The Student Room Group

Finding the R group in Amine

This is an amine: C6H5-CH(R)-NH2

The relative molecular mass of the amine = 123.79 g mol-1

I need to identify the group R, how do i do this?
What is the equation relating mass moles and mmr?
Reply 2
Original post by zetamcfc
What is the equation relating mass moles and mmr?

It just says identify the R group in the compound above. I did an experiment and have the RMM but how do i now find the R group? This is probably soo simple but am just confused XD.

I did like a add and subtract so basically adding everything together in the compund - the r group and then minusing that from 123.79. I got 123.79-106.15 = 17.640 but then again even from this what is the r group?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by F474L17Y
It just says identify the R group in the compound above. I did an experiment and have the RMM but how do i now find the R group? This is probably soo simple but am just confused XD.

I did like a add and subtract so basically adding everything together in the compund - the r group and then minusing that from 123.79. I got 123.79-106.15 = 17.640 but then again even from this what is the r group?

What experiment did you do? Could this help you to find a group that has a mmr of 17.64?
Did you start with a specified mass of Amine or ?
Reply 5
Original post by zetamcfc
What experiment did you do? Could this help you to find a group that has a mmr of 17.64?

The experiment is the determination of the RMM of a primary amine by a titration method.

I had to prepare a standard solution of sodium carbonate, then determain the accurate concentration of a hcl solution then titrate the sodium carbonate standard solution with HCl solution and finally determine the relative molecular mass of an unkown amine. I had to titrate hcl with amine that i weighed
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mattcandy3
Did you start with a specified mass of Amine or ?

Yes i did, it is two titrations with 2 different RMM values. Then i was told to get the average of both and work out the r group.
Original post by F474L17Y
The experiment is the determination of the RMM of a primary amine by a titration method.

I had to prepare a standard solution of sodium carbonate, then determain the accurate concentration of a hcl solution then titrate the sodium carbonate standard solution with HCl solution and finally determine the relative molecular mass of an unkown amine. I had to titrate hcl with amine that i weighed

If the question is separate to the experiment then, I would probably say the group R is OH as it is the closest in terms of mmr that I can think of.
Reply 8
I would imagine there is experimental error in your result for the Mr - consequently I assume that the R group is methyl
I have told to answer the same question but me myself are really confused of how to answer it:Identify the R group in the compound C6H5-CH(R)-NH2Calculate the mean (average) of your 2 RMM values for the amine. From this and your knowledge of the rest of the amine, identify the groupI have been told to calculate r-RMM AMINE RMM AMINE WITHOUT R = RMMrThis is the bit of help my teacher has given me please help as i am really not getting how to answer.
Did you get answers of this question I am doing same thing

Quick Reply

Latest