The Student Room Group

Married Jehovah's Witness, 36, who had sex with boy, 15

Married Jehovah's Witness, 36, who had sex with boy, 15, after inviting him to sleepovers with her children avoids jail sentence

(,) Kelly Jane Richards met the teenager at their local church in South Wales
(.) She invited 'vulnerable' boy to her family home for sleepover with children
(.) But after arguing with her husband the pair had sex on her marital bed
(.) They began talking on the phone to the concern of the boy's own mother
(.) Richards, 36, told the 15-year-old that she loved him in one exchange
(.) She was spared jail by a judge at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court today

A Jehova's witness who had sex with a schoolboy was caught out when the child’s suspicious mother hid a tape recorder in his bedroom.
Mother-of-two Kelly Richards admitted having sex with the 15-year-old during a three-month affair but was spared prison by a judge yesterday.
The 36-year-old met the boy after he befriended one of her sons at church and she invited the teenager to her home for sleepovers with her children.

26EC44FD00000578-3007905-image-a-1_1427126981391.jpg

During their encounters, Richards had told the boy: ‘Don’t tell anyone because I might get done for this.’
But their relationship was uncovered after the teenager’s mother placed a tape recorder in her son’s bedroom to discover why he had started hiding his mobile phone and why he was spending so much time with the Richards family.
After the tape recordings revealed explicit phone conversations between Richards and the boy, his mother called in police.

The boy admitted to officers that Richards had had sex with him, giving him alcohol, asking him for massages and ‘leading me on’.
Prosecutor Roger Griffiths told Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court the pair had sex after Richards had an argument with her husband, Paul.
He said: ‘Mrs Richards was in her bedroom crying and [the boy] went into the room to comfort her.

The boy and Mrs Richards’ son went in to stop her from crying and were supportive. But her son left and Richards started kissing the boy which led to full sexual intercourse.
‘Mrs Richards was in her nightie, the boy was in his clothes…It was over very quickly.’ The pair then began talking on the phone and over Facebook. The court was told the boy’s housebound mother became suspicious about her son’s contact with Richards and took away his mobile. But Richards gave the boy a new SIM card and he was able to carry on the calls and texts on a different phone.
Mr Griffiths said: ‘There were also suggestions of leaving home when he was 16 which greatly upset his mother.’
Richards, of Mountain Ash, South Wales, sobbed as she admitted one count of sexual activity with a child between October and December 2012.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
next time she knocks at my door i'm going to let her in.

lol - the same picture in the telegraph is cropped. where did you get that picture from?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Skip_Snip
Would you say the same if the genders were flipped?

Do you think the judge would have ruled the same?
Original post by Skip_Snip
Would you say the same if the genders were flipped?

No
Original post by RMIM
Do you think the judge would have ruled the same?

Doubt it! Though we know very little about the case, maybe the boy took advantage of her while she was vulnerable etc...
What relevance does her religion have to this story?

(besides the fact her son befriended the other boy at church)
This nastiness and she calls herself a Christian.
Reply 7
The justice system in this country is an utter joke
Reply 8
Original post by German123
This nastiness and she calls herself a Christian.

Nasty is a strong word. Temptation?
Reply 9
Original post by Zander01
The justice system in this country is an utter joke

What alternative country would have handled it better?
Original post by RMIM
Nasty is a strong word. Temptation?

Yeah well that is a bit odd IMO.
Gross.
36 year old man has sex with 15 yr old girl = totally different reaction :judge:
Original post by RMIM
What alternative country would have handled it better?

I can't speak for other countries. But even if other countries' systems came to the same result, it would not negate my original statement.
Fine example of rape culture. All and sundry playing it down, joking about it and the media describing it as an affair and a sentence that reflects such a stance., just how feminists describe it.
Reply 15
Original post by caravaggio2
Fine example of rape culture. All and sundry playing it down, joking about it and the media describing it as an affair and a sentence that reflects such a stance., just how feminists describe it.

Actually I don't think it is legally rape unless they are under 13. Still illegal though.
Reply 16
Original post by Zander01
I can't speak for other countries. But even if other countries' systems came to the same result, it would not negate my original statement.

Then are you saying the power Judges have should be removed and no flexibility allowed (regardless of other factors) in cases like this. under 16 = jail? [What's scary is when 2 different Judges give different rulings. We need robots].
(edited 9 years ago)
If this was a 36 year old man and 15 year old girl, he'd be jailed for being a pedo.
Reply 18
This is a disgusting display of double standards in the UK legal system. The judge should be ashamed.
Original post by lucaf
Actually I don't think it is legally rape unless they are under 13. Still illegal though.

Sorry I was being ironic.
Unless the law has changed recently you need a penis to rape in the UK. Such is the sexist legislation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending