The Student Room Group

I'm a British Pakistani, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hassansheikh
Pakistan might be a terrible place but Pakistanis are not.

I've been very unlucky to meet a nice genuine pakistani and I haven't given up on them i will join their society at uni to find a genuine pakistani so I can stop stereotyping them.
Reply 21
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
How often do you read books?

Are you going to be an engineer or doctor?

What shade of brown are you?

How would you feel if your sister or (future) daughter had a boyfriend? Especially if he was a non-Muslim?

not often, not a big reader

Accountant, my choice though, mum wanted me to be a doctor lol.

not sure how to say, average, on the lighter brown side?

My sister had a non-muslim boyfriend once. (Though was a long time ago) However she is married to her boyfriend now who is a Muslim. I don't mind as long as the guy is decent.
Reply 22
Original post by CarpeDiem.
Another one?

Alright, are you able to communicate in Urdu? If yes, then how weird is your accent?

yep :smile:

Yeah, not too weird, I can speak it fluently, I speak it everyday at home.
Original post by Jgco2chem
I've been very unlucky to meet a nice genuine pakistani and I haven't given up on them i will join their society at uni to find a genuine pakistani so I can stop stereotyping them.

Pakistan is full of sincere and good people, don't worry one day you will meet the true Pakistanis.
Reply 24
I've been to Pakistan FATA region once with my uncle lol, loved mountains but damn there was nothing else lol
Reply 25
Original post by nuraf
I've been to Pakistan FATA region once with my uncle lol, loved mountains but damn there was nothing else lol

I'm assuming you're Pashtun then?

I've never been there, Punjab is mostly flat and can get very warm :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by cake_lover
I'm assuming you're Pashtun then?

I've never been there, Punjab is mostly flat and can get very warm :tongue:

no i'm uzbek lol. I have family in Afghanistan but I went with my uncle to pakistan through the border once lol just to visit.
Considering you're from the lahore side, are you arain?
Reply 28
op post some pakistan songs for me to check out lol
Reply 29
Original post by nuraf
no i'm uzbek lol. I have family in Afghanistan but I went with my uncle to pakistan through the border once lol just to visit.

ah right that's pretty cool. It's not very populated I don't think at least not like other parts of the country.

Been to Uzbekistan? How is it there?
Reply 30
ah right that's pretty cool. It's not very populated I don't think at least not like other parts of the country.

Been to Uzbekistan? How is it there?

lol it's getting there lets say, it's my home country so I guess i love it.

how is the 'true' pakistan?
Reply 31
Original post by coolgirlaamy
Considering you're from the lahore side, are you arain?

Yes I am! Is Lahore mostly full of Arain? :s-smilie: I thought we wearn't that large in number :tongue:
Yes I am! Is Lahore mostly full of Arain? :s-smilie: I thought we wearn't that large in number :tongue:

Yeah i think it's just that general area in pakistan where everyone is mostly arain
Yeah i think it's just that general area in pakistan where everyone is mostly arain

I seriously doubt most people there are Arain, it has a population of 10 million and many of them are Jatt and Gujjar etc.
Reply 34
Original post by nuraf
lol it's getting there lets say, it's my home country so I guess i love it.

how is the 'true' pakistan?

Fair enough

It's a nice place, lots of beauty and history. It is also diverse with different types of people, so were all have something unique about our culture. Lahore is perhaps the most cultural city, and mostly peaceful but still has problems now and then :/ Karachi is the financial centre which is the most diverse, as lots of people from India moved there during independence. Overall nice country, but the government is very corrupt and there is a terrorism issue.

In terms of "pakistani" songs, I tend to listen to Punjabi songs mostly sung by Indian Punjabi's lol. Here's my favourite at the moment (a modern style of song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAKxSnb23Zc

Here's more a classical type from Pakistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaH2iuoYWE
Reply 35

Original post by Ravenous
I seriously doubt most people there are Arain, it has a population of 10 million and many of them are Jatt and Gujjar etc.

Yeah I thought it would be mostly Jatt or something. Although that was me guessing. You made a good guess though haha
Reply 36
Fair enough

It's a nice place, lots of beauty and history. It is also diverse with different types of people, so were all have something unique about our culture. Lahore is perhaps the most cultural city, and mostly peaceful but still has problems now and then :/ Karachi is the financial centre which is the most diverse, as lots of people from India moved there during independence. Overall nice country, but the government is very corrupt and there is a terrorism issue.

In terms of "pakistani" songs, I tend to listen to Punjabi songs mostly sung by Indian Punjabi's lol. Here's my favourite at the moment (a modern style of song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAKxSnb23Zc

Here's more a classical type from Pakistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaH2iuoYWE

lol for some reason both afghanistan and pakistan seem similar to me even though the two countries hate other i think
Original post by Ravenous

Tbh I don't really have much idea about the castes in pakistan so I'm kinda just making things up according to the little I do know lol :-P
Reply 38
Original post by nuraf
lol for some reason both afghanistan and pakistan seem similar to me even though the two countries hate other i think

That is similar for the guys in the North (the Pashtuns, as many Pashtuns live in Afghanistan too)

There is perhaps some similarities, but for us we see ourselves as different, and tbh we have more in common culturally and historically with Indians. (Depending on which region from Pakistan you are from I guess).

I believe there is some hatred, but I'm not too knowledgeable on the reasons for it
Reply 39
My question: Do you like Heera Mandi? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest