I have two sections of coursework due before we break up in just over a weeks' time. Then a final project demonstration after Easter.

Physics is like maths - need to start on those papers!

How are your mocks gonna be done? Ours were all individual - when you say as a table do you mean you all collaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 632
Original post by CD223
Aww, well they say others notice your appearance changing more than you do so I'm sure that can't be true :wink:

Maths is done but I need to basically do a tonne of past papers over Easter.

History requires a load of revision to be done as I've not so much as picked up my revision guide for that yet. At least the coursework is done though.

Computing is dragging. I have two sections of coursework due before we break up in just over a weeks' time. Then a final project demonstration after Easter.

Physics is like maths - need to start on those papers!

How are your mocks gonna be done? Ours were all individual - when you say as a table do you mean you all collaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess there's a lot of stuff to remember for history?

Well we've done one hour of prep stuff so I think we're just doing this one together to start, I expect we'll have mocks that we do individually later on. Collaborating for this one will at least make it more fun that doing experiments in silence (as long as Ed turns up!).
Reply 633
Original post by Lau14
I guess there's a lot of stuff to remember for history?

Well we've done one hour of prep stuff so I think we're just doing this one together to start, I expect we'll have mocks that we do individually later on. Collaborating for this one will at least make it more fun that doing experiments in silence (as long as Ed turns up!).

Yeah for history there's tonnes which is annoying because only like 5% of the syllabus comes up in the real thing each year haha. Luckily I can get a C in it and get an A overall though so I've put more emphasis on my computing of late...

That sounds great! Wish we had collaborative mocks haha. Both of ours were identical to the real thing in terms of exam conditions. Similar topics too which was hepful, but Section B is where anything can come up :confused: :frown:
Reply 634
Original post by CD223
Yeah for history there's tonnes which is annoying because only like 5% of the syllabus comes up in the real thing each year haha. Luckily I can get a C in it and get an A overall though so I've put more emphasis on my computing of late...

That sounds great! Wish we had collaborative mocks haha. Both of ours were identical to the real thing in terms of exam conditions. Similar topics too which was hepful, but Section B is where anything can come up :confused: :frown:

That must feel pretty good then going into the exam! Unfortunately I need 90%+ in almost everything this year.

It'll probably be useful because it's been months since we've even done a practical, nevermind something EMPA-ish. (also I am up for anything that means we can probably get away with not doing much, especially in a double lesson!)
Reply 635
Original post by Lau14
That must feel pretty good then going into the exam! Unfortunately I need 90%+ in almost everything this year.

It'll probably be useful because it's been months since we've even done a practical, nevermind something EMPA-ish. (also I am up for anything that means we can probably get away with not doing much, especially in a double lesson!)

Yeah it's a nice safety net but I can't get complacent which is unfortunately what it feels I'm doing of late. I need 90+% in everything for an A* but there are some subjects I can get slightly lower in (~70%) and get an A which is nice.

This might sound ridiculous but can we keep each other motivated over Easter? I really need to knuckle down this time haha.

Well I wish you the best of luck for it! Let us know how it goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 636
Original post by CD223
Yeah it's a nice safety net but I can't get complacent which is unfortunately what it feels I'm doing of late. I need 90+% in everything for an A* but there are some subjects I can get slightly lower in (~70%) and get an A which is nice.

This might sound ridiculous but can we keep each other motivated over Easter? I really need to knuckle down this time haha.

Well I wish you the best of luck for it! Let us know how it goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, I can probably get an A pretty easily in some places.

Probably a good idea! I'll be online most of the time I'm home anyway.
Other than work some mornings (I'll find out my shifts on Sunday) and one or two days out (hoping to visit a friend who lives ~1.5 hours away by train) I've got no plans. I'd like to do a few hours college work every day at least. Prioritising FP2 (as by the end of this week most of my notes will be done, and they're easier to do during term time than FP2 is anyway), but still getting past papers done because they don't take up huge amounts of time (although because I work on a fortnightly to do list, I can get a lot of those done this week and the week after).

Thanks! I mean it depends how seriously we manage to take it (considering how fidgety and smart ass our class were being today... not a chance. "It's a particular type of error, does anyone remember...?" "an errorplane!".
"Nathan, can you read the meter in the picture?" "Yes." ... ... ... "What does it say?")
Reply 637
Original post by Lau14
True, I can probably get an A pretty easily in some places.

Probably a good idea! I'll be online most of the time I'm home anyway.
Other than work some mornings (I'll find out my shifts on Sunday) and one or two days out (hoping to visit a friend who lives ~1.5 hours away by train) I've got no plans. I'd like to do a few hours college work every day at least. Prioritising FP2 (as by the end of this week most of my notes will be done, and they're easier to do during term time than FP2 is anyway), but still getting past papers done because they don't take up huge amounts of time (although because I work on a fortnightly to do list, I can get a lot of those done this week and the week after).

Thanks! I mean it depends how seriously we manage to take it (considering how fidgety and smart ass our class were being today... not a chance. "It's a particular type of error, does anyone remember...?" "an errorplane!".
"Nathan, can you read the meter in the picture?" "Yes." ... ... ... "What does it say?")

Yeah I'm hoping for 3 As so it's good at least one subject looks a solid chance.

That's cool! I'll be working a bit of overtime at work to get some breaks in between revision and earn some money too haha. Your FP2 sounds like my maths and physics situation!

Hahaha! Sounds like you have some characters in your class. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 638
Original post by CD223
Yeah I'm hoping for 3 As so it's good at least one subject looks a solid chance.

That's cool! I'll be working a bit of overtime at work to get some breaks in between revision and earn some money too haha. Your FP2 sounds like my maths and physics situation!

Hahaha! Sounds like you have some characters in your class. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully you'll get them all!

Yeah deciding to self study FP2 probably wasn't the best idea seeing as I'm not particularly motivated until it gets quite close to the exams...

And for some reason our physics class has a ridiculously high proportion of people targeted A*/A which makes everyone pretty relaxed about things.
Reply 639
Original post by Lau14
Hopefully you'll get them all!

Yeah deciding to self study FP2 probably wasn't the best idea seeing as I'm not particularly motivated until it gets quite close to the exams...

And for some reason our physics class has a ridiculously high proportion of people targeted A*/A which makes everyone pretty relaxed about things.

Woah I couldn't self study anything as I lack discipline haha.... I won't last at uni...

Oh that's cool! How did your mock go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending