The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QueenGeek
Did you notice the similarity between Voldemort and Hitler? Both faced some sort of mistreatment or neglect in their childhood. Thus Voldemort grew a resentment towards muggle-borns and Hitler developed distaste towards Jews. Both felt they were superior and special. They grew up to be feared yet admittedly powerful figures. Voldemort means 'flight of death', find that pretty cool too.

Well, History does repeat itself. Harry Potter has a very strong resemblance to Hitler, and other events. That's why i love the series. One of the main examples of that is the control of education for possible indoctrination. Like when Voldemort took over Hogwarts and then the Hitler Youth or Lenin's "Pioneers".

I love the use of Latin within the series! Cornelius means united, which is quite ironic.

Hogwarts seems to really give a university feel, and seems to represent the perfect school, doesn't it?
Did you notice the similarity between Voldemort and Hitler? Both faced some sort of mistreatment or neglect in their childhood. Thus Voldemort grew a resentment towards muggle-borns and Hitler developed distaste towards Jews. Both felt they were superior and special. They grew up to be feared yet admittedly powerful figures. Voldemort means 'flight of death', find that pretty cool too.

-I already do DofE, and I want to do NCS The Challenge but my lazy friends don't want to sadly! Still might to do it! You?

I am about to start my DofE Gold! Can't wait to do it, just that i have to wait until late August for my 16th birthday to start it :/ . I'm doing NCS, but my friends were who lazy as well, I got two people to do it with me (they are acquaintances) but no one else would do it.
Original post by Foodatastic
Has anyone heard of NCS the Challenge, its kinda like DofE, is anyone planning to do it?

I was in planning on doing the NCS challenge but I may be going on holiday in the summer, seems like I good experience, I would go if I could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samispector
English Language - A
English Literature- A*
Maths - A ( I think I can get A* though)
Geography- A*
Additionally science:
Biology- A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A
German - C
P.E - Merit (equal to a B)
Business - B
R.E - B (can defo get an A or beyond)
Core science - already got a B

Plus I'm doing my own language for GCSE this year which is an easy A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in planning on doing the NCS challenge but I may be going on holiday in the summer, seems like I good experience, I would go if I could.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have already applied and got a guaranteed place for NCS. I can't wait, its going to be fun!
I am about to start my DofE Gold! Can't wait to do it, just that i have to wait until late August for my 16th birthday to start it :/ . I'm doing NCS, but my friends were who lazy as well, I got two people to do it with me (they are acquaintances) but no one else would do it.

Oh wow you're really young! And my school only does Bronze at this stage! I'd apply to NCS The Challenge but I don't want to make the effort to network with everyone who I probably won't ever meet again.

Well, History does repeat itself. Harry Potter has a very strong resemblance to Hitler, and other events. That's why i love the series. One of the main examples of that is the control of education for possible indoctrination. Like when Voldemort took over Hogwarts and then the Hitler Youth or Lenin's "Pioneers".

I love the use of Latin within the series! Cornelius means united, which is quite ironic.

Hogwarts seems to really give a university feel, and seems to represent the perfect school, doesn't it?

If only Hogwarts was real, it'd be the perfect school. *sighs longingly* Some scenes in Hogwarts were actually filmed at Oxford University. What's your favourite spell? Mine is 'Avada Kedavra', it represents something that Everyone will face- Death.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have already applied and got a guaranteed place for NCS. I can't wait, its going to be fun!

Have fun! I've heard it's good to put on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow you're really young! And my school only does Bronze at this stage! I'd apply to NCS The Challenge but I don't want to make the effort to network with everyone who I probably won't ever meet again.

If only Hogwarts was real, it'd be the perfect school. *sighs longingly* Some scenes in Hogwarts were actually filmed at Oxford University. What's your favourite spell? Mine is 'Avada Kedavra', it represents something that Everyone will face- Death.

I got my DofE Bronze in year 10, year 11 is too important to do anything in, especially as the expedition is on my B1 exam, so I skipped silver and am just jumping to Gold this year.

My favourite spell is probably between the Cruciatus curse and sectumsepra. Don't know why, but death alone doesn't seem satisfactory for someone who killed millions or raped or something like that. And so Crucio really did catch my eye (I'm making myself sound more like a lunatic in every minute); however on the good side, it allows the person to fix their lives instead of ending it. Sectumsepra is made by Snape due to how awesome he is at his stuff; need I say more?
Have fun! I've heard it's good to put on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I hope its fun!
(edited 9 years ago)
How do you lot feel about the HWSF formal dress code? I think it's professional and preparing us for our futures, I'm looking forward to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you lot feel about the HWSF formal dress code? I think it's professional and preparing us for our futures, I'm looking forward to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think this represents other peoples opinions, but I personally love suits; it just gives that sense of utter awesomeness and superiority - especially if you are in the most expensive place in London.

Anyway, at sixth form, practically every school forces a professional dress code; don't really have a choice.
(edited 9 years ago)

Whats your favourite Harry Potter book?
Has anyone heard of NCS the Challenge, its kinda like DofE, is anyone planning to do it?

Yeah it seemed like fun so im doing it near the end of July
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aqsahawan
Yeah it seemed like fun so im doing it near the end of Julyí ½í¸€

I'm doing mine near the end of July as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing it too! But last weeks of August for me :frown: What have you chosen as your skill?
My predicted grades are...

English Literature: A*
English Language: A*
Mathematics: A*
Core Science: A* (Achieved)
Additional Science: A*
Further Additional Science: A*
Geography: A*
Statistics: A*
I.T: A (coursework:A Theory:A*)
French: A
Humanities: B (Hopefully that'll improve, got A* in Feb Mocks)
Own Language: A* (easy to get, external GCSE)

Hopefully I can get better than my predicted too.
Going to go from above average to being the norm in HWSF :biggrin:

What predicted grades do the rest of you guys have? *curiously awaits response*

Enlgish Literature: A*
English Language: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics:A*
Maths: A*
Further Maths: A^
French: A* (although I doubt it considering I got a C in my listening mock)
RE: A*
History: A*
Sociology: A*
Psychology: A*

What A-Levels are you taking?
Original post by staringatshadows
I'm doing it too! But last weeks of August for me :frown: What have you chosen as your skill?

Enterprise; what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol we might see each other there I'm doing enterprise as well!!
Original post by aqsahawan
Lol we might see each other there I'm doing enterprise as well!!

Oh, nice! Well, good luck!
People, I need a bit of advice. For the past month or so I've been contemplating whether to continue maths to A level or not. I'm currently getting As but I think by June with a load of hard work I can pull off an A*, my teacher and tutor believe so too. Going into finance is my second plan for my future, something like accountancy will fill my cup but I'm not sure how I'd do on the A level course as people in my school sixth form get A*s at GCSE but Es and Ds at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending