The Student Room Group

Thoughts on fasted cardio?

From people who have experienced the results of it?

Scroll to see replies

Miserable to do at the time

Feel great having eaten after it

It's got no real scientific proof that it is better than non-fasted and should be taken as personal preference. I quite like it and do it when I can
Original post by Angry cucumber
Miserable to do at the time

Feel great having eaten after it

It's got no real scientific proof that it is better than non-fasted and should be taken as personal preference. I quite like it and do it when I can

Ok thanks, I like it ive lost 2 pound apparently in two days from doing it. Its hell jogging 2 miles on an empty stomach but I love the feeling afterwards and my stomach doesnt look as fat
Original post by trifleontoast
Ok thanks, I like it ive lost 2 pound apparently in two days from doing it. Its hell jogging 2 miles on an empty stomach but I love the feeling afterwards and my stomach doesnt look as fat

For it to work at its best you need to be out for at least 90min, you wont start burning fat until you have gone 5-7 miles until that point you are running of your residual glycogen stores. I go for 10 miles and try to keep hr at 60-70% max. Doing it this way I lost a lot of fat very quickly but you must get into the fat burning zone by fully depleting your glycogen when this happens you will know about it, it feels like running through treakle.
Also a coffee will wake up your metabolism.
Original post by earthworm
For it to work at its best you need to be out for at least 90min, you wont start burning fat until you have gone 5-7 miles until that point you are running of your residual glycogen stores. I go for 10 miles and try to keep hr at 60-70% max. Doing it this way I lost a lot of fat very quickly but you must get into the fat burning zone by fully depleting your glycogen when this happens you will know about it, it feels like running through treakle.

Also a coffee will wake up your metabolism.

Science not even once
No not much science but here's a little, this is what I base my 90 min claim on:

Horowitz JF, Mora-Rodriguez R, Byerley LO,and Coyle EF. Substrate metabolism when subjects are fed carbohydrate during exercise. Am J Physiol 276(5 Pt 1): E828-E835, 1999.

The rest is fairly accepted exercise science in endurance sport except the coffee.
I admit that I have extrapolated alot from it.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Science not even once
I find it difficult. I don't perform as well.
No not much science but here's a little, this is what I base my 90 min claim on:

Horowitz JF, Mora-Rodriguez R, Byerley LO,and Coyle EF. Substrate metabolism when subjects are fed carbohydrate during exercise. Am J Physiol 276(5 Pt 1): E828-E835, 1999.

The 80-90 minute figure that you based you claim on does not relate to the time taken to achieve glycogen depletion rather the point at which fat oxidation in the fed group was reduced below the fasting group levels.

The study does state that they found a significant elevation in fat mobilisation within the first 30 minutes of fasted exercise - it wasn't 80-90 minutes before they started to see the "magic" happen.

I think you need to re-read the whole paper:wink:

I struggle to see how anyone couldn't lose weight while adopting a high volume running regime on a calorie controlled diet!

What you saw had very little to do with meal or exercise timing, fat burning "zones" or glycogen depletion, rather simply energy balance (ie; increased calorific expenditure through running 20+ miles per week, alongside a maintenance or even a calorie restricted diet).

---

I have dabbled with fasted training in the past however I cannot say that I got better results than non fasted training alongside a calorie controlled diet.

At the time I got good results because I was increasing overall training volume significantly with additional low impact exercise that did not detract from the rest of my training. I achieved similar results over the last couple of weeks training non fasted but simply cleaning up my diet slightly and increasing training intensity.

No mysteries there!
Hmm when I was doing it it wasn't to lose weight but to train my body to work with depleted glycogen. I had bonked badly in 2 marathons in the summer and wanted to address this aspect of training. After 90min doing fasted cardio I did indeed bonk and I hypothesised that this was reflected in the study's increase in fat metabolism (vs control)

In my case I actually dropped mileage from 40miles per week to 30 when I started fasted cardio and continued to lose weight. This does not necessarily make fasted cardio better for loosing weight there could be other causes-as you rightly state any calorific deficit results in weight loss. I did however enjoy it and it fitted better in my day than a 20 mile fed run and seemed to help my bonking issue.

Original post by ch0c0h01ic
The 80-90 minute figure that you based you claim on does not relate to the time taken to achieve glycogen depletion rather the point at which fat oxidation in the fed group was reduced below the fasting group levels.

The study does state that they found a significant elevation in fat mobilisation within the first 30 minutes of fasted exercise - it wasn't 80-90 minutes before they started to see the "magic" happen.

I struggle to see how anyone couldn't lose weight while adopting a high volume running regime on a calorie controlled diet!

What you saw had very little to do with meal or exercise timing, fat burning "zones" or glycogen depletion, rather simply energy balance (ie; increased calorific expenditure through running 20+ miles per week, alongside a maintenance or even a calorie restricted diet).

---

I have dabbled with fasted training in the past however I cannot say that I got better results than non fasted training alongside a calorie controlled diet.

At the time I got good results because I was increasing overall training volume significantly with additional low impact exercise that did not detract from the rest of my training. I achieved similar results over the last couple of weeks training non fasted but simply cleaning up my diet slightly and increasing training intensity.

No mysteries there!
works on different people, i love fasted cardio. if i eat before i go to the gym i feel lazy and tired BUT if im fasted i have a better workout, i drink Robinsons no sugar mixed with water and plain BCAA, that does me nicely during the workout, after i finish (1hr30m) later which includes my shower.. i then walk home and make myself a nice big meal. I workout every morning by the way, my alarm goes off, do my toiletries..brush my teeth, get my bottle of water with robinsons and mix wth BCAA then 10min walk to the gym.

do each for 1 week and see which one suits you best.

Good luck!
hate it, I just feel sluggish, weak and don't get a good work out... maybe if i stuck with it I would improve and it would be good to do but I'm really not prepared to!

Sorry Earthworm, but disregard this OP. Net calorie balance is important for fat loss, not depleting glycogen/bonking for marathon training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Sorry Earthworm, but disregard this OP. Net calorie balance is important for fat loss, not depleting glycogen/bonking for marathon training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Op didn't mention fat loss..apart from depleting glycogen quickly, I struggle to see any science in fasted cardio, if anything low insulin will impede muscle building. It does help you can squeeze a run in early though.
Op didn't mention fat loss..apart from depleting glycogen quickly, I struggle to see any science in fasted cardio, if anything low insulin will impede muscle building. It does help you can squeeze a run in early though.

Fair play. Sorry! But thought that's what he meant.
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Fair play. Sorry! But thought that's what he meant.

I think its a fair assumption though. I agree with your points on fat loss too.
It really depends on the person. I think scientifically from what I read there is no real 'one is better than the other', but rather what works for that person. Some people feel and perform better running fasted, kudos to them! Others, like me, prefer to have grub in me before doing cardio, I feel I push harder due to that extra carbs and bcaa inside me.
I don't like exercise while hungry myself however i have noticed when i do it that it gives me an unreal energy boost for hours afterward. I think it'd down to my body usually building energy slowly (wakeup, breakfast) whereas this kind of forces your body to get into gear and flood the body with energy or perhaps i just get more endorphin's than usual.
Reply 18
Original post by ch0c0h01ic

---

No mysteries there!

I tend to go running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, so this intrigues me

You burn most your fat 30 minutes into the exercise?

Just curious, I don't do running to lose weight, more so out of keeping my body and mind healthy

Original post by trifleontoast
From people who have experienced the results of it?

It's ok, I don't see it any different really. The only time I can tell the difference is when I go running as soon as I get up and my muscles take more time to warm up.
Original post by zKlown
I tend to go running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, so this intrigues me

You burn most your fat 30 minutes into the exercise?

Just curious, I don't do running to lose weight, more so out of keeping my body and mind healthy

It's ok, I don't see it any different really. The only time I can tell the difference is when I go running as soon as I get up and my muscles take more time to warm up.

bruh

your sig, that is so old school.

dot rotten?

Quick Reply