The Student Room Group

Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear

Scroll to see replies

Jeremy Clarkson thought he was untouchable. Nobody is above the law and I'm glad what's happened has happened. As for top gear, yeah I watched it now and again. It was occasionally funny but became quite repetitive if I'm honest...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James Milibanter
Jezza, went on a foul mouthed rant at the BBC claiming he was fired before he actually was.
He is a source of controversy, the beeb would be stupid to keep him.
As I said to LP, the casual racism was fine, it's not unusual for a boss to verbally lay into an employee but physical violence is where a line must be drawn.
If you are going to use school as a comparison, Clarkson was in a position of power and authority, which wouldn't make him a fellow student but a teacher. Any teacher who hit a pupil would be immediately fired.

This is a poor argument as teachers are adults and pupils are children, if you hit a child in any way and you weren't the parent you can get into serious trouble and if you are the parent you can still get in serious trouble.To see how your comparison falls apart imagine Clarkson and the producer were having a sexual relationship there would be nothing wrong with that they are both consenting adults but then imagine if a teacher was having a relationship with a pupil and the teacher would be in a lot of trouble.
Original post by Dalek1099
This is a poor argument as teachers are adults and pupils are children, if you hit a child in any way and you weren't the parent you can get into serious trouble and if you are the parent you can still get in serious trouble.To see how your comparison falls apart imagine Clarkson and the producer were having a sexual relationship there would be nothing wrong with that they are both consenting adults but then imagine if a teacher was having a relationship with a pupil and the teacher would be in a lot of trouble.

Not at all, a uni lecturer attacking an 18 year old student would also be sacked.
You should think things through before you type them down. Me and Life_Peer may disagree but that's down to us both having different ideas. I respect his views and he thinks them through as do I. You have wasted a post trying to prove a point that doesn't exist, are you pleased with yourself?
Not only is it unacceptable to be violent towards a collegue, not firing him sends the message to all the fans (many of whom are young, impressionable kids) that violence is ok. Also, he's a bigoted bastard and people shouldn't have to pay their licence fee to line the pockets of a racist ****. The BBC is supposed to be inclusive of all licence holders and many people were effectively paying to be insulted.
Bye bye Top Gear. Can't say Jeremy didn't deserve it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Not only is it unacceptable to be violent towards a collegue, not firing him sends the message to all the fans (many of whom are young, impressionable kids) that violence is ok. Also, he's a bigoted bastard and people shouldn't have to pay their licence fee to line the pockets of a racist ****. The BBC is supposed to be inclusive of all licence holders and many people were effectively paying to be insulted.

I say get rid of the license. No broadcasting institution should be given public funding, I would much rather the money go to food, a nice pair of trainers or even the NHS. Just not into the pocket of a violent, racist so and so.

Tbf I liked him cause even the stuff I didn't agree with he managed to say in a funny way and he wasn't afraid to say what he thought. He just crossed the line with violence

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am interested as to why the words colleague and workplace keep appearing violence should be classed as the same wherever it is committed and if everyone is sacked who has ever performed violent acts(the BBC wouldn't let him come back from the looks of it, he has been violent in the past so we will never let him come back) then there wouldn't be many employees available for employers.

Not sacking him doesn't condone the behavior as much as not giving someone a prison sentence doesn't condone the behavior that is the sort of comparison I would like to believe this sort of behaviour is unacceptable but it shouldn't receive a prison sentence or a sacking but it should receive a lesser punishment.

Let us not forget that it was Clarkson who reported himself so he accepts what he did was wrong and the producer doesn't want him fired over the incident and didn't report it, firing Clarkson goes directly against the victims wishes and could potentially make his victims life much worse as Top Gear is unlikely to be continued-so after this his life will be so much worse than it was before who has really made his life worse the BBC or Clarkson?(the answer obviously is the BBC).
Original post by RFowler
Looks like it's goodbye to one of the few BBC programmes I actually watch aside from the news. Top Gear without Clarkson just won't work at all.

He shouldn't have been able to get away with punching a producer, but I'm not sure whether it could have been sorted out without destroying one of the BBC's most successful programmes.

Sort what out? The guy was a huge man child, already on his last warning [that's what you do with toddlers not adults!] and he physically assaulted someone because they wouldn't get him an expensive cut of steak.

He was arrogant, egotistical and clearly thought he was untouchable. I hope no one employs him in the future.
Original post by Andy98
Tbf I liked him cause even the stuff I didn't agree with he managed to say in a funny way and he wasn't afraid to say what he thought. He just crossed the line with violence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, so it's ok to insult people IF someone finds it funny.

I am interested as to why the words colleague and workplace keep appearing violence should be classed as the same wherever it is committed and if everyone is sacked who has ever performed violent acts(the BBC wouldn't let him come back from the looks of it, he has been violent in the past so we will never let him come back) then there wouldn't be many employees available for employers.

