The Student Room Group

St Dominic's Sixth Form College 2014- 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Woo accepted 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Well done on the offers guys :wink: try to think now if you really want to come to Doms. Many people don't think about it until the end of August which is very stressful...the biggest issue people face is usually between staying at their own school sixth form and st doms.

I would highly recommend Doms of course but the decision ultimately lies with you...remember you can quote/PM me if you have any questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Well done on the offers guys :wink: try to think now if you really want to come to Doms. Many people don't think about it until the end of August which is very stressful...the biggest issue people face is usually between staying at their own school sixth form and st doms.

I would highly recommend Doms of course but the decision ultimately lies with you...remember you can quote/PM me if you have any questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have till April till we have to pay the fund thing 😕
I have so stuck whether to stay at mine or move!
Just wondering does the library and canteen fill up fast cos its so small compared to the number of people?
Reply 84
Original post by theworkkid
We have till April till we have to pay the fund thing 😕
I have so stuck whether to stay at mine or move!
Just wondering does the library and canteen fill up fast cos its so small compared to the number of people?

Pay the fund when you can, I don't think they're too strict on the deadlines (but try to do it before the deadline). And yes you're right, the library gets filled up quickly. In fact, the library is being upgraded as we speak...it should be open and ready in September for you guys (it's bigger).

Also for the canteen, 1st years and 2nd years have different lunches. 2nd years have 12.05-1.10 and 1st years have 1.10-2.15 though this might change. Bear in mind many 2nd years have frees during 1st lunch too (and vice versa) so you're not totally segregated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Hey, I got into St.Dominics as well and I need a 6.5 GPA . I plan on taking maths further maths economics physics and an EPQ- how are the departments in these subject areas??
Reply 86
Original post by Ahmed360
Hey, I got into St.Dominics as well and I need a 6.5 GPA . I plan on taking maths further maths economics physics and an EPQ- how are the departments in these subject areas??

They're all very strong, especially maths. EPQ depends on what supervisor you get. AS results for maths fm econ have been especially strong with over 50% getting an A in each...although with the alevel reforms there will be some differences for you. No doubt doms will try its hardest to prepare you as best as they can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ahmed360

Wooo maths, further maths and economics 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Hi I got accepted to St. Doms as well, and I have no idea why, as my grades are really bad, only 3 A*, a few As and the rest Bs, I even had a C! I didn't get invitedd to the seminar like some of my friends and then surprisingly, an email came yesterday, telling me that I'm accepted. But then I realised I want to change one of my subjects, art history to economics? Should I just email the school about wanting to change subjects and would that affect my offer?
Reply 89
Original post by Lilytan
Hi I got accepted to St. Doms as well, and I have no idea why, as my grades are really bad, only 3 A*, a few As and the rest Bs, I even had a C! I didn't get invitedd to the seminar like some of my friends and then surprisingly, an email came yesterday, telling me that I'm accepted. But then I realised I want to change one of my subjects, art history to economics? Should I just email the school about wanting to change subjects and would that affect my offer?

Nah you'll be able to switch when you enroll in August :smile: I switched from philosophy and music to maths and economics on enrollment haha! Congrats on the offer though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Dylann
Nah you'll be able to switch when you enroll in August :smile: I switched from philosophy and music to maths and economics on enrollment haha! Congrats on the offer though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks but I'm worried about the places for subject filling up? Fingers crossed, hope it'll be ok! Thanks:smile: Quite happy about it as I really didn't think I'll get in. No offence but I heard that the school is quite racist, with the whites being with the whits, the Asians on the other side, is that true?
Reply 91
Original post by Lilytan
Ok thanks but I'm worried about the places for subject filling up? Fingers crossed, hope it'll be ok! Thanks:smile: Quite happy about it as I really didn't think I'll get in. No offence but I heard that the school is quite racist, with the whites being with the whits, the Asians on the other side, is that true?

Economics is quite popular but I reckon they would be able to squeeze you in (as I said, I switched to economics and got in).

It's good that you've raised this point as it's quite interesting and important. By the "school" I hope you mean the students and not the college itself, which is definitely not racist! From my experience, yes the school is racially segregated in terms of friendship groups. There is no denying that. But that's natural and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll explain a few of my own thoughts:

There are certainly groups of Indian/South Asian (Sri Lankan, Tamil etc) students. These people often do not come from the same school so something must have happened since their arrival at St Doms. One reason I could suggest is people feel more naturally comfortable around their own race, and thus would spend more time with them and ultimately form friendship groups with them. This is also true of religions and not just race, for example a lot of muslim girls (especially those with hijabs) will form groups because they feel most comfortable around each other as they have a lot in common. Again, this is natural and not "wrong".

Subject choice is also sometimes relevant, for example last year my economics class had 3 white students and about 16 Indian/south Asian (2-3 from other races). However, I'm sure if you were to look at politics or psychology there would be a much greater proportion of white students for example.

Lastly, the previous school is sometimes important too. There are some groups of friends who all/almost all went to the same previous school. This is probably most noticeable in the white population. 20% of the students come from the partner schools (Salvotorian and Sacred Heart) which are catholic schools, and thus would naturally have a large proportion of white students. Since students from these schools will already know each other, they are likely to remain in friendship groups at Doms - thus there are groups of white students, but not necessarily because they're white but because they knew each other from before. (I would also say that a good proportion of black students are also from the partner schools). Despite this, I do see a lot of white people who didn't know each other from before hanging out together (often due to sports, gym or subject choice etc...)

A more personal example is myself, I'm a white British male. I'm not from one of the partner schools and I'm not a Catholic. When I first started Doms it was obvious a lot of the other white British males knew each other from Salvotorian. However, I didn't pay much attention to race when making friends, I made them naturally based on personality, when they had frees, subject choice, GCSE results, in class test scores etc (kidding about the last two lol). In my friendship groups I'm usually the only white person, and I really couldn't care less since I have a lot more in common with my friends than other white studentsn(for the record most of my friends are Indian/south asian). Most of my friends are smart too which helps a lot :biggrin:

Overall, although there is a lot of natural racial segregation it's definitely possible (and usually worthwhile) to make friends who aren't the same race as you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by Dylann
Economics is quite popular but I reckon they would be able to squeeze you in (as I said, I switched to economics and got in).

It's good that you've raised this point as it's quite interesting and important. By the "school" I hope you mean the students and not the college itself, which is definitely not racist! From my experience, yes the school is racially segregated in terms of friendship groups. There is no denying that. But that's natural and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll explain a few of my own thoughts:

There are certainly groups of Indian/South Asian (Sri Lankan, Tamil etc) students. These people often do not come from the same school so something must have happened since their arrival at St Doms. One reason I could suggest is people feel more naturally comfortable around their own race, and thus would spend more time with them and ultimately form friendship groups with them. This is also true of religions and not just race, for example a lot of muslim girls (especially those with hijabs) will form groups because they feel most comfortable around each other as they have a lot in common. Again, this is natural and not "wrong".

Subject choice is also sometimes relevant, for example last year my economics class had 3 white students and about 16 Indian/south Asian (2-3 from other races). However, I'm sure if you were to look at politics or psychology there would be a much greater proportion of white students for example.

Lastly, the previous school is sometimes important too. There are some groups of friends who all/almost all went to the same previous school. This is probably most noticeable in the white population. 20% of the students come from the partner schools (Salvotorian and Sacred Heart) which are catholic schools, and thus would naturally have a large proportion of white students. Since students from these schools will already know each other, they are likely to remain in friendship groups at Doms - thus there are groups of white students, but not necessarily because they're white but because they knew each other from before. (I would also say that a good proportion of black students are also from the partner schools). Despite this, I do see a lot of white people who didn't know each other from before hanging out together (often due to sports, gym or subject choice etc...)

A more personal example is myself, I'm a white British male. I'm not from one of the partner schools and I'm not a Catholic. When I first started Doms it was obvious a lot of the other white British males knew each other from Salvotorian. However, I didn't pay much attention to race when making friends, I made them naturally based on personality, when they had frees, subject choice, GCSE results, in class test scores etc (kidding about the last two lol). In my friendship groups I'm usually the only white person, and I really couldn't care less since I have a lot more in common with my friends than other white studentsn(for the record most of my friends are Indian/south asian). Most of my friends are smart too which helps a lot :biggrin:

Overall, although there is a lot of natural racial segregation it's definitely possible (and usually worthwhile) to make friends who aren't the same race as you :smile:

Thanks for the explanation:biggrin: It's good to know it happens naturally, not intentionally as I was quite worried about not being able to make friends easily lol (I'm asian btw)
I`ve heard the results at St. Doms are amazing, are they really that good? I`ve also been accepted to Twyford sixth form, have you heard of it? and I`m debating which I should choose.
Sorry for asking soooo many questions XD
Reply 93
Original post by Lilytan
Thanks for the explanation:biggrin: It's good to know it happens naturally, not intentionally as I was quite worried about not being able to make friends easily lol (I'm asian btw)
I`ve heard the results at St. Doms are amazing, are they really that good? I`ve also been accepted to Twyford sixth form, have you heard of it? and I`m debating which I should choose.
Sorry for asking soooo many questions XD

You will definitely be able to make friends don't worry :biggrin: I'm vaguely familiar with Twyford but I really do not know much about it... St Doms has excellent results yes, you can see them on the website. Ask as many questions are you like :smile:
Are st doms strict on things like being late to lesson? Like what punishments can you get?
Original post by studylife123
Are st doms strict on things like being late to lesson? Like what punishments can you get?

I wouldn't say they're strict. I mean, I'm late at least once a week to a lesson but I haven't really had any repercussions from that. If you're repeatedly late you can get a referral and your parents are phoned, or something along those lines. But if it's infrequent lateness and you're not late by too much, they aren't really that fussed about it.

Do bear in mind though that it's near impossible to get around being late because you register biometrically, so it's all down to a computer system, not a teacher registering you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh that's alright.
And btw do you get study leave? Because some sixth forms don't.
Are you going there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, we get study leave, though it starts a bit later than some other places I have friends in. Last year our study leave (AS) started on the 12th of May
Original post by Peregrine falcon
Yeah, we get study leave, though it starts a bit later than some other places I have friends in. Last year our study leave (AS) started on the 12th of May

That's good, at least you do get study leave.
When you were doing your As how many full days(8:25-4:25) did you have? Like did u have a lot of frees so that you didn't have to attend 8 hours a day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending