The Student Room Group

Asked to give a talk about uni life - help?

I'm currently in my first year of a degree, and my old college have asked id I'll come to visit to give a talk about 'my placements and university life' - any ideas for what I can say/talk about, I'm really stuck!
Youre in first year? So laying in till 12, attending under half your lectures and if it wasnt for a catered hall, spending your life savings on booze and takeaways :smile:
How about covering
- social life, nightlife, societies etc
- life in halls
- a week in the life
- what placement is like
- lectures, seminars and how learning is different at uni (ditto assessment)
- budgeting - how have you found it?
- any fears you had before uni (or common fears that people have) and whether or not they've come true

Don't forget time for questions at the end!
I'm sure your college is looking for a positive overview of your time at uni, so I would suggest focusing on the good bits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd impress on them that university is what you make of it and that your experience can be wildly different even to others on your course.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'd impress on them that university is what you make of it and that your experience can be wildly different even to others on your course.

Definitely this. :smile:
I'd start with asking whether uni is right for them, so whether they can get interested in the subject (e.g. liking maths and physics is one thing, liking engineering is another) and discussing alternatives, giving them some ideas on how to figure out which uni is best for them like looking at social life, what they want to get out of it, etc, showing sometimes stats do matter. Show how experiences can vary, some people will grow, some will push through it and others won't handle it.

Encourage some kind of experience being more independent beforehand, focusing on travel, budgeting, shopping and cooking, learning and generally starting new things. Very much emphasise the independence of being at uni, it's a huge part of the experience.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd start with asking whether uni is right for them, so whether they can get interested in the subject (e.g. liking maths and physics is one thing, liking engineering is another) and discussing alternatives, giving them some ideas on how to figure out which uni is best for them like looking at social life, what they want to get out of it, etc, showing sometimes stats do matter. Show how experiences can vary, some people will grow, some will push through it and others won't handle it.

Encourage some kind of experience being more independent beforehand, focusing on travel, budgeting, shopping and cooking, learning and generally starting new things. Very much emphasise the independence of being at uni, it's a huge part of the experience.

You're old college might not like this but I would definitely say that uni isn't for everyone and that if they're uncertain about whether to go or what course then taking time out is a legitimate option. I know your old college probably want you to tell them that uni is a 24 hour party zone and that everyone should go so they can boost their percentages going to uni but I personally wouldn't be comfortable with encouraging them into a decision that might not be the right one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending