The Student Room Group

S2 Question

I don't understand part c. Please help.
I haven't got much time to look at this but it looks like conditional probability to me. What is the probability that A happens given B in this case you are after P(Lives 8 days given that it has lived 3) you know a formula to do these?
Reply 2
Original post by poorform
I haven't got much time to look at this but it looks like conditional probability to me. What is the probability that A happens given B in this case you are after P(Lives 8 days given that it has lived 3) you know a formula to do these?

P(AnB)/P(B)

Struggling to get the numerator.
Original post by zed963
P(AnB)/P(B)

Consider: P(>8days>3days)=P(>8days)P(>3days)\displaystyle P(>8days|>3days)=\frac{P(>8days)}{P(>3days)}

You have a formula for this no?
Reply 4
Original post by poorform
Consider: P(>8days>3days)=P(>8days)P(>3days)\displaystyle P(>8days|>3days)=\frac{P(>8days)}{P(>3days)}

You have a formula for this no?

No unfortunately, I've never come across this, I'm guessing this is from S1.
Original post by zed963
No unfortunately, I've never come across this, I'm guessing this is from S1.

No this is given as part of the question.
Reply 6
Original post by zed963
P(AnB)/P(B)

You are right with this formula. Reading the question it says GIVEN a mosquito survives 3 days, find the probability it will survive AT LEAST 5 MORE days
i.e P(T>8|T>3) = [P({T>8}n{T>3})]/P(t>3)

Consider the numerator. What is t>8 n t>3, thats like saying when are BOTH conditions satisfied, well both t>8 and t>3 are satisfied for t>8 so:

P(T>8|T>3) =[P(T>8)]/[P(T>3)]

In the question, it tells you the function for the probability that a mosquito survives more than t days (that is P(T>t)) so this can be used to put the fraction above into a numerical answer

Hope this helps somewhat..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Rjix
You are right with this formula. Reading the question it says GIVEN a mosquito survives 3 days, find the probability it will survive AT LEAST 5 MORE days
i.e P(T>8|T>3) = [P({T>8}n{T>3})]/P(t>3)

Consider the numerator. What is t>8 n t>3, thats like saying when are BOTH conditions satisfied, well both t>8 and t>3 are satisfied for t>8 so:

P(T>8|T>3) =[P(T>8)]/[P(T>3)]

In the question, it tells you the function for the probability that a mosquito survives more than t days (that is P(T>t)) so this can be used to put the fraction above into a numerical answer

Hope this helps somewhat..

Wow, that makes sense thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by zed963
Wow, that makes sense thank you.

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest