The Student Room Group

British student life

Hi everyone,

I'm currently applying to various master's degree in Uk and had one offer (still waiting for others though) and as a non-british student, I clearly don't know where I'm going through since the british and french systems are definitely not the same..

I just want to know how classes go, how many exams can do we have per month, etc..
And especially concerning the part-time mode, I know that you have 2-3 days per week of study but what else should I know about it please?

Thanks
Reply 1
We drink a lot, and we're generally pricks.
Those sort of things will vary massively between universities and between courses, you'd be better off asking about a particular course if you want to know how it's structured.
Reply 3
Original post by Jakerc1
We drink a lot, and we're generally pricks.

I'm from France and we do that too :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Those sort of things will vary massively between universities and between courses, you'd be better off asking about a particular course if you want to know how it's structured.

Yes I understand ! i'm applying to master's degree from arts & humanities departments
Original post by irisparis
Yes I understand ! i'm applying to master's degree from arts & humanities departments

There's no universal structure for a Master's degree in arts and humanities. Like I said, it will vary between universities and individual courses.
Before accepting the offer I'd advise you to ask employers whether the value of spending a year immersed in the English language, but also only 72 ECTS worth of instruction, is worth more to them than having the 120 ECTS which is standard in mainland Europe.

As for how exams and assessment works, in general you will have two semesters per year of about 15 weeks, at the end of those semesters you will have exams, somewhere just before the middle you may have midterms. You might also get assignments during lecture periods. To make it more complicated, your holidays are split by terms rather than semesters, so you may do 12/10/8 instead of 15/15. As a masters student I think you will also have your thesis/dissertation which you do in the summer.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Before accepting the offer I'd advise you to ask employers whether the value of spending a year immersed in the English language, but also only 72 ECTS worth of instruction, is worth more to them than having the 120 ECTS which is standard in mainland Europe.

As for how exams and assessment works, in general you will have two semesters per year of about 15 weeks, at the end of those semesters you will have exams, somewhere just before the middle you may have midterms. You might also get assignments during lecture periods. To make it more complicated, your holidays are split by terms rather than semesters, so you may do 12/10/8 instead of 15/15. As a masters student I think you will also have your thesis/dissertation which you do in the summer.

Thanks a lot for your answer, it helps a lot. Yes I understand that the level is not the same but I actually want to work in UK. I've already done an internship in London and that's what made me want to apply here. Of course it won't be the same as studying but I definitely don't want to go back to France after the MA.

One last question please : do you know someone who is studying or studied part-time so he/she could help me with my request? Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by irisparis
One last question please : do you know someone who is studying or studied part-time so he/she could help me with my request? Thanks :smile:

You would need to ask someone from the Masters course that you want to do, at the uni where you intend to study.

Most UK unis have a section here on TSR - you could post a more specific question there.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest