The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Plenty of goals in the football league tonight. Sheffield Utd won 4-0 against Scunthorpe who were reduced to 10 men to further boost their playoff chances, Rochdale were beaten 3-0 by Oldham to dent their chances of getting in the playoffs and Luton make it a 5th successive league defeat after a dazzling first half which saw all the goals scored as Wycombe ran out 3-2 winners.
Wycombe were really impressive it has to be said. One of my mates says he can't understand the difference between them this season compared to last..
Original post by hskjlclcn
Wycombe were really impressive it has to be said. One of my mates says he can't understand the difference between them this season compared to last..

Oh wow, I remember the final day of the season, Birmingham scoring in the last minute to survive in the Championship & Wycombe overcoming a 3 point deficit & goal difference swing to stay up, would be great to see them come back up to League One.
Scunthorpe absolutely battered at Bramall Lane last night. The battle for survival in League One is really hotting up. I can see them being dragged deeper into it over the next few games, they have a tough run in.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Oh wow, I remember the final day of the season, Birmingham scoring in the last minute to survive in the Championship & Wycombe overcoming a 3 point deficit & goal difference swing to stay up, would be great to see them come back up to League One.

Yeah we were all disappointed waiting in a pub for the Carlisle match when we heard Birmingham had scored that goal. Was quite happy hearing that Wycombe stayed up over the gas though. This years final day will be even madder, can already tell.
Original post by Mackay
Scunthorpe absolutely battered at Bramall Lane last night. The battle for survival in League One is really hotting up. I can see them being dragged deeper into it over the next few games, they have a tough run in.

Sheff Utd did us a favour there and have Crewe at home next. Our run-in looks not too bad and Mowbray I think should do it but he has a pile of **** players to contend with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Sheff Utd did us a favour there and have Crewe at home next. Our run-in looks not too bad and Mowbray I think should do it but he has a pile of **** players to contend with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saw the goals from your loss at the weekend. Individual defensive errors really, really cost you. I think it was Aaron Martin and your left-back respectively. Might be time to recall Ryan Haynes. I'd expect Reda Johnson's experience will be beneficial if he ever returns, too.
Original post by Mackay
Saw the goals from your loss at the weekend. Individual defensive errors really, really cost you. I think it was Aaron Martin and your left-back respectively. Might be time to recall Ryan Haynes. I'd expect Reda Johnson's experience will be beneficial if he ever returns, too.

I don't even bother watching when we lose because it's always the same story. Haynes makes the same mistakes, what we need is an experienced head, in goal as well as in defence. Mowbray tried with Ricketts so he's identified that as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't even bother watching when we lose because it's always the same story. Haynes makes the same mistakes, what we need is an experienced head, in goal as well as in defence. Mowbray tried with Ricketts so he's identified that as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ricketts would have been a heck of a signing. Shame he opted for Swindon really.

I think Yeovil and Colchester are certs for the drop, so it's two from you, Scunthorpe, Orient, Crawley, Crewe and Notts County.
Seven ex-Brentford players in the Wycombe team that won last night.
Original post by Mackay
Ricketts would have been a heck of a signing. Shame he opted for Swindon really.

I think Yeovil and Colchester are certs for the drop, so it's two from you, Scunthorpe, Orient, Crawley, Crewe and Notts County.

Scunthorpe and Crewe seem to be in free fall but I can see the target for safety this year being higher than normal-possibly 55 points which would be another 4 wins for us. We still have a number of these teams to play which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scunthorpe and Crewe seem to be in free fall but I can see the target for safety this year being higher than normal-possibly 55 points which would be another 4 wins for us. We still have a number of these teams to play which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could all come down to Crawley on the final day.
Ched Evans has said he is in talks with us over a contract. Surely not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Missed out on Jonny Williams who has joined Ipswich again, but I'm not really bothered. Would have been nice to get a midfielder enforcer but I'm happy with this team to go till May 2nd (and beyond..
Lovely little story from nonleague football for you all - a couple of mates and I entered the FC United annual pub quiz as the LGBTQ supporters branch but we needed an extra player. I tweeted the club's top scorer and he's agreed to play with us!
Ched Evans has said he is in talks with us over a contract. Surely not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fake account, mate.
Original post by Mackay
Fake account, mate.

I suspected as much, saw it posted on a forum.
I suspected as much, saw it posted on a forum.

The microscopic attention which accompanies him is probably the last thing your club needs right now. Just let Mowbray get on quietly with his business and see what comes of it! I'm convinced you'll stay up, but your fans probably don't need any more controversies.
Original post by Mackay
The microscopic attention which accompanies him is probably the last thing your club needs right now. Just let Mowbray get on quietly with his business and see what comes of it! I'm convinced you'll stay up, but your fans probably don't need any more controversies.

The fans are divided enough over SISU, Wasps owning the Ricoh and even sacking Pressley. People really need something to cheer about, we haven't had it in decades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fans are divided enough over SISU, Wasps owning the Ricoh and even sacking Pressley. People really need something to cheer about, we haven't had it in decades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since 1987 really.

Fancy yourselves to get a result tomorrow at Peterborough?

Quick Reply

Latest