The Student Room Group

Is "cute" really a compliment?

If someone of the opposite were to give me a compliment to do with my appearance, it would be 'cute' and it's been bugging me because I feel as though cute means I'm not desirable to anyone -_- is this true? Am I just not pretty enough?

Scroll to see replies

A compliment's a compliment :dontknow:
I'm sure "cute" and "pretty" go hand in hand. What sort of personality would you say you are?
Original post by shawn_o1
I'm sure "cute" and "pretty" go hand in hand. What sort of personality would you say you are?

Bubbly, funny and a bit weird I guess
Guys generally mean it in a good way. Girls usually mean it in a good way but guys take it as an insult. Don't call a guy cute!
Of course it is!
Better than being called ugly lol
Original post by little_wizard123
Guys generally mean it in a good way. Girls usually mean it in a good way but guys take it as an insult. Don't call a guy cute!

But then why is it ok to call a girl cute then? If guys feel it removes from their masculinity girls must feel like their not attractive enough to be called 'hot' or 'pretty' etc which is how I feel basically
One doesn't take away from the other, I've been called hot, pretty, cute, sexy etc (and not just by one guy haha). If you're cute, it doesn't mean you aren't hot.. Cute is just a more relaxed kind of compliment I guess? I mean I don't get guys dropping in that I'm hot that often, but cute I get a lot. I feel like calling someone hot is heavier - cute is more relaxed, people feel more free to say it.

I think it sometimes depends on the guy's preference of words rather than what they really mean. Also the context and type of conversation makes a difference.
Original post by little_wizard123

If a guy gets offended over being called cute then I feel sorry for him :facepalm:
Original post by ForgetMe
If a guy gets offended over being called cute then I feel sorry for him :facepalm:

Whenever a girl calls me cute i do get sort of offended, not because i feel as though it takes away from my masculinity or some stupid reason like that, but just because i feel as though if you really found a guy attractive, cute isn't the word you'd use. Usually when i've been called cute it's been in a social setting where people have asked each other do they find (name) attractive, so i guess i just associate it with not wanting to call someone ugly/not wanting to say im not attracted to them.
Reply 11
would you prefer if people said you were him very cute?

"Hi, can I introduce you to Ms Whatever, as you can see, she is not very cute".
I dunno I mean it can be an Americanisation, which actually means attractive. It's confusing nowadays because it can mean cuddly wuddly or it can mean hot, depending on how ''American'' the person who says it is, I guess.
Original post by frankieboy
I dunno I mean it can be an Americanisation, which actually means attractive. It's confusing nowadays because it can mean cuddly wuddly or it can mean hot, depending on how ''American'' the person who says it is, I guess.

either way I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though. I like being called cute, I've never felt it was an insult :dontknow:
Original post by Precious Illusions
either way I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though. I like being called cute, I've never felt it was an insult :dontknow:

I don't mind being called cute but if that's all you're ever called it makes you feel a little bit like people think you're the same level of attractiveness as a 5yr old...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForgetMe

Well when you're used to being called a sex God on a daily basis then it does feel like a massive comedown.

Original post by Precious Illusions

It's more to do with the impression a guy gets when she calls him cute. It normally starts with an 'awwww' and it basically means in most cases that she isn't interested in him in that way and even as far as saying they're not attractive. Consider how many times a girl might see a cute animal and call it cute vs. how a guy uses cute - that's basically how a guy hears it when she says it. There are so many more positive words a girl could use to describe a guy if she were talking directly to him, if she found him attractive.
Well if I call a guy cute, it tends to mean I do like them/find them attractive. I tend to prefer cute/handsome guys though. So yes it is a compliment. I don't mind being called cute.
If a girl said "Oh he's really cute"....I would only assume that she finds him attractive :dontknow:.
If I call a guy cute then I'm basically yelling you I like everything about you because I rarely use that word.

*telling. Not yelling. I do like yelling too though
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elliebeanie
One doesn't take away from the other, I've been called hot, pretty, cute, sexy etc (and not just by one guy haha). If you're cute, it doesn't mean you aren't hot.. Cute is just a more relaxed kind of compliment I guess? I mean I don't get guys dropping in that I'm hot that often, but cute I get a lot. I feel like calling someone hot is heavier - cute is more relaxed, people feel more free to say it.

I think it sometimes depends on the guy's preference of words rather than what they really mean. Also the context and type of conversation makes a difference.

Alright mate calm down

Quick Reply

Latest