The Student Room Group

A-level advice?

Good-day everyone.

Having applied this year to two colleges, I was wondering what advice you could give on the following subjects; English (combined), Geography, Mathematics and Physics. Given that I have only recently improved my maths grade from a C+ to an A- I was also wondering if, providing that I can get an A, would it at all be advisable to take A-level further maths if I can not get into my preferred college (given that the entry standards are lower)?

Thank-you very much.
Reply 1
Original post by FalchionBetaMK
Good-day everyone.

Having applied this year to two colleges, I was wondering what advice you could give on the following subjects; English (combined), Geography, Mathematics and Physics. Given that I have only recently improved my maths grade from a C+ to an A- I was also wondering if, providing that I can get an A, would it at all be advisable to take A-level further maths if I can not get into my preferred college (given that the entry standards are lower)?

Thank-you very much.

What do you want to do at uni?
Further Maths isn't THAT hard and it's manageable for A student but it is more advisable for A* students. The questions themselves are not hard but the concepts are tricky to grasp so if you already struggle with that you should be careful
But everything is possible with hard work

Edit:
I just remembered at my school even normal maths require A or A* and B students have to talk to head of maths and it is not a selective school
Unless you're willing to work hard and you enjoy maths a lot I would advise against it
However A levels are supposed to be harder anyway so if you feel you can or like maths enough that you will be able to work hard I don't see why not especially if your uni course is highly mathematical
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
What do you want to do at uni?
Further Maths isn't THAT hard and it's manageable for A student but it is more advisable for A* students. The questions themselves are not hard but the concepts are tricky to grasp so if you already struggle with that you should be careful
But everything is possible with hard work

Edit:
I just remembered at my school even normal maths require A or A* and B students have to talk to head of maths and it is not a selective school
Unless you're willing to work hard and you enjoy maths a lot I would advise against it
However A levels are supposed to be harder anyway so if you feel you can or like maths enough that you will be able to work hard I don't see why not especially if your uni course is highly mathematical
Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst I do not have a solid idea for what I would like to do at university, I was thinking of perhaps an engineering/physics-based degree. The better of the places I have applied to has given me a conditional offer of an A in maths and science (though of course I would not be doing further maths there). I revise multiple hours per day and a strong A shouldn't be too difficult to achieve, especially since I enjoy the subject, an A* may also be in reach though I wouldn't hold my breath.

With that said should I proceed in doing further maths at the lesser of the two colleges (entry requirement is only an A) if I am not able to get into my preferred college? (double award science is holding me back for the time being). Thankyou very much for your response by the way, and I hope you have a good day.
Reply 3
Whilst I do not have a solid idea for what I would like to do at university, I was thinking of perhaps an engineering/physics-based degree. The better of the places I have applied to has given me a conditional offer of an A in maths and science (though of course I would not be doing further maths there). I revise multiple hours per day and a strong A shouldn't be too difficult to achieve, especially since I enjoy the subject, an A* may also be in reach though I wouldn't hold my breath.

With that said should I proceed in doing further maths at the lesser of the two colleges (entry requirement is only an A) if I am not able to get into my preferred college? (double award science is holding me back for the time being). Thankyou very much for your response by the way, and I hope you have a good day.

Having Further Maths is very advantageous for physics and engineering so I would recommend it granted you enjoy maths.
Why won't you do FM at the better college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Having Further Maths is very advantageous for physics and engineering so I would recommend it granted you enjoy maths.
Why won't you do FM at the better college?
Posted from TSR Mobile

The better college barely advertises the subject which is only available at AS providing you have achieved an A*, when I went to an interview there, I was told that 4 subjects was already more than enough (given that I am in band 4 as opposed to band 5, which is the highest classification of students in our year) so I would imagine that further maths there is out of the question. On the other hand at the lesser college the entry standard is an A and it is available as a complete A-level, so it would seem more fulfilling at least to me.
Reply 5
The better college barely advertises the subject which is only available at AS providing you have achieved an A*, when I went to an interview there, I was told that 4 subjects was already more than enough (given that I am in band 4 as opposed to band 5, which is the highest classification of students in our year) so I would imagine that further maths there is out of the question. On the other hand at the lesser college the entry standard is an A and it is available as a complete A-level, so it would seem more fulfilling at least to me.

Yeah I'd prioritise subject choice over other things unless there is a big difference in the quality of teaching between the two colleges
Couldn't you do FM as fourth subject though? Do they only allow it as a fifth?
Original post by C0balt
Yeah I'd prioritise subject choice over other things unless there is a big difference in the quality of teaching between the two colleges
Couldn't you do FM as fourth subject though? Do they only allow it as a fifth?

I suppose in the lesser college as there you do A level maths one year and can do further maths the next (you get a choice to do it at AS or A-level).
Reply 7
I suppose in the lesser college as there you do A level maths one year and can do further maths the next (you get a choice to do it at AS or A-level).

Ah okay that makes sense. And tbh i think maths in y12 and FM in y13 way is better rather than both AS in y12 so it's good
If I were you i would go for lesser college to do that assuming it is still decent school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Ah okay that makes sense. And tbh i think maths in y12 and FM in y13 way is better rather than both AS in y12 so it's good
If I were you i would go for lesser college to do that assuming it is still decent school

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, I will take it should I go to the lesser college, thankyou so much!
Reply 9
Okay, I will take it should I go to the lesser college, thankyou so much!

Np :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest