The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Things I hate about LSE

Those doors at the Seesaw (particularly the Tuns ones) Will they open? Nobody ****ing knows.

The library steps. Slightly too long to walk normally.

Investments conferences. So many f*cking investment conferences.

LSE100. This was that inspired this post. I hate this bastard with the burning intensity of a thousand suns.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StretfordEnd
Those doors at the Seesaw (particularly the Tuns ones) Will they open? Nobody ****ing knows.

LSE100. This was that inspired this post. I hate this bastard with the burning intensity of a thousand suns.

You forgot to mention that they're GCSE Nazis and they normally don't carry out interviews on their applicants.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Raymat
You forgot to mention that they're GCSE Nazis and they normally don't carry out interviews on their applicants.

I don't see why that's bad though...?
Original post by Raymat

I've heard this said (the GCSE Nazis) but I can't comment as my own experience is precisely the opposite - I have 4.

The lack of interviews is crap though, you end up with plenty of folks who have no real passion for their course or desire to engage with the material/their class beyond the extent that's necessary for them to get their 2:1. Bizarre, really.
Original post by *Stefan*
I don't see why that's bad though...?

Read StretfordEnd's quote.
Reply 5
Original post by Raymat
Read StretfordEnd's quote.

Yeah, I understand that. Most people don't understand though that MOST universities cannot interview their applicants. It's a very expensive process, and they just don't have the endowments of Oxbridge to afford it.

Interviewing their applicants could perhaps make it fairer, but that doesn't mean that LSE can, in fact, conduct interviews.
Original post by *Stefan*
Yeah, I understand that. Most people don't understand though that MOST universities cannot interview their applicants. It's a very expensive process, and they just don't have the endowments of Oxbridge to afford it.

Interviewing their applicants could perhaps make it fairer, but that doesn't mean that LSE can, in fact, conduct interviews.

Wow it all makes sense now. I managed to get an offer for 2 courses from UCL without interview and even Imperial gave me an offer without interview.

Carrying out interviews would certainly make things fairer. A student can have 10A* at GCSE and have no passion for their course whereas a person with 5A* + 5A at GCSE can have a lot of passion. Absence of interviews will not help distinguish between these 2 types of students.
Interviews also help distinguish between introverts and extroverts, as well as between public school students and state school. In a completely fair and balanced manner, of course!
Original post by Raymat

Not true, I have an offer with 2 A*s 3 As 3 Bs and a C.
Original post by Nickbonista
Not true, I have an offer with 2 A*s 3 As 3 Bs and a C.

You can even find students like you at Oxford and Cambridge. There are always going to be students at every elite university who don't have outstanding GCSEs but it doesn't mean they fit the trend. I can recall one student who had 6A*s at GCSE and he got rejected by LSE. The reason they gave was because he didn't have good enough GCSEs to compete.
Reply 10
I do not know a single person who absolutely enjoys the LSE life. From my personal observation, the students here are committed to their studies and when they are not studying, they are busy applying for internships and graduate schemes. LSE can be a very isolating place, kind of unfriendly and there is a strong sense of competition among peers. Some of you guys might have 'liked' the LSE Secrets page on Facebook where students posted anonymous thoughts to the page. Some of the posts, which include what is mentioned above, are not isolated cases. They are more common than might think among the student population in LSE. My social life has certainly suffered but it is the sacrifice I am willing to give in the short term, knowing that I have got into one of the best universities in the UK...
I do not know a single person who absolutely enjoys the LSE life. From my personal observation, the students here are committed to their studies and when they are not studying, they are busy applying for internships and graduate schemes. LSE can be a very isolating place, kind of unfriendly and there is a strong sense of competition among peers. Some of you guys might have 'liked' the LSE Secrets page on Facebook where students posted anonymous thoughts to the page. Some of the posts, which include what is mentioned above, are not isolated cases. They are more common than might think among the student population in LSE. My social life has certainly suffered but it is the sacrifice I am willing to give in the short term, knowing that I have got into one of the best universities in the UK...

It's a shame you think that. That's certainly not my experience, or the experience of basically anyone else I know at LSE.

LOL So true. I just push on them every time and allow myself to feel I have superhuman abilities if they open automatically.
Original post by faithxfaye

I think you may have missed the point about this particular thread. Yes there are those threads out there where people lay into all things LSE but this thread has its tongue stuck very firmly in its cheek.
Reply 13

Oh thanks for the illumination. I visited recently and was actually wondering why LSE does not have automatic doors.
the lectures are so insubstantial , just comparing one from open course in MIT, you will see the difference....
class teachers vary in attitudes... many of them just simply don't care...
you go there pretty much paying for a brand name and do all the learning and studying yourself.
Original post by Gnomes&Knights

They aren't GCSE nazis, I have subpar GCSE and am studying there right now.
Original post by faithxfaye

Everyone I know at LSE loves it and has a great social life! I do as well.

OMG LSE100, I have enough work without learning about poverty.
Reply 18
Original post by Jamie S
Everyone I know at LSE loves it and has a great social life! I do as well.

can you explain how social life is there?
Original post by xeniadmt
can you explain how social life is there?

I live in Bankside House accommodation and almost everyday (except sundays), you can find a group to go clubbing or to a bar with. There aren't many cliques (except for with East Asian students). So the nightlife is good!

As for general friendships, I think this is what you make of it - much like general life! I have a good circle of friends, often the same people I go drinking with. People go to Christmas Markets together, dinners out or just chill out in kitchens etc. Pretty ordinary really!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending