The Student Room Group

A level revision

I DONT KNOW HOW TO REVISE! I HAVEN'T FOUND MY "WAY" OF REVISING. i HATE READING REVISION, MINDMAPS,POSTERS,AUDIO ETC... HEEELP:frown::mad:
Past Papers? That's how I do most of my revision
Reply 2
Original post by devangdave
past papers? That's how i do most of my revision

they don't help. Recently i think i am just turning stupid. Nothing ever sticks in my brain :frown:
I struggle the same way
Reply 4
Original post by quentinhamilton
I struggle the same way

so what should i do?
Original post by asan1998
so what should i do?
I now just type my revision notes and do past papers; slightly works for me:frown::frown:
Have you tried making notes? Revision cards? Watching videos online?
And what do you hate about the techniques you mentioned?
Reply 7
Original post by quentinhamilton
I now just type my revision notes and do past papers; slightly works for me:frown::frown:

ill try to do more then :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by cerlohee
Have you tried making notes? Revision cards? Watching videos online?
And what do you hate about the techniques you mentioned?

yeah i have. nothing works. its frustrating. All the methods mentioned here and above just annoy me. Its s boring and tedious and i never remember the content. :frown:
Summarise content so its concise on sheets of A4/A3 paper, so it's more understandable for you.
Rota repeat definition, model answers etc. I find many videos on YouTube explain difficult concepts well.
Give yourself prompts.
Repeat a little bit, then add a bit more.
Constantly review memorised content, to retain learnt stuff.
Finally do questions.

Revise notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by XcitingStuart
Summarise content so its concise on sheets of A4/A3 paper, so it's more understandable for you.
Rota repeat definition, model answers etc. I find many videos on YouTube explain difficult concepts well.
Give yourself prompts.
Repeat a little bit, then add a bit more.
Constantly review memorised content, to retain learnt stuff.
Finally do questions.

Revise notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou so much! i will try that
Get a copy of learning outcomes if possible (ask teacher, if not look online at the exam website. I'm Scottish so sqa for me, they have the course outline online which includes outcomes, I'm guessing it's the same in England)
Read a couple of the outcomes, then write about them in your own words (copying text does little for remembering stuff). Rewrite until you're pretty confident with those points. Then move on to next couple and do the same. Once you've finished a manageable block, write a summary paragraph of what you just learned without looking at notes/the learning outcomes. And/or make a set of summary notes using the leaning outcomes, making sure you put the points down in a form you understand, not just copying them out. Once you've done this, if you can, get someone to test you verbally using the learning outcome sheet/the summary notes you made. After all this try some past papers to make sure you are able to apply the knowledge.
This is what works the best for me. Stay away from copying out stuff word for word and just reading notes, those are the proven worst methods of revision as you don't really have to process the information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by It's_Ailie
Get a copy of learning outcomes if possible (ask teacher, if not look online at the exam website. I'm Scottish so sqa for me, they have the course outline online which includes outcomes, I'm guessing it's the same in England)
Read a couple of the outcomes, then write about them in your own words (copying text does little for remembering stuff). Rewrite until you're pretty confident with those points. Then move on to next couple and do the same. Once you've finished a manageable block, write a summary paragraph of what you just learned without looking at notes/the learning outcomes. And/or make a set of summary notes using the leaning outcomes, making sure you put the points down in a form you understand, not just copying them out. Once you've done this, if you can, get someone to test you verbally using the learning outcome sheet/the summary notes you made. After all this try some past papers to make sure you are able to apply the knowledge.
This is what works the best for me. Stay away from copying out stuff word for word and just reading notes, those are the proven worst methods of revision as you don't really have to process the information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a copy of the learning outcomes but didnt think to use it. Thats a great idea, thanks. And its true, im the same. I dont learn from just reading and copying word for word. Ill try this. Thankyou!:smile::smile::smile:
I like to condense information into one document and try learning it from there. Do revision early so you have time to do past papers too, this was my technique for AS bar some exams in which I only revised the day before as I didn't manage my time properly.
copy out of the revision guides?? Works for me :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by iLastKinq
I like to condense information into one document and try learning it from there. Do revision early so you have time to do past papers too, this was my technique for AS bar some exams in which I only revised the day before as I didn't manage my time properly.

Does this ALWAYS work for you?
Reply 16
Original post by Soul-Searching
copy out of the revision guides?? Works for me :smile:

Thanks, i'll try that:smile:
Original post by asan1998
Does this ALWAYS work for you?

Yep. What I always do. You'll have to find your own technique.

Quick Reply

Latest