The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ibac
You need the MAT, don't you?
Good luck! I'm really anxious

Thank you, but I'm not really worried about it. The interview is what I'm terrified about.

Good luck to you to for the TSA! That looks a lot more difficult than the MAT.
Tomorrow is the penultimate day of the Yorkshire schools tour.
A picture tells a thousand words (or so they say) - judge for yourself @

https://twitter.com/bncjcr

If Joe, Sidd & Hugh's visits left you with any follow-up questions, let us know.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ibac
I'm an italian student so it's pretty hard even for me! The problem is that everyone who is applying is as good as you (or better!)
I'm going for Ucl,Kings and Warwick
For the last one I have to choose between Lse and Durham
And you?

I'm Swedish, so I get what you mean :smile: The required grades are crazy once you think about it! Don't know if I my grades are going to be good enough... To me, Oxford and LSE are a given. However, I have not decided on which other ones to apply to.

Original post by PatBunker
Thanks very much - I'm actually going to a politics and economics taster day at LMH tomorrow so should have a chance to look around Oxford.. Is anyone else going?

Oooh, how was it?? :smile: I really wanted to go, but unfortunately I couldn't :frown:

Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Yes, this means that you'd have to study the minimum amount of courses that will allow you to graduate with 2500 points. As PPE doesn't have particular subject requirements, then you don't need to worry too much about which courses you achieve As and Bs in. Maths would be useful (particularly for the Economics element of the course), but is not an official requirement for the course.

I will probably end up with about 2700 points, as I am taking extra courses. I find it very hard to know if I will have a competitive application, because I don't know which subjects that are more important than other. I somewhere found that an average grade of 19.5 (20 being the maximum) , would be considered equivalent of A*AA or AAA. Do you know if that is somewhat accurate? I have myself concluded that I will most likely end up with about 19 A's, 3 B's, and 2 C's, not counting the grades from extra courses, or the Diploma Project (which is a pass or fail course). The grade scale goes from A-F, E being the lowest passing grade. My 2 C's are in Physical Education and Swedish 1. Do I even stand a chance of getting in?
Reply 363
Original post by Bearbert
Thank you, but I'm not really worried about it. The interview is what I'm terrified about.

Good luck to you to for the TSA! That looks a lot more difficult than the MAT.

Yes, you're right! I'm sad because I know that if I do not take a high mark I won't have any interviews and It would really suck
Reply 364
Original post by Oakflame
I'm Swedish, so I get what you mean :smile: The required grades are crazy once you think about it! Don't know if I my grades are going to be good enough... To me, Oxford and LSE are a given. However, I have not decided on which other ones to apply to.

I'm not worried about grades but more for TSA and interviews!
I know that LSE is great but I'm already going to apply for Oxford and I don't want to finish with 0 offers!
Original post by Ibac

I'm not worried about grades but more for TSA and interviews!
I know that LSE is great but I'm already going to apply for Oxford and I don't want to finish with 0 offers!

I haven't gotten as far as worrying about TSA and interviews :P Still contemplating whether I have a chance of being considered for an interview, and if there is a point in applying based on that. There is no doubt I want to go, but I have to consider if it's realistic and if it is possible financially.
IGCSEs: 10 A*s
AS LEVELS: Predicted 4 As in Chinese, French, English Literature and History
Course: Oriental Studies (chinese)
College: Queen's or Pembroke

Still can't decide on chinese at oxford or cambridge, at the moment leaning towards oxford really, any advice?
(edited 9 years ago)
I haven't gotten as far as worrying about TSA and interviews :P Still contemplating whether I have a chance of being considered for an interview, and if there is a point in applying based on that. There is no doubt I want to go, but I have to consider if it's realistic and if it is possible financially.

I thought everybody takes the TSA and the university doesn't choose before that, no? And if you did really well there, it's likely you will be considered I think.
I thought everybody takes the TSA and the university doesn't choose before that, no? And if you did really well there, it's likely you will be considered I think.

I'm not entirely sure how it is, if everyone does the TSA or only those chosen for interviews. Hopefully I will have the chance to prove myself through the TSA as well, and not only my grades :smile:
I'm not entirely sure how it is, if everyone does the TSA or only those chosen for interviews. Hopefully I will have the chance to prove myself through the TSA as well, and not only my grades :smile:

At least in maths they choose the people to interview with the MAT, so I guess it's the same.
Reply 370

Everybody takes the TSA! If you pass it with minimum 61 you'll probably get an interview!
At least in maths they choose the people to interview with the MAT, so I guess it's the same.

Hopefully! I think doing the TSA really would improve my chance of getting an offer :smile:
Original post by Ibac
Everybody takes the TSA! If you pass it with minimum 61 you'll probably get an interview!

Yeesss :biggrin: What is the maximum though?
Reply 373
Yeesss :biggrin: What is the maximum though?

100!

Oooh, how was it?? :smile: I really wanted to go, but unfortunately I couldn't :frown:

Was really good actually thanks, they gave really helpful advice about admissions and we got to meet some tutors and students

Everyone who applies sits the TSA. Those invited to interview are picked based off TSA scores (and grades, personal statement etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibac
100!

It doesn't sound too bad with a min. of 60 points then! Actually sounds pretty damn good :biggrin: It's going to be difficult, but it doesn't seem impossible :smile:

Original post by PatBunker
Was really good actually thanks, they gave really helpful advice about admissions and we got to meet some tutors and students

It sounds amazing! Did they say anything about the TSA?

Original post by aasvogel
Everyone who applies sits the TSA. Those invited to interview are picked based off TSA scores (and grades, personal statement etc).
Posted from TSR Mobile

Woohoo :biggrin: Sounds great!

It sounds amazing! Did they say anything about the TSA?

Yeah, just to do past papers as preparation really
Original post by personage
Interesting Correlation between number of fIRST CLASS degrees and college wealth --is that because good food and accomodation makes for more productive students. Or is it that he wealthier colleges are more popular with applicants, so they can cherry pick candidates?
Any thoughts anyone?

There is actually comparatively little difference in the degree results across the colleges and from year to year the rankings can also change a lot, as a result of minor variations in the number of first-class performances, even though the colleges themselves remain fundamentally the same. Essentially these tables are a listing of institutions that all offer attractive academic and social facilities. Some subjects tend to have proportionately a higher or lower proportion of firsts and so over time, when averaged, a college's results may exhibit some compositional bias.
Original post by personage
Hi there! Thanks for that, that makes sense. SO it sounds like it's not worth getting hung up on academic rankings within Oxford colleges.
For reallocations BEFORE interview, how is that done? For large intakes, like for example PPE, History and English...is it the individual Admissions Officers who reallocate applicants, or the central department? For example if you applied to Worcester for History, and there were 70 other applicants...obviously they can only handle 30 or so for interview. So would Worcester History dons pick out favourites to hang on to, or would a centralised place divvy up the applicants. Are reallocated students strong or weak? Thank you!

Relocation is done randomly

Latest

Trending

Trending