Not sacking him doesn't condone the behavior as much as not giving someone a prison sentence doesn't condone the behavior that is the sort of comparison I would like to believe this sort of behaviour is unacceptable but it shouldn't receive a prison sentence or a sacking but it should receive a lesser punishment.

Let us not forget that it was Clarkson who reported himself so he accepts what he did was wrong and the producer doesn't want him fired over the incident and didn't report it, firing Clarkson goes directly against the victims wishes and could potentially make his victims life much worse as Top Gear is unlikely to be continued-so after this his life will be so much worse than it was before who has really made his life worse the BBC or Clarkson?(the answer obviously is the BBC).

Because there's no way that Tymon could have been scared of further violence and verbal abuse, either from Clarkson or his fans, if he spoke out against Clarkson? Oh no, people are never afraid of the repercussions of making complaints about people in positions of power...

What 'lesser punishment' would be acceptable? What does one have to do to be fired?

Jezza was in a position of trust in that workplace. As I have said, many people are used to the fact that they may be shouted at in their office of work. Clarkson then crossed the line by physically attacking HIS EMPLOYEE. If Jezza had attacked his employee outside of the place of work then it would be different as the differences in levels of power and authority would no longer exist. Because Jezza had power and authority over the employee he insulted he deserved to be sacked.
Right, so it's ok to insult people IF someone finds it funny.

Comedians get paid for it so why can't anyone else say it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler
Looks like it's goodbye to one of the few BBC programmes I actually watch aside from the news. Top Gear without Clarkson just won't work at all.

He shouldn't have been able to get away with punching a producer, but I'm not sure whether it could have been sorted out without destroying one of the BBC's most successful programmes.

Top gear without Jeremy Clarkson is going to turn out just like Fifth gear, utter ....
Original post by Andy98
Comedians get paid for it so why can't anyone else say it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't believe comedians should be able to insult people because some people think it's funny.
I don't believe comedians should be able to insult people because some people think it's funny.

I've never heard a funny joke that no one would find offensive....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James Milibanter
Jezza was in a position of trust in that workplace. As I have said, many people are used to the fact that they may be shouted at in their office of work. Clarkson then crossed the line by physically attacking HIS EMPLOYEE. If Jezza had attacked his employee outside of the place of work then it would be different as the differences in levels of power and authority would no longer exist. Because Jezza had power and authority over the employee he insulted he deserved to be sacked.

People have understand that the difference between minor assault(lip getting cut) and shouting isn't that great and doesn't have that much more impact on people.Clarkson went further than he should have gone from shouting to punching his colleague this is not as far as you are supposed to go in the workplace(as you have said you can expect to be shouted at at work) so this behavior was unacceptable and Clarkson needs to be punished for the act but for going slightly further than is acceptable isn't enough to get someone sacked in my book.

I would only sack people if they did things more serious crimes that left serious consequences mentally or physically like if the producer had had to remain in hospital and had had his nose broken and his face scarred(proper assault) not a cut lip or had raped/sexually assaulted someone these are the sorts of acts someone should be sacked for.Punching someone once leaving a cut lip is the sort of casual thing that can happen sometimes when arguments spiral out of control a bit.
Original post by Andy98
I've never heard a funny joke that no one would find offensive....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well maybe you need to hear more jokes. If you require someone to be insulted to find something funny then that is a fault with your character.
Reply 177
Sometimes there are two sides to a story and maybe the producer provoked him or there was some sort of internal conflict building up to this. Jeremy is an idiot but I don't for one second believe he attacked the producer for the reasons the media are saying. There must be an underlying issue.
At the end of the day license fee payers pay the BBC and thus if the majority of licence payers feel that they want Jeremy to present - he should present. If not, then not.
People have understand that the difference between minor assault(lip getting cut) and shouting isn't that great and doesn't have that much more impact on people.Clarkson went further than he should have gone from shouting to punching his colleague this is not as far as you are supposed to go in the workplace(as you have said you can expect to be shouted at at work) so this behavior was unacceptable and Clarkson needs to be punished for the act but for going slightly further than is acceptable isn't enough to get someone sacked in my book.

I would only sack people if they did things more serious crimes that left serious consequences mentally or physically like if the producer had had to remain in hospital and had had his nose broken and his face scarred(proper assault) not a cut lip or had raped/sexually assaulted someone these are the sorts of acts someone should be sacked for.Punching someone once leaving a cut lip is the sort of casual thing that can happen sometimes when arguments spiral out of control a bit.

Verbal abuse in the workplace is also unacceptable and shouldn't go unpunished.
Jeremy Clarkson is the Balotelli of TV - arrongant, massive bell end who manages to hoodwink people, and has got way too many chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending