The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by mario2
oxford students are idiots

*Oxford students are idiots.

(Discuss.)
Do you think I'll have more chances if I go there in person for the interview? I also hope to be there at the open days!
Original post by Bearbert
Do you think I'll have more chances if I go there in person for the interview? I also hope to be there at the open days!

You won't be disadvantaged by having, say, a Skype interview instead.

However, I would recommend taking the few days in Oxford if you can - for experience more than anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PatBunker
GCSE grades: 13A*, 1A
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Latin, French, Economics, Modern History
Course: PPE
College: Don't know yet, possibly Balliol

I'm predicted straight As at AS, and an A* in my Maths A level which I'm taking this year. Just looking for any general advice anyone has, or specifically about these things:

- How do I choose a college? Some people have told me that it really doesn't matter, and others have said you need to be tactical about it and play the numbers game, and I don't know what advice to take! I'm big on football, so a college with a good football team is preferable!

- How important is the TSA, and how do I prepare for it?

- Is it true that they ask you some very strange questions in the interview, and if so, what are some examples?

- How much will work experience, and extra-curricular activities related to my subject (such as EYP, debating etc.)?

Any help is much appreciated :smile:

Hello there. My advice is that PPE is competitive, so don't assume anything. Your academic record and predicted grades are indeed very good, but that will be the case for all who apply. You'll need to score well in the TSA as well in order to be in the running for an interview. It's a tough business applying for PPE!

In picking a college, I wouldn't try playing the numbers game, as it just doesn't work. All PPE applicants are assessed as a cohort. All those whose applications score lowest will be rejected and there will be a redistribution (with many being reallocated to other colleges) of the rest to ensure that the spread of applicants is equal, both in number and ability across the colleges. That said, you stand more chance of getting into your college of choice if you apply there. Come to the open days in July, if you want to make a truly informed choice of college; there's no better people to ask than current students.

You can read more on the TSA here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/preparing-for-tsa-oxford/ The only thing you can do really is to practice past papers. This will, at the very least, enable you to plan your time accordingly, which is where many slip up.

We can't speculate or discuss questions. Tutors' styles will differ between colleges, so I would simply just expect the unexpected. If you're bright enough, you'll cope!

Extra curricular activity isn't really looked at that closely. Tutors would expect to see something on the UCAS form, but I'd only devote a few sentences to it and only if it's relevant.

I hope this is helpful, but do feel free to email should you wish to continue this conversation: [email protected]

Libby Charlton (Admissions Officer)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hello there. My advice is that PPE is competitive, so don't assume anything. Your academic record and predicted grades are indeed very good, but that will be the case for all who apply. You'll need to score well in the TSA as well in order to be in the running for an interview. It's a tough business applying for PPE!

In picking a college, I wouldn't try playing the numbers game, as it just doesn't work. All PPE applicants are assessed as a cohort. All those whose applications score lowest will be rejected and there will be a redistribution (with many being reallocated to other colleges) of the rest to ensure that the spread of applicants is equal, both in number and ability across the colleges. That said, you stand more chance of getting into your college of choice if you apply there. Come to the open days in July, if you want to make a truly informed choice of college; there's no better people to ask than current students.

You can read more on the TSA here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/preparing-for-tsa-oxford/ The only thing you can do really is to practice past papers. This will, at the very least, enable you to plan your time accordingly, which is where many slip up.

We can't speculate or discuss questions. Tutors' styles will differ between colleges, so I would simply just expect the unexpected. If you're bright enough, you'll cope!

Extra curricular activity isn't really looked at that closely. Tutors would expect to see something on the UCAS form, but I'd only devote a few sentences to it and only if it's relevant.

I hope this is helpful, but do feel free to email should you wish to continue this conversation: [email protected]

Libby Charlton (Admissions Officer)

Thanks very much for your help, and I certainly shan't assume anything - just looking at some of the other people on this forum makes sure of that!
Thanks very much for your help, and I certainly shan't assume anything - just looking at some of the other people on this forum makes sure of that!

Sorry, I didn't mean it quite the way I wrote that. I'm sure you'd make a competitive application, just proceed with caution...
May as well add my two cents:

GCSE grades: 2 A*, 5 A, 1 B.

A-Levels: History of Art, English Literature, Religious Studies and Maths

Course: History of Art!

College: Wadham :love:

Anyone else planning on applying to Wadham or for History of Art? :biggrin:
Reply 347
Anyone going to apply for PPE?
Original post by Ibac
Anyone going to apply for PPE?

I am applying, but seriously doubting I will get in :frown: The thing with not studying A-levels or IB makes it really hard to know if I even stand a chance... Which other universities have you considered?
Original post by Oakflame
The thing with not studying A-levels or IB makes it really hard to know if I even stand a chance...

Why? Providing you're on for the equivalent in whatever qualification you are taking then it's fine.
GCSE grades: 13A*, 1A
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Latin, French, Economics, Modern History
Course: PPE
College: Don't know yet, possibly Balliol

I'm predicted straight As at AS, and an A* in my Maths A level which I'm taking this year. Just looking for any general advice anyone has, or specifically about these things:

- How do I choose a college? Some people have told me that it really doesn't matter, and others have said you need to be tactical about it and play the numbers game, and I don't know what advice to take! I'm big on football, so a college with a good football team is preferable!

- How important is the TSA, and how do I prepare for it?

- Is it true that they ask you some very strange questions in the interview, and if so, what are some examples?

- How much will work experience, and extra-curricular activities related to my subject (such as EYP, debating etc.)?

Any help is much appreciated :smile:

Brasenose have covered most of the answers in good detail already, so I won't repeat that advice.

On picking a College, go on the open day. Look round a number of Colleges- by look round, I mean have a tour round and chat to the students/tutors as opposed to just looking at the main quad and leaving as some people bizarrely do. In picking which Colleges to look at, I would go for a mix of newer/older Colleges with varying levels of accommodation unless there's something you especially want in a College (e.g. lots of ensuites bathrooms) in which case base your choice on that. I would also encourage you to look at a few Colleges that you would on first inspection discount. I thought I'd hate my eventual choice of undergrad College based on their website, but it actually ended up being the one I loved the feel of looking round. You can never really predict these things.
Original post by jenkinsear
Why? Providing you're on for the equivalent in whatever qualification you are taking then it's fine.

The only thing it says on the international qualifications page for my country, is; "Avgangsbetyg with a total of 2500 points, with scores of MVG (excellent) or A or B in the majority of relevant subjects." And that means I must study the minimum amount of courses allowed to graduate (2500 points) and have what, an A/B grade for the majority of about 25 courses? PPE doesn't state which subjects that are relevant.... :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
The only thing it says on the international qualifications page for my country, is; "Avgangsbetyg with a total of 2500 points, with scores of MVG (excellent) or A or B in the majority of relevant subjects." And that means I must study the minimum amount of courses allowed to graduate (2500 points) and have what, an A/B grade for the majority of about 25 courses? PPE doesn't state which subjects that are relevant.... :frown:

Hmm I accept that is very unhelpful.

I strongly suggest you email the admissions office of a College seeking guidance. If they don't know the answer, they will probably be able to find out for you or at least clarify what is meant by that.

As a guess I would say anything traditionally academic will probably be seen as relevant. Maths, anything essay based, languages. Music, Art, Drama etc probably falls into the non-relevant category. But that is simply a guess, email as I suggest above (Y)
Reply 353
I am applying, but seriously doubting I will get in :frown: The thing with not studying A-levels or IB makes it really hard to know if I even stand a chance... Which other universities have you considered?

I'm an italian student so it's pretty hard even for me! The problem is that everyone who is applying is as good as you (or better!)
I'm going for Ucl,Kings and Warwick
For the last one I have to choose between Lse and Durham
And you?
Thanks very much - I'm actually going to a politics and economics taster day at LMH tomorrow so should have a chance to look around Oxford.. Is anyone else going?

Yes, this means that you'd have to study the minimum amount of courses that will allow you to graduate with 2500 points. As PPE doesn't have particular subject requirements, then you don't need to worry too much about which courses you achieve As and Bs in. Maths would be useful (particularly for the Economics element of the course), but is not an official requirement for the course.
Original post by Ibac
I'm an italian student so it's pretty hard even for me! The problem is that everyone who is applying is as good as you (or better!)
I'm going for Ucl,Kings and Warwick
For the last one I have to choose between Lse and Durham
And you?

What subject? And I agree it's harder for an international student to get in, but the difference isn't massive, IMHO
I'm also applying to Imperial, Warwick, Bristol and Manchester I think.
Reply 357
What subject? And I agree it's harder for an international student to get in, but the difference isn't massive, IMHO
I'm also applying to Imperial, Warwick, Bristol and Manchester I think.

PPE, you?
Original post by Ibac
PPE, you?

Mathematics
Reply 359
Mathematics

You need the MAT, don't you?
Good luck! I'm really anxious

Latest

Trending

Trending