The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Brunel or Nottingham Trent?

I want to study Journalism and have received offers from Brunel University and Nottingham Trent, I'm extremely torn between the two and have no idea which to put as my firm.

They both have their pros and cons but I really, desperately need some help in making my decision, where should I go?

What's better for my overall outcome?
What factors are the most important to you when you're looking at University? Location? Cost of accommodation? League tables? Course modules? Methods of assessment? Nightlife?
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Original post by soanonymous
What factors are the most important to you when you're looking at University? Location? Cost of accommodation? League tables? Course modules? Methods of assessment? Nightlife?

this is the thing, the overall outcome of my studying and the course is the most important but also the social life, accommodation and nightlife all factor in highly for me also
Original post by harryhitchcock
this is the thing, the overall outcome of my studying and the course is the most important but also the social life, accommodation and nightlife all factor in highly for me also

I can tell you from experience that the atmosphere and social life etc of a University can be a lot more important than it's rating in a league table. Seriously, if you don't like where you are, you can't expect to do well and enjoy your degree. University is about the experience and social life just as much as it is about the education.

So if you'd like, you can list which University you think is better out of the things I previously mentioned. Do you prefer the course at Brunel or at Nottingham Trent? Have you visited both Universities? Did you like them both? Etc etc, you get where I'm going with this!

I didn't realise it, but it's such an important decision to make.
Original post by soanonymous
I can tell you from experience that the atmosphere and social life etc of a University can be a lot more important than it's rating in a league table. Seriously, if you don't like where you are, you can't expect to do well and enjoy your degree. University is about the experience and social life just as much as it is about the education.

So if you'd like, you can list which University you think is better out of the things I previously mentioned. Do you prefer the course at Brunel or at Nottingham Trent? Have you visited both Universities? Did you like them both? Etc etc, you get where I'm going with this!

I didn't realise it, but it's such an important decision to make.

The course's are quite similar but ultimately I prefer Trent's course, however the facilities for the course I would say I prefer Brunel as I prefer its Newsroom. In terms of overall feel for the University Im neither here nor there, they're both great campus'. I do prefer the accommodation at Trent and I prefer the city-centre location of trent. However I love the fact that Brunel is London, London would be perfect for studying Journalism and it's the capitol!

Basically, they both have pros and cons for me but I just can't make a decision between the two!
Original post by harryhitchcock
The course's are quite similar but ultimately I prefer Trent's course, however the facilities for the course I would say I prefer Brunel as I prefer its Newsroom. In terms of overall feel for the University Im neither here nor there, they're both great campus'. I do prefer the accommodation at Trent and I prefer the city-centre location of trent. However I love the fact that Brunel is London, London would be perfect for studying Journalism and it's the capitol!

Basically, they both have pros and cons for me but I just can't make a decision between the two!

If you read that back, you mentioned you liked things at Trent a lot more than Brunel. But I do think you need to decide what takes priority, the accommodation, facilities, course, location. Remember, you're going to spend 3/4 years of your life there, so ultimately I'd say whichever you feel you'd fit in with the best. I went to a University in a small town (I come from London) and did not fit in with the majority of the people there, hence why I'm transferring to Brunel as I feel it's more my scene.

I feel your pain though.
hmm yeah, I'm still so lost. From a complete on the fence position what Uni would you say is the best for studying journalism, Trent or Brunel

Quick Reply

Latest