The Student Room Group

UCL vs Bath vs Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LutherVan
Where did you get your information that UCL is one of the best and better than Warwick for Maths?

Well I was wrong about UCL being better than Warwick at Mathematics but UCL is still good. UCL seems to have moved up the ranks for reputation in Mathematics recently; The Guardian ranks UCL quite high for Mathematics and UCL Mathematics is extremely competitive so must be one of the best in the country;
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/prospective-students/undergraduates
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-mathematics
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-mathematics

By the way, I was wrong about the age gap between UCL and Durham; UCL was established in 1826 while Durham was established in 1832.
Original post by Raymat
Well I was wrong about UCL being better than Warwick at Mathematics but UCL is still good. UCL seems to have moved up the ranks for reputation in Mathematics recently; The Guardian ranks UCL quite high for Mathematics and UCL Mathematics is extremely competitive so must be one of the best in the country;
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-mathematics
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-mathematics

By the way, I was wrong about the age gap between UCL and Durham; UCL was established in 1826 while Durham was established in 1832.

So, you're just wrong in general then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
So, you're just wrong in general then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't wrong about UCL's reputation for Maths.
Original post by Raymat

UCL Maths being extremely competitive does not necessarily mean it is one of the best in the country. That is a weak logical conclusion.

You need to learn to check your facts before making assertions (especially assertions using "must"). You are giving advice to people making important decisions that can affect their future career-wise, lifestyle and happiness. And so far, on TSR, your advice has been appalling and frequently unsubstantiated.

Learn to check your facts before contributing. The evidence points to the fact that you rarely do. You just state hearsays you have heard with aplomb.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
UCL Maths being extremely competitive does not necessarily mean it is one of the best in the country. That is a weak logical conclusion.

You need to learn to check your facts before making assertions (especially assertions using "must"). You are giving advice to people making important decisions that can affect their future career-wise, lifestyle and happiness. And so far, on TSR, your advice has been appalling and frequently unsubstantiated.

Learn to check your facts before contributing. The evidence points to the fact that you rarely do. You just state hearsays you have heard with aplomb.

Thanks man, I loved what you said.
I still do think warwick is better than bath then UCL academically. I just thought that Warwick might be too intense for me unless i'm doing a PHD in Maths?
What's your opinions on Bath?
Cheers man :ahee:
Original post by wkit11
Thanks man, I loved what you said.
I still do think warwick is better than bath then UCL academically. I just thought that Warwick might be too intense for me unless i'm doing a PHD in Maths?
What's your opinions on Bath?
Cheers man :ahee:

Bath is a top university, but there is no real advantage picking it over UCL.

Its Maths department is not better than UCL's and its overall reputation is nowhere near UCL's.

Warwicks overall reputation is below UCL's but its Maths department is one of the outstanding 4 in the UK.

You have to consider UCL's reputation as the undisputed 5th best university in the UK vs Warwick's reputation for Maths to make a choice. Really depends on what you want the degree/university to do for you.
Reply 26
Bath is a top university, but there is no real advantage picking it over UCL.

Its Maths department is not better than UCL's and its overall reputation is nowhere near UCL's.

Warwicks overall reputation is below UCL's but its Maths department is one of the outstanding 4 in the UK.

You have to consider UCL's reputation as the undisputed 5th best university in the UK vs Warwick's reputation for Maths to make a choice. Really depends on what you want the degree/university to do for you.

Cheers man, I appreciate your time, probably going to firm UCL and pick Bath as my insurance. I had a look at the maths course in Warwick, it looks bit too intense Can't wait for Uni :mmm:
(If I don't mess up my exams/STEP paper :tongue:)
Original post by wkit11
Cheers man, I appreciate your time, probably going to firm UCL and pick Bath as my insurance. I had a look at the maths course in Warwick, it looks bit too intense Can't wait for Uni :mmm:
(If I don't mess up my exams/STEP paper :tongue:)

No worries, mate.

Hope you enjoy your time at UCL.
Where did you get your information that UCL is one of the best and better than Warwick for Maths?

Prob from UCL's website!
Go for either UCL or Warwick! They're both such strong universities!

The maths course is much more intense at Warwick, however, if you're good at Maths, then you'll get the best degree anywhere.

In terms of academia, Warwick is stronger. In terms of worldwide rep, UCL- being in London, is obviously stronger.

UCL and Warwick are both so very highly reputable in the UK. I think you should take advice from only students from top end unis, not from anyone else because they can give you the best advice. You can't miss an offer like that from Warwick for mathematically related subjects!

I'm doing Maths at Imperial, Warwick was my back up even though the offer was the same hehe, just to let you know, so I'd choose Warwick. However, if I was doing something like Law or Sociology, I'd choose UCL as they are much better for the arts degrees.

To be quite frank, they're both amazing, so what ever you decide to choose, you've got MONEEEYYYY XD

good luck x
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, in this case definitely Maths with Econ at UCL.
Warwick or UCL over Bath. COWI is so hard to get into btw, so well done. Talk to students from Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Durham and LSE. Ask them for their opinion on where to go, as people who have gone to those unis have probably been in the same situation as you in terms of what to firm and insure. I don't think you should listen to anybody else as they will just follow random nonsense. And also talk to leading academics and CEOs/ highly ranked people of leading firms, such as Credit Suisse, PwC, etc, (ask your school to somehow get you into contact). Or just check out the linkedin rankings, they're based on who basically run the best jobs in the UK, and where they are from.

Well done mate for getting into such institutions, that is great!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Thank you guys for your effort, I really appreciate it. I firmed Bath not long ago because I can see myself studying there for four years. I just feel a lot more comfortable there :tongue:
Original post by wkit11
Thank you guys for your effort, I really appreciate it. I firmed Bath not long ago because I can see myself studying there for four years. I just feel a lot more comfortable there :tongue:

That's great! Good luck! I mean, it is your life, so you must be content at either! Btw, how are you finding STEP? I'm doing STEP 1 too, it's actually quite fun ������
Original post by ShafTJB
Warwick or UCL over Bath. COWI is so hard to get into btw, so well done. Talk to students from Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Durham and LSE. Ask them for their opinion on where to go, as people who have gone to those unis have probably been in the same situation as you in terms of what to firm and insure. I don't think you should listen to anybody else as they will just follow random nonsense. And also talk to leading academics and CEOs/ highly ranked people of leading firms, such as Credit Suisse, PwC, etc, (ask your school to somehow get you into contact). Or just check out the linkedin rankings, they're based on who basically run the best jobs in the UK, and where they are from.

Well done mate for getting into such institutions, that is great!

I loled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by ShafTJB
That's great! Good luck! I mean, it is your life, so you must be content at either! Btw, how are you finding STEP? I'm doing STEP 1 too, it's actually quite fun ������

Thank man. Step 1 really is a lot more fun th an Alevel Maths. I think STEP 1 is getting more challenging over the years. I could do about 6 questions for STEP 1 in 2003. But only 3 for last year's one??...:no:
Original post by wkit11
Thank man. Step 1 really is a lot more fun th an Alevel Maths. I think STEP 1 is getting more challenging over the years. I could do about 6 questions for STEP 1 in 2003. But only 3 for last year's one??...:no:

I totally agree. I love the marking system though, it's so great, they actually mark you for trying your best which is fantastic. The main problem I have the STEP 1 is just summation laws, which are just endlessly annoying, other than that, it's great! Aha, are you doing AEA?

Quick Reply

Latest