The Student Room Group

"Strong", "independent" feminist women terrorised by clapping! Really!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Viva Emptiness
"I don't know what the **** I'm doing"

The answer to life is found.
Yep! Some people don't like clapping hands (previous abuse or other situations) and at conferences we need to be especially considerate of everyone :smile: Jazz hands rock!
"I don't know what the **** I'm doing"

It's Hyperbole and a Half! :biggrin:
This just goes to reinforce that the NUS are a bunch of ****wits.
Original post by idontevenbeth
It's Hyperbole and a Half! :biggrin:

I...I know?
I...I know?

I'm just saying in appreciation :smile: Good to find a new Allie fan :tongue:
OP did you actually read the article? It has nothing to do with feminism, it has to do with being mindful of people who have anxiety disorders.

Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily saying that their approach to this was the correct one but that's an entirely different topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Yep! Some people don't like clapping hands (previous abuse or other situations) and at conferences we need to be especially considerate of everyone :smile: Jazz hands rock!

I hope that's sarcasm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Women are generally anxious when they move out of their natural habitat. The kitchen.
Original post by KingTiger
Women are generally anxious when they move out of their natural habitat. The kitchen.

Haha good one! You get the original joke award well done :smile:
Original post by miscounted_time
OP did you actually read the article? It has nothing to do with feminism, it has to do with being mindful of people who have anxiety disorders.

Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily saying that their approach to this was the correct one but that's an entirely different topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it has nothing do with feminism, why is it called the "feminist jazz hands"?
Original post by DiddyDec
If it has nothing do with feminism, why is it called the "feminist jazz hands"?

I hope you aren't serious because coming from you that would be disappointing, you often come across as a voice of reason.

In answer to your question however it was a conference to do with feminism so I would assume it was in the spirit of things or maybe they do have their very own specific version of jazz hands, who knows. What is clear however is that asking people to refrain from clapping was not due to feminism itself but asking people to be mindful of people who may safer from anxiety disorders.
The same thing could have been asked at any sort of meeting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miscounted_time
I hope you aren't serious because coming from you that would be disappointing, you often come across as a voice of reason.

In answer to your question however it was a conference to do with feminism so I would assume it was in the spirit of things or maybe they do have their very own specific version of jazz hands, who knows. What is clear however is that asking people to refrain from clapping was not due to feminism itself but asking people to be mindful of people who may safer from anxiety disorders.
The same thing could have been asked at any sort of meeting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So by your own reasoning it does have something to do with feminism. It may not be the reason they asked for refraining from clapping but it is still related even if it is a little tenuously to feminism.
As ridiculous as the NUS is being, your eagerness to jump on this as an opportunity to keep bashing women is pathetic.
[video="youtube;z3MY3016FAk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3MY3016FAk[/video]

I want to believe this is satire, but I've spent too much time on social media to make that sort of assumption
Original post by Zargabaath
I want to believe this is satire, but I've spent too much time on social media to make that sort of assumption

No no I'm being serious. At conferences it's important everyone is included, and when one in three women (and one in ten men, don't know statistics for those who don't align themselves with the gender binary) have been affected by sexual assault, many are abused too, it's important everyone has a good time at these conferences :smile:
No no I'm being serious. At conferences it's important everyone is included, and when one in three women (and one in ten men, don't know statistics for those who don't align themselves with the gender binary) have been affected by sexual assault, many are abused too, it's important everyone has a good time at these conferences :smile:

So we should just ban all loud noises in case someone can't handle it?
Original post by DiddyDec
So we should just ban all loud noises in case someone can't handle it?

It's in a conference where a lot of people who may have been abused or senseitive to loud noises might be there. Like how you wouldn't tell a sexist joke as the majority of the audience will probably be women, it's just sensible to respect a possible majority of the audience.
Also, it's nice for people to respect others! I have a fear of water dripping on my face, it wouldn't be very nice for someone to throw liquid over my head.
Respect is nice! :smile:

Surely the priority should be helping these people overcome their anxiety and get used to things like clapping rather than just hiding from the problem. They're going to be exposed to stuff like that in the 'real' world anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest