The Student Room Group

How to become a wealthy Investment Banker?

Hello everyone,

I'm 17 years old studying Economics, Maths and German for my A-levels, getting straight A's in my tests and I've always wanted to be an Investment Banker.
I've have been watching the stock markets and looking how other top bankers made their millions to live the luxury life. I've heard it's hard to get into the Investment Banking field and not many people can become a millionaire.
My dad is a banker for HSBC and he's been telling me where he went wrong so I don't have to do the same mistakes. He told me about getting an MBA and to keep pushing myself and work hard.

Any other advice would be great,
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inflintude
Hello everyone,

I'm 17 years old studying Economics, Maths and German for my A-levels, getting straight A's in my tests and I've always wanted to be an Investment Banker.
I've have been watching the stock markets and looking how other top bankers made their millions to live the luxury life. I've heard it's hard to get into the Investment Banking field and not many people can become a millionaire.
My dad is a banker for HSBC and he's been telling me where he went wrong so I don't have to do the same mistakes. He told me about getting an MBA and to keep pushing myself and work hard.

Thanks.

You don't need a degree though it may help. An apprenticeship for a wealthy and powerful company would do the trick. Check it out.
Reply 2
Original post by James Milibanter
You don't need a degree though it may help. An apprenticeship for a wealthy and powerful company would do the trick. Check it out.

Thanks for that, I will compare the two and see what's best for me.
Thanks for that, I will compare the two and see what's best for me.

It really is a great path. You get qualified, paid and at least a few years work experience. If the company's big enough they'll often keep you on once you've finished the apprenticeship as well.
Reply 4
Nepotism
Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Give me tree fiddy
I get you the monies
?????????
Profit

Legit answer:

Work hard and get into a top uni - preferably Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick or UCL failing that other top unis like Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath etc. will suffice.

Before uni, try to use your dad's contacts to secure an informal work experience placement within a bank, apply to year 12 open days/insight days.
Try your best to get involved in the local community, find a hobby or sport and pursuit further. Once you're at uni, look into spring weeks and summer internships. Continue developing yourself out with academics (but maintain a strong academic profile).

Most places will directly promote you to associate+ roles but if you so wish, you can pursue an MBA - even better if you are looking into other career paths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello everyone,

Thanks.

I'd personally go to university if I were you as the degree you achieve will give you something to fall back and opens more options to you in case you discover investment banking is not for you. Mathematical or science degrees tend to be preferred by Investment Banks however I know that Citi Group now accepts applicants from any degree background.

Don;t just watch stock markets, there are many other markets such as the bond markets that involve investment bankers and read the news to be on top of current affairs everyday from media such as the Financial Times and City AM - employers love this and emphasize this factor on their websites.
Study preferably maths/econ/sci at Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL. (Further maths would defo help). Finish degree with high 2:1 or 1st. (for the top banks, a 1st really). Get internship and obtain a role/position.
Original post by iPixelBlue
Study preferably maths/econ/sci at Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL. (Further maths would defo help). Finish degree with high 2:1 or 1st. (for the top banks, a 1st really). Get internship and obtain a role/position.

You don't need to do maths or any degree subject in particular. I know people who studied music and are bankers - you have to be numerate but not necessarily quanty.

A child could perform most of the work (excluding quants) bankers/traders do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Start learning some of the necessary skills early and setting yourself apart from others e.g. showing leadership skills by organizing some large event, doing loads of work exp to even gain some connections and such.

I'm also considering to become an investment banker (maybe) so I've pretty much bought loads of books on personal finance, and beginner's guide on investing as my first step and also to satisfy my interest :colondollar:
Sell your soul to the devil and/or become a psychopath.
Original post by Princepieman
You don't need to do maths or any degree subject in particular. I know people who studied music and are bankers - you have to be numerate but not necessarily quanty.

A child could perform most of the work (excluding quants) bankers/traders do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

true, i agree eg. a geography degree would be sufficient for trading etc. But if you want to go to a TOP bank then you should maximise your chances. Those subjects give you a better chance (assuming you get a 1st or high 2:1 from those unis i mentioned), everything else held constant.

Non-elite banks would be more okay with an arts degree from Nottingham/Southampton etc.
true, i agree eg. a geography degree would be sufficient for trading etc. But if you want to go to a TOP bank then you should maximise your chances. Those subjects give you a better chance (assuming you get a 1st or high 2:1 from those unis i mentioned), everything else held constant.

Non-elite banks would be more okay with an arts degree from Nottingham/Southampton etc.

Again, Nottingham doesn't really belong in the other pile.. They get quite a few people into banking (ranked above Bath, Bristol and KCL on the LinkedIn placement rankings). Just felt like ranting lol.

When you say 'TOP' bank who are you referring to? The person I know has a Music degree from Leeds and is at Morgan Stanley (a top 2 bank alongside Goldman). So, no, taking maths/science won't drasticly mprove your chances I'm afraid.

You need to understand that they don't care about your degree choice (as long as its reasonably academic), they care about what you have to offer and how you will add value to the company.
Reply 13
Give me tree fiddy
I get you the monies
?????????
Profit

You dat gawd damn loch ness monster?

hqdefault.jpg
Reply 14
Give me tree fiddy
I get you the monies
?????????
Profit

Legit answer:

Work hard and get into a top uni - preferably Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick or UCL failing that other top unis like Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath etc. will suffice.

Before uni, try to use your dad's contacts to secure an informal work experience placement within a bank, apply to year 12 open days/insight days.
Try your best to get involved in the local community, find a hobby or sport and pursuit further. Once you're at uni, look into spring weeks and summer internships. Continue developing yourself out with academics (but maintain a strong academic profile).

Most places will directly promote you to associate+ roles but if you so wish, you can pursue an MBA - even better if you are looking into other career paths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to go to the LSE because it's the closest uni to me and I've heard it's a breeding home for bankers. I do lots of activities, like the Duke of Edinburgh award, I play for my school Football, Rugby and Cricket team, I do speech and drama (not quite sure if that will help) and I know quite a few of my dad's colleagues.
Thanks for the reply.
Give me tree fiddy
I get you the monies
?????????
Profit

Legit answer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. But you forgot IMPERIAL :P They are like in the top of the top in UK. (felt like saying that because im going there next yr ;P) But no, Imperial defo deserves to be on that list alongside Oxbridge no doubt
Basically the target unis (that you should be worrying about) are: Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and possibly Warwick (well only their maths and econ dept are outstanding)
Reply 17

You don't need a high 2:1/1st if you're Oxbridge/LSE etc, just a 2:1.

What you generally find at 'top banks' is the majority of Oxbridge/LSE etc. graduates have a 2:1, while a much higher proportion of graduates from other universities have a first.
Why has no one actually told OP you have a better chance becoming wealthy by becoming an entrepreneur than in investment banking?
Reply 19
Basically the target unis (that you should be worrying about) are: Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and possibly Warwick (well only their maths and econ dept are outstanding)

After Oxbridge & LSE, Warwick gets most numbers into banking year on year (on par with UCL). Imperial gets lowest numbers in, but this is likely due to to less people from Imperial being interested in banking in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending