The Student Room Group

I'm a British Pakistani, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omar.Q
Alright alright wasn't that good , I've gone rusty damn it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe my Urdu is better than my English cos I'm confused.
Original post by PPF
You have genuinely put me in a state of shock.
I thought we were an extinct specie.
Salute aap ko aur ammi abu ko salaam. :smile::smile:

Lol haha. Well, we are Pakistanis too. Are you a Bristish Pakistani?

Haha muje kam, mere ammi abu ko zayada! Unki badulat mujhe apni maadri zubaan ati hai. Alhumdullilah.
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Maybe my Urdu is better than my English cos I'm confused.

English is a fairly easy language tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 263
Lol haha. Well, we are Pakistanis too. Are you a Bristish Pakistani?

Haha muje kam, mere ammi abu ko zayada! Unki badulat mujhe apni maadri zubaan ati hai. Alhumdullilah.

Yes, full-fledged British-Pakistani. If you spoke to me you wouldn't even think that I can speak urdu let alone have such a strong interest in urdu shayari. Its a hidden secret of mine lol.
Original post by PPF
Yes, full-fledged British-Pakistani. If you spoke to me you wouldn't even think that I can speak urdu let alone have such a strong interest in urdu shayari. Its a hidden secret of mine lol.

Oh. Why is that? And how did you learn Urdu then?
Reply 265
Oh. Why is that? And how did you learn Urdu then?

My parents speak good urdu, they migrated here in the 1980's-1990's so I always understood and spoke the basics. Later on in life I wanted to understand Iqbals work and to an extent I wanted to read the works of Maududi (which are quite controversial apparently). I also had a growing interest in general urdu shayari so thought to take the time out to learn it. Given my strong british accent uncle and aunty ji's find it hard to believe that i listen to salamat ali khan, mehdi hassan and many other greats lol.
Original post by PPF
My parents speak good urdu, they migrated here in the 1980's-1990's so I always understood and spoke the basics. Later on in life I wanted to understand Iqbals work and to an extent I wanted to read the works of Maududi (which are quite controversial apparently). I also had a growing interest in general urdu shayari so thought to take the time out to learn it. Given my strong british accent uncle and aunty ji's find it hard to believe that i listen to salamat ali khan, mehdi hassan and many other greats lol.

Okay brother now I'm shocked. You as a British Pakistani had a interest in all that stuff. And Mehdi Hassan, wow. Like you know the classics. Good work, brother.
Reply 267
Okay brother now I'm shocked. You as a British Pakistani had a interest in all that stuff. And Mehdi Hassan, wow. Like you know the classics. Good work, brother.

Lol. Yeah. Uske uppar main sirf bees saal ka hoon.
Original post by PPF
Lol. Yeah. Uske uppar main sirf bees saal ka hoon.

Bhai, yeh tou achi baat hai. Apni zubaan tou sabko aani chahiye.
Bhai, yeh tou achi baat hai. Apni zubaan tou sabko aani chahiye.

Laikin mera zubaan engraizi tau hai?
Original post by cake_lover
Hello, where from Pakistan are you? :smile:

Karachi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow that's amazing. Achi baat hai. I actually know very few British Pakistanis who can write Urdu. But you're lucky in that sense then haha. :tongue:

Yeah you are right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feels good to see people talk in your language
Original post by PPF

Hey I also like urdu shayari. It is very deep :smile:
Well, I don't think its too hard for us Pakistanis since we already are familiar with Arabic letters. But writing in Punjabi in Urdu can be difficult. I know it cos my mum really worked hard on me.

And brother good luck with Hindi and Sikh Punjabi! That is hard!

How should i go about learning it? Do you think there will be classes available for it?

I want to visit India one day so as I can already speak the language essentially, I'd love to be able to read it as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by binarythoughts
Feels good to see people talk in your language

I speak Urdu very well, I just struggle to write it even using the English alphabet, so annoying :frown:
I speak Urdu very well, I just struggle to write it even using the English alphabet, so annoying :frown:

I studied it for a year at school so I can write it
Writing Gujrati and Hindi on the other hand is ridiculously difficult

Just pronounce the word and try to write it using English alphabet that might help you
Reply 278
Original post by Fallen99
Hey I also like urdu shayari. It is very deep :smile:

:smile::smile:
Original post by PPF
Lol.

I have tried very hard - implicitly referring to learning how to cook
But I have always failed.
I have now become accustomed to eating cereal (because I haven't been able to learn how to cook)
I miss those fresh rotis - rotis, ofcourse, are pakistani bread or chappatis etc.

I am British Pakistani as well- that was my attempt to translate using my very limited urdu!

Quick Reply

Latest