The Student Room Group

Can I go to uni if I have A levels and enough ucas points but no GSCEs?

We moved here from Hungary not long ago, a college offered a place so I am doing my A2 courses but I haven't done gcse. Is there a chance that I can go to any uni?
Original post by buci98
We moved here from Hungary not long ago, a college offered a place so I am doing my A2 courses but I haven't done gcse. Is there a chance that I can go to any uni?

normally the answer is no but as you have come here from abroad it might be different so contact the unis directly explain your circumstances and ask then
Technically no, but as you have come from abroad it'll be a slightly different case. Do you have any proof of achievement from Hungary? It may be accepted in lieu of GCSEs (but it's best to contact a few universities)
They will usually waive the GCSE requirements for people who have moved to the UK post GCSEs. Make sure your referee mentions your nice to the UK in your reference.

However, if you are applying for very competitive courses, it may be worth emailing the uni in advance of applying just to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for your answers😉
Do you have a Hungarian equivalent of GCSEs?
Reply 6
Original post by Crumpet1
Do you have a Hungarian equivalent of GCSEs?

No cause there the exams are at the end of yr 12 and I was in yr 11 there. And those exams are equivalent to a levels.
Original post by buci98

My message has been deleted due to the fact that it was in Hungarian. Did you see it though?
Reply 8
Original post by imadreamchaser
My message has been deleted due to the fact that it was in Hungarian. Did you see it though?

Yeah I did and I answered too but it was also deleted😜 thank you for ypur help Hungarian mate :smile: how old are you?
Original post by Origami Bullets
They will usually waive the GCSE requirements for people who have moved to the UK post GCSEs. Make sure your referee mentions your nice to the UK in your reference.

However, if you are applying for very competitive courses, it may be worth emailing the uni in advance of applying just to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does this work? How long do you have to stay in the other country? What constitutes a move? I mean can you just get a ferry from the UK to France and come straight back?
Glad, hope it helped. I'm 20 applied to uni last year too, but decided to take a gap year out and just work, so I know how uni's think about my/our situation.
Original post by morgan8002
How does this work? How long do you have to stay in the other country? What constitutes a move? I mean can you just get a ferry from the UK to France and come straight back?

It's something that would only apply if you had been educated abroad during the time when you would normally expect to be studying for your GCSEs. However, if you would expect to take local exams during that time then the uni would expect to see those instead.

Going on a family holiday to France doesn't count as living abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's something that would only apply if you had been educated abroad during the time when you would normally expect to be studying for your GCSEs. However, if you would expect to take local exams during that time then the uni would expect to see those instead.

Going on a family holiday to France doesn't count as living abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That isn't fair on people educated in the UK. I thought I might have found a way of getting into university for only the cost of a ticket to France and back, considerably less than exam costs could be. Thanks anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending