The Student Room Group

vote for the right person to reduce tuition fees

the tuition fees is too high
many students doesn't go uni cos of this
and we are in huge debt after uni
something have to done about this and must be reviewed during this election
so vote for the right person guys!!!!!!!!!!!
goodluck with your votes
Original post by mozes NWA
something have to done about this and must be reviewed during this election
so vote for the right person guys!!!!!!!!!!!
goodluck with your votes

Student debt really isn't that bad :s-smilie:
Reply 2
it is though its a lot especially if youre on a 4 year course
u will have to pay£36000 which is a lot mate
Reply 3

In comparison to what? The tuition fees are still heavily subsidised by the tax payer

And yet many did. Infact UCAS applications have risen continually since 2012 and should reach their 2011 peak by June this year.

Paid for as a tax on earnings with cut-offs and staggered repayment amounts. No other debt is this forgiving.

something have to done about this

It doesn't.
Reply 4
but other European countries like Germany pays lower tuition fees than the uk
so why cant we try it here in the uk
Original post by Reue
In comparison to what? The tuition fees are still heavily subsidised by the tax payer

And yet many did. Infact UCAS applications have risen continually since 2012 and should reach their 2011 peak by June this year.

Paid for as a tax on earnings with cut-offs and staggered repayment amounts. No other debt is this forgiving.

It doesn't.

a) It used to be free
b) We live in a society where soon you'll need a degree to work in McDonalds, the whole emphasis of schooling is now about getting the grades required to get into uni
c) Endlessly debateable!
Reply 6
Original post by Izzyeviel
a) It used to be free
b) We live in a society where soon you'll need a degree to work in McDonalds, the whole emphasis of schooling is now about getting the grades required to get into uni
c) Endlessly debateable!

a) Most workplace pensions also used to be 'free' with no contributions required. They are now completely unsustainable. Just because something used to be free does not make it a financially prudent move to continue.

b) If less people went to university the act of doing so would become perceived as more worthwhile and so reserved for the higher achieving positions. How many subsidised apprenticeship schemes should we cancel in order to fund a tuition fee reduction? Would that really help the situation.

c) ok
it is though its a lot especially if youre on a 4 year course
u will have to pay£36000 which is a lot mate

Well I would expect people to use that degree to get a good paying job, that will make the money taken off each month seem insignificant. Otherwise, what's the point of spending 4 years at uni?
Reply 8
a) It used to be free
c) Endlessly debateable!

yh nice point izzy agreed
Reply 9
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Well I would expect people to use that degree to get a good paying job, that will make the money taken off each month seem insignificant. Otherwise, what's the point of spending 4 years at uni?

but its not easy to get a job nowadays
most people with good qualifications doesn't even have a job yet
If they bring em down before I start uni then I'll vote!
but its not easy to get a job nowadays
most people with good qualifications doesn't even have a job yet

The people without jobs don't have to pay back their loans so why does it matter if they have student debt?
Original post by Reue
a) Most workplace pensions also used to be 'free' with no contributions required. They are now completely unsustainable. Just because something used to be free does not make it a financially prudent move to continue.

b) If less people went to university the act of doing so would become perceived as more worthwhile and so reserved for the higher achieving positions. How many subsidised apprenticeship schemes should we cancel in order to fund a tuition fee reduction? Would that really help the situation.

c) ok

I'm familiar with the job market in London, you'll find a lot of places won't even consider you for the position of Photo-copying gimp without having a degree.
Reply 13
Original post by theviper1
If they bring em down before I start uni then I'll vote!

so are u not gonna vote at all?
Reply 14
The people without jobs don't have to pay back their loans so why does it matter if they have student debt?

so whats the point of the govt imposing that huge money on us in the first place
Reply 15
I'm familiar with the job market in London, you'll find a lot of places won't even consider you for the position of Photo-copying gimp without having a degree.

All the more reason for making university more exclusive then, surely?

I'd be in favour of removing tuition fees if they also drastically reduced the number of university places. Many university degrees now would be better served as collages or apprenticeships.

:giggle: agree

Really? Why do you think most places want you to have degree, when essentially most of the learning is done on the job?

Because either way you look at it, it's a lose-lose scenario. You don't have a job, you don't pay back your loan, but that means you have no money and struggle. You do get a job and pay back your loan which effects your finances and could lead to struggle...
so whats the point of the govt imposing that huge money on us in the first place

I have no idea but if people have such a big problem with the student loans, they should think more carefully about the degree they choose to do and where. They should be aware of the job prospects of the course they choose to do and choose a reputable university with good links. If they still don't find a job after their course (with a high honours) then fair does. On the other hand if they choose to do a course with low job prospects or choose to do a course at a not so reputable university, I don't understand why they complain that they can't find a job. That's my opinion anyway. :s-smilie:

Smaller debts would be nice but people need to think more about what their future might be like if they choose to study a certain degree. It's all a business at the end of the day and the universities are the ones profiting.

Quick Reply

Latest