The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

A funny stat...Peyton Manning's longest career rush (33 yard touchdown run back in 2001), is longer than Trent Richardson's longest run (a 32 yard touchdown run back in 2012)...I was looking at some of the draft notes from 2012, and well....how wrong does that look in hindsight? He was being compared to Adrian Peterson in the draft, and considered one of the future greats at the position.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/trent-richardson?id=2533032

However, I think there is hope for Trent Richardson, even if his chances are decreasing. I think he needs to slim down to about 215lbs, and get some of the explosion in his legs again. It puts him on the smaller size of being a running back, but he offers nothing at his current weight. His lack of vision is concerning, especially considering Alabama ran the ball pretty well, in a professional style offense.

While I hate the Raiders, offering just 600k guarenteed was a smart move. They get criticized for a lot of their recent FA deals, and rightly so, but there's a lot of no-risk attached. Shaub was released with minimal cap hit. Tuck could be cut for minimal hit, as could Donald Penn etc....
On a side note, what are everyone's favorite fight songs, in college? I say this as a fan of the ISU Bengals, of the Big Sky Conference...

Mine goes something like this...

15. Louisiana State, SEC -- "Fight for LSU"
14. Kentucky, SEC -- "On, on, U of K"
13. Florida, SEC -- "The Orange and Blue"
12. Oklahoma, Big XII -- "Boomer Sooner"
11. Boise State, MWC -- "Orange and Blue"
10. Texas A&M , SEC -- "The Aggie War Hymn"
09. North Dakota State, MVFC -- "We are the Pride"
08. Wisconsin, Big 10 -- "On, Wisconsin"
07. Oregon, PAC12 -- "Mighty Oregon"
06. Montana, Big Sky -- "Up With Montana" (very similar to Georgia Tech's)
05. Michigan State, Big 10 -- "Falcone Fight"
04. Northwestern, Big 10 -- "Go U Northwestern"
03. Texas, Big XII -- "Texas Fight"
02. Auburn, SEC -- "War Eagle"
01. Alabama, SEC-- "Yea Alabama" (1964 arrangement is better than the current one...the current one wouldn't have been first...)

Some of the Big 10 have really good fight songs. I personally don't care too much for Michigan's "fight" song (more of a victory march)...or, in the Pac-12, UCLA or USC....to be honest...

"Up with Montana" gets in ahead of Tech's "Up with the White and Gold" due to the lyrics. They are worth repeating here..

Up with Montana, boys,
Down with the foe,
Old Montana's out for a victory;
She'll shoot her backs around the foe-men's line;
A hot time is coming now, oh, brother mine.
Up with Montana, boys, down with the foe.
Good old Grizzly'll triumph today;
and the squeal of the pig will float on the air;
from the tummy of the Grizzly bear.

[but still...screw Montana. And Montana State.]
(edited 9 years ago)
Also, congratulations to the Stirling Clansmen. They absolutely dominated the Heartfordshire Hurricanes, in the university final. That is a well run program...
Original post by jammy4041
A funny stat...Peyton Manning's longest career rush (33 yard touchdown run back in 2001), is longer than Trent Richardson's longest run (a 32 yard touchdown run back in 2012)...I was looking at some of the draft notes from 2012, and well....how wrong does that look in hindsight? He was being compared to Adrian Peterson in the draft, and considered one of the future greats at the position.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/trent-richardson?id=2533032

However, I think there is hope for Trent Richardson, even if his chances are decreasing. I think he needs to slim down to about 215lbs, and get some of the explosion in his legs again. It puts him on the smaller size of being a running back, but he offers nothing at his current weight. His lack of vision is concerning, especially considering Alabama ran the ball pretty well, in a professional style offense.

While I hate the Raiders, offering just 600k guarenteed was a smart move. They get criticized for a lot of their recent FA deals, and rightly so, but there's a lot of no-risk attached. Shaub was released with minimal cap hit. Tuck could be cut for minimal hit, as could Donald Penn etc....

I think Alabama ran quite a lot of outside zone, which a lot of pro teams don't, and none of Trent's teams have. Lacy fell into a similar one cut system, and Ingram just proved to be more versatile since he seems like a more dynamic runner. I think slimming down is a good idea, since he was a pretty competent receiver in college. He was 230 at weigh ins for the Colts, so probably played heavier, and they wanted him at 227. I think 215-220 would probably make him more versatile. If he can play in a similar system he shouldn't need to stop-start so often, so he can afford to be heavier like Lacy is. But at this point he still needs to be realise his potential as a receiver.
Original post by SmashConcept
I think Alabama ran quite a lot of outside zone, which a lot of pro teams don't, and none of Trent's teams have. Lacy fell into a similar one cut system, and Ingram just proved to be more versatile since he seems like a more dynamic runner. I think slimming down is a good idea, since he was a pretty competent receiver in college. He was 230 at weigh ins for the Colts, so probably played heavier, and they wanted him at 227. I think 215-220 would probably make him more versatile. If he can play in a similar system he shouldn't need to stop-start so often, so he can afford to be heavier like Lacy is. But at this point he still needs to be realise his potential as a receiver.

You raise some excellent points...I still think he could be a three-down back and can contribute in all phases of the game, but he needs the right system, as you say, to excel. Slimming down would help him as well..
Watching a little film on Mariota. Not sure what to think. On one hand I think too much is being made of his offensive system. I think an intelligent OC will get a lot out of him by integrating college style and pro style like Shanahan did with RG3. On the other hand I think his accuracy IS a serious concern. My feeling now is the Jets should ship their pick to the highest bidder so that they have enough picks next year to potentially move up and get someone. I still don't think taking a pass rusher at 6 is a great idea long term.
Yay compensatory draft picks! Schneider and Carroll are big on this draft during the mid rounds (they only had 16 players graded as first rounders, they see this draft class as deep but not top quality).

And we just got 4 extra mid round picks... we now have a 2nd, a 3rd, two 4ths, two 5ths, four 6ths and a 7th...
Lol Jets file tampering charge. Joke franchise showing their true colours. Green with envy :wink:
So basically the Jets are admitting to the tampering charge? :rofl:

As a Dolphins fan I find it quite funny. Jets should get the book thrown at them but they wont cause Roger was a Jet.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Yay compensatory draft picks! Schneider and Carroll are big on this draft during the mid rounds (they only had 16 players graded as first rounders, they see this draft class as deep but not top quality).

And we just got 4 extra mid round picks... we now have a 2nd, a 3rd, two 4ths, two 5ths, four 6ths and a 7th...

I'm disappointed. The Broncos got their 4 compensatory picks, but a 4th, 6th and two 7ths was a joke. 10 overall picks is nice, but I hope the Broncos can trade out of the second as well, to pick up Henry Anderson. I would agree that it is a deep draft, but there's more quality in this draft than given credit for.
Original post by Malevolent
Lol Jets file tampering charge. Joke franchise showing their true colours. Green with envy :wink:

To be fair, it just sounds like two owners being very wistful that they let one of the better cornerbacks go. Nevermind, the Patriots will be better without Revis anyway.

Excellent corner...not the force that he was but still great....but with that contract...no thankyou.

[QUOTE="TheLittlestElf;54538627"]So basically the Jets are admitting to the tampering charge? :rofl:

As a Dolphins fan I find it quite funny. Jets should get the book thrown at them but they wont cause Roger was a Jet.[/QUOTE

No, Jets are not admitting to the tampering charge. They filed their own tampering charge against the Patriots.
Are there any details of who the Pats are supposed to have tampered with?

Still super confused about why Mariota is so inaccurate when his mechanics are so pretty. Any ideas Jammy? I think teams will have to be very diligent to make sure it's a problem they have a chance of fixing.

Also watched a bit of Scherff. That guy is a beast. From what I see of his feet he looks like a guard more than a tackle. Very quick, good puller and very aggressive with strong hands, but his pass set didn't look that special for a #1 rated OL.
No what elf means is that by saying by Patriots tampered they have basically agreed that the Jets themselves did the same thing as theirs was even more egregious at least I think it's what he means?
Original post by SmashConcept
Are there any details of who the Pats are supposed to have tampered with?

Still super confused about why Mariota is so inaccurate when his mechanics are so pretty. Any ideas Jammy? I think teams will have to be very diligent to make sure it's a problem they have a chance of fixing.

