The Student Room Group

I'd like to study automotive engineering but I have no idea where to start

At the moment, my life is a case of finding what I'm interested in as my computing studies fell through when I discovered I didn't enjoy it.

I'd like to give automotive engineering a shot so I'm looking for advice on where to start. I live in Scotland and I have no previous experience with engineering or science.
computing and automotive are very different studies .. and if you have no experience with cars and automotive in general it won't be easy but not impossible!

first how good are you with maths and physics ? write down your grades and all qualification you've achieved till now

then search universities courses in automotive and/or motorsport degrees . some of them are Loughborough, Oxford Brookes, Leeds, Bolton, Coventry, Brunel, Derby.

if you are not good with engineering and science you may consider taking a foundation year as an integrated year prior year 1 of chosen degree, it's really a good choice for many students , search about the benefits of a foundation year.

keep in mind to work in automotive industry is not about what degree you have, it's more about skills and experience, and that's why prestigious unis they don't offer automotive and/or motor sport courses because it's vocational course
Reply 2
Original post by mustafa_m

keep in mind to work in automotive industry is not about what degree you have, it's more about skills and experience, and that's why prestigious unis they don't offer automotive and/or motor sport courses because it's vocational course

Firstly this part of your statement is completely false, not sure where you heard this from. Automotive engineering is just a more niche version of mechanical engineering just like aerospace is but with more fluid dynamics and more application to aircraft.

It also has nothing to do with why the so called "prestigious" universities don't offer it. Whether a university runs a course or not is entirely up to the faculty.

Secondly let me just mention that you don't need experience with cars in order to study automotive engineering. Whether the course is more practical or not depends on the university but in most cases the course is still very theoretical.
Original post by a10
Firstly this part of your statement is completely false, not sure where you heard this from. Automotive engineering is just a more niche version of mechanical engineering just like aerospace is but with more fluid dynamics and more application to aircraft.

I've been searching for the last months the courses for automotive and compared them to some mechanical courses and find them different , specially if you compare the motorsport to mechanical !

It also has nothing to do with why the so called "prestigious" universities don't offer it. Whether a university runs a course or not is entirely up to the faculty.

Top universities in UK they offer broad subjects only for undergraduate, and they don't have vocational subjects! ... it's your opinion anyway.

Secondly let me just mention that you don't need experience with cars in order to study automotive engineering. Whether the course is more practical or not depends on the university but in most cases the course is still very theoretical.

Well I don't really mean work experience, and yes you don't need work experience to study any course.

But if you let's say have some theory experience or information and passion it will be a lot easier in most cases.
Reply 4
I've been searching for the last months the courses for automotive and compared them to some mechanical courses and find them different , specially if you compare the motorsport to mechanical !

You did not read my post. I was referring to automotive engineering and mechanical engineering, I did not mention motorsport. At a lot of universities you often study the same courses till year 2 or year 3 where it gets slightly different (the same is true at my university). My friends study automotive engineering and I study mechanical engineering and we are in the same exact classes till the end of year 2 then in year 3 its slightly different for them.

Well I don't really mean work experience.

what are you on about?

But if you let's say have some theory experience or information and passion it will be a lot easier in most cases.

To be honest in most cases universities will be far more concerned about your academic potential to study the course...sure some experience can help but it is certainly not a huge deciding factor. Academic qualifications in order to do the course usually comes first.
Reply 5
Better off doing mech eng than automotive. Its allows you to go into automotive engineering as well as other careers. You got to be good at maths too as majority is just maths/physics.

I'd say look into the modules at different universities and see if they interest you. You won't like every module, thats given, but I'd say you should be comfortable with at least 50%.
Hi, i think i am too late to apply to Automotive eng unis in the UK, any advice on what step should i take, any possibe january intakes or so?
thanks!

Top universities in UK they offer broad subjects only for undergraduate, and they don't have vocational subjects! ... it's your opinion anyway.

Well I don't really mean work experience, and yes you don't need work experience to study any course.

i have not used tsr before btw but id like to ask you some questions about automotive engineering as you seem to know a bit. Firstly does a automotive engineering course need you to have really good computing skills? i am no good as I have not done computing or used design software or anything of the sort. Do you use computers a lot during the course? Also, does it have a lot of electricity involved as i am not the best at physics but i am good at maths. Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest