The Student Room Group

Internships for first year Oxford students?

I have an offer from Oxford to study PPE at Merton and I had a question about getting internships during time off-term.

Looking at the firms that I'm interested in working for after I graduate (mainly management consulting and investment banking), I can't seem to find anything about internships outside of the summer after the second year. That seems to be when all of them start allowing them. However, it's important to me to get as much experience as possible, as early as possible and I was wondering how often first and second year students are able to find internships during their time off term.

I'll be an overseas student if that's relevant, however it looks like there won't be any visa restrictions for internships when I'm on my student visa.

Does anybody have experience on this matter?
lol it's important to you... and every other student. Just ask around, maybe intern with a smaller firm, do a summer scheme. Take some initiative even if it isn't at the big four
Reply 2
Original post by x_Shruti_x
lol it's important to you... and every other student. Just ask around, maybe intern with a smaller firm, do a summer scheme. Take some initiative even if it isn't at the big four

I'm sure it's important to a lot of people. I don't live in the UK and I haven't had the opportunity to meet any Oxford students. I'm just asking around to see if it's common that people are able to find internships in their first years. When I have access to the careers service, and I actually arrive in the UK, I'll definitely be able to take a more proactive role in finding the internships that I want.
Hello fellow Redditor :-)
Original post by Akaboelela
I have an offer from Oxford to study PPE at Merton and I had a question about getting internships during time off-term.

Looking at the firms that I'm interested in working for after I graduate (mainly management consulting and investment banking), I can't seem to find anything about internships outside of the summer after the second year. That seems to be when all of them start allowing them. However, it's important to me to get as much experience as possible, as early as possible and I was wondering how often first and second year students are able to find internships during their time off term.

I'll be an overseas student if that's relevant, however it looks like there won't be any visa restrictions for internships when I'm on my student visa.

Does anybody have experience on this matter?

Oxford has an internship programme (http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/internship-office-and-work-experience/the-internship-programme/about-the-internship-programme/), although I'm not sure if you're likely to find ones related to your areas of interest.

Management consulting and investment banking aren't my areas of specialty, but have you checked out the TSR forums for them? Also, you might want to read the Oxford Careers Service's write-up here: http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/options-and-occupations/sectors-and-occupations/management-consultancy/ http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/options-and-occupations/sectors-and-occupations/banking-investment/ especially the getting experience bits.

Quick Reply

Latest