The Student Room Group

linear graphs question

the picture is a kite with A being the point (2,9) and C which is (8,1). the first question asked to find x which is (5,5), the second part is asking to find the equation of the diagonal DB, how do I do this? please helpImageUploadedByStudent Room1427222797.066397.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
the picture is a kite with A being the point (2,9) and C which is (8,1). the first question asked to find x which is (5,5), the second part is asking to find the equation of the diagonal DB, how do I do this? please helpImageUploadedByStudent Room1427222797.066397.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you know that the diagonals of cross at right angles and does that help?
Original post by maggiehodgson
did you know that the diagonals of cross at right angles and does that help?

I do, do I use Pythagoras for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do, do I use Pythagoras for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you find the equation of a straight line given two points? And do you know about the gradients of perpendicular lines?
If you know points D and B you can use y-b=m(x-a) to work out equation
m = gradient (can be worked out from two points)
A = x coordinate of one of the points
B = y coordinate if the same point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you find the equation of a straight line given two points? And do you know about the gradients of perpendicular lines?

do i find the gradient of AC then use that to find the equation of DB, is DB perpendicular to AC?
Original post by It's_Ailie
If you know points D and B you can use y-b=m(x-a) to work out equation
m = gradient (can be worked out from two points)
A = x coordinate of one of the points
B = y coordinate if the same point

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would if i knew the point of d and b but they don't give it haha, thanks though
i would if i knew the point of d and b but they don't give it haha, thanks though

Ah ah BUT you know that the diagonals cross at a point for which you have calculated the co-ordinates. And I suspect you can now use the gradient and the x and y values to find the equation of the line.

Yes? No?
Ah ah BUT you know that the diagonals cross at a point for which you have calculated the co-ordinates. And I suspect you can now use the gradient and the x and y values to find the equation of the line.

Yes? No?

yes? was i write about the other thing, using the gradient of AC to find the equation of perpendicular DB line?
yes? was i write about the other thing, using the gradient of AC to find the equation of perpendicular DB line?

Yes. The product of the gradients of perpendicular lines is -1 (just in case you needed a reminder)
Yes. The product of the gradients of perpendicular lines is -1 (just in case you needed a reminder)

thanks, i worked out the answer :smile:
thanks, i worked out the answer :smile:

Hurray. Well done.

Quick Reply

Latest