Also watched a bit of Scherff. That guy is a beast. From what I see of his feet he looks like a guard more than a tackle. Very quick, good puller and very aggressive with strong hands, but his pass set didn't look that special for a #1 rated OL.

With the Pats, it stems from Kraft saying something along the lines of, "as a fan, I would have wanted Revis back". Still a BS reason to file a tampering charge, but I wait in anticipation for the NFL to come down on the Dolphins and co. for getting details of the contracts in the "legal tampering" period. It's either a penalty for everyone, or for no-one. The Patriots have more of a case against the Jets, but I would still put Woody Johnson's comments coming from an owner who wants to put his nose into all sorts of the team's football business, really, and who was equally wistful that his GM got rid of his star player.

Regarding Mariota, his mechanics are very pretty. However, I just don't think the arm strength or the field awareness are there...at least, not yet. He has okay arm strength, but from the combine, he's putting a lot more of his lower body into the throw, a la Peyton Manning...especially compared to Jameis, who throws an excellent deep ball. That makes the throws look a bit forced.

He doesn't have much experience "under center" and well, hasn't had experience calling plays. That could be a reason he's struggled at the Combine and at his pro-day, as he wants to show NFL teams that he can do those things. It could be an issue for him moving forward, and the HUNH spread offense Oregon run could make it difficult to run a traditional offense, especially in the NFL.

I know he has a great TD-INT ratio, but whenever I've watched Oregon play, it's their defense, o-line, their receivers and TEs who stand out more than than Mariota. I fear Mariota is one of these QBs that will 'sense ghosts' in the pocket and try and bail at the first sign of trouble, in the mould of Jake Locker.

It's all correctable, but it will take time and patience. The Titans have more pressing needs. If he gets drafted by Cleveland, I hope he pulls an Elway and refuses to play for them, demanding to be traded to the Eagles. The Eagles would be the best place for him to land, as Sanchez is a known quantity, and should still be fine in the Chip Kelly system.
What are people's thoughts on the changing of the catch rule?

They still say under the new rule that dez didn't catch it but they've changed the wording to clarify anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
What are people's thoughts on the changing of the catch rule?

They still say under the new rule that dez didn't catch it but they've changed the wording to clarify anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a new rule, but the wording is more clear. To become a running back is a bit more obvious.
Also, if any of you have a spare two and a half hours or so, I'd recommend watching the FCS Championship Game. North Dakota State, going for their fourth in a row, and Illinois State, going for their first ever, sure put on a show. Great game to watch. Both teams are from the Missouri Valley Conference, which is the strongest conference in FCS Football.

Honestly, better than a lot of the BCS games I have watched. I dare say, North Dakota State would be able to hang in the Big 12. Maybe even the Big 10. They would definitely hang in the Mountain West conference though...

Spoiler

Original post by jammy4041
It's not a new rule, but the wording is more clear. To become a running back is a bit more obvious.

I meant new wording.

I don't see how it's any clearer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's somewhat clearer the way Blandino explained it, because it creates an internal consistency between this and an existing rule on receivers. The question officials now have to ask is, "would the receiver have been considered defenseless if he got hit in the head at that exact moment?" If the answer is yes, that player is not a runner and therefore had not fully completed the process of the catch at that moment. I think anyone watching the NFL regularly would absolutely, positively agree that Bryant would have been protected from head contact at the moment the ball came out, and therefore the new wording clearly clarifies that that drop in particular, was indeed a drop.

It's clearer because comparing it to another common rules situation makes a lot more sense and is a much more objective question than "was he making a move common to the game?"

If you think about it, it makes absolutely no sense that there would be a situation where a catch was considered 100% completely made, but the player was still considered defenseless and protected from head contact.

At first I was kind of annoyed because the cricket adjustment that we talked about in this thread is very clear and I thought they should have simply lifted it. But actually thinking about this I like this clarification better, because it mandates a consistency between two rules for the same situation. In fact I like the change a lot more at the end of this post than I did at the beginning. The first sentence shouldn't say "somewhat."
Anyone done any draft predictions lately? I'm struggling because there aren't that many top level talents beyond the top 10-15. It's difficult to know who to pick when you've got like 4 O-linemen who are all graded fairly similar. Same for cornerbacks. The other major question is where Mariota goes, as I think that dictates the rest of the draft really. I have him going to the Titans, currently.

Quick Reply

Latest