The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aersh8
Could you please tell me the source of this information?

Jneill's FOI is from 2010 so it may have been introduced afterwards, but it would be nice to make sure since it hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, I thought that I had read it in the St John's thread. However, I Canon find anything anymore either, so I might have remembered something incorrectly. Sorry if I confused you, but I was sure that I had read it somewhere ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frigg113
So when do you get your first college bill; i thought a college bill would come at end of term, which makes sense as then they know what expenses to put on it. Giving you your bill before youve even used anything just sounds stupid..

It's common in the real word for rent, etc to be charged in advance.
Original post by jneill
It's common in the real word for rent, etc to be charged in advance.

Deposits are made on advance, but rent is paid at the end of the month. And college bill includes so much more things other than rent, like the food youve purchased from canteen in the term. So it seems baffling that this is done beforehand, wouldnt it make life simpler to do it after.
Original post by frigg113
Deposits are made on advance, but rent is paid at the end of the month. And college bill includes so much more things other than rent, like the food youve purchased from canteen in the term. So it seems baffling that this is done beforehand, wouldnt it make life simpler to do it after.

No, rent is usually paid in advance, plus a deposit. Also it's standard for pay-as-you-go card schemes to require an initial deposit from which onging costs are deducted.

But I do agree there's not enough transparency, and standardisation, about Caution Money etc.
Original post by Goods
They're commonplace at most universities and independent schools.

Anyway at john's you shouldn't be complaining about financial pressure your rent will probably be more than £1000 cheaper per year due to college subsidiaries in comparison to lots of colleges. Average weekly rent at robinson is £140 at johns is £85 (not to mention your rooms are nicer and bigger or atleast the room ive been to in cripps are) which would account to a saving of £1320 a year or roughly £4000 over a three year degree.

Yeah I know - that's one of the main reasons I applied to John's in the first place :biggrin: I just don't know where I'll get the money for a deposit this size in August

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wtffff does Homerton have such a stupid deposit thingy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umutalberts
Wtffff does Homerton have such a stupid deposit thingy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to this it's £150
http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/imce/pdf/UG_Accomm_Guide_%202014.pdf

Ok that's not too bad. I freaked thinking of the 4 digit numbers some colleges apparently ask for!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
They're commonplace at most universities and independent schools.

Anyway at john's you shouldn't be complaining about financial pressure your rent will probably be more than £1000 cheaper per year due to college subsidiaries in comparison to lots of colleges. Average weekly rent at robinson is £140 at johns is £85 (not to mention your rooms are nicer and bigger or atleast the room ive been to in cripps are) which would account to a saving of £1320 a year or roughly £4000 over a three year degree.

Does Robinson have the deposit charge? Also do you know where the accessible room is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hj
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
Does Robinson have the deposit charge? Also do you know where the accessible room is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

our deposit is £250. There's an accessible set on high court. I'm not sure where the accessible rooms are but I'd assume they're on high court as well because of the lift.

http://rooms.rcsa.co.uk/#overview thats the rooms webpage so you can check yourself and find it
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I know - that's one of the main reasons I applied to John's in the first place :biggrin: I just don't know where I'll get the money for a deposit this size in August

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i think its horrendous to have such financial disparity between colleges.

Colleges should not have any impact on the availability of funding and the financial pressures on students. It's simply farcical to say that colleges are all equivalent as places like trinity have a laptop fund and other colleges barely have any grants.
Original post by Goods

Colleges should not have any impact on the availability of funding and the financial pressures on students. It's simply farcical to say that colleges are all equivalent as places like trinity have a laptop fund and other colleges barely have any grants.

I most certainly agree but there's nothing we can do about it. I knew from the start that money is an issue and chose a college accordingly. Even so, I read that there is a university colleges fund where those colleges with greater income have to put in money for the benefit of the "poorer" colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods

I think it's generally fine for colleges to be different, that's the point of having independent colleges. But they need to be much more transparent about it, otherwise applicants aren't making a fair and informed choice.

This deposit issue highlights the problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Goods
our deposit is £250. There's an accessible set on high court. I'm not sure where the accessible rooms are but I'd assume they're on high court as well because of the lift.

http://rooms.rcsa.co.uk/#overview thats the rooms webpage so you can check yourself and find it

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do kitchens not have freezers? Wtf is this lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Why do kitchens not have freezers? Wtf is this lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol that's a bit ****
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol that's a bit ****

I know right, what if I want to have Ice cream. Are we allowed buy our own Fridges? (A little one)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I know right, what if I want to have Ice cream. Are we allowed buy our own Fridges? (A little one)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, well some anyway

Although ice cream will melt in fridges I think:tongue:
Original post by jneill
I think it's generally fine for colleges to be different, that's the point of having independent colleges. But they need to be much more transparent about it, otherwise applicants aren't making a fair and informed choice.

This deposit issue highlights the problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah definitely this. It's not just about transparency (though that's part of it) - it's also that applicants themselves seem to be under the impression that colleges are exactly the same when it comes to financial conditions, which is not the case.

Not that I think the disparities are really that major. I mean OK Trinity laptop fund and John's travel grants are nice-to-haves, but hardly essential - in the same category as May Balls really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending