The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Lau14
We probably will (going to walk down to the "other campus" at lunch tomorrow to get tickets hopefully). I have way too many musically talented friends - although this will somehow be the first time I've seen them perform for a college thing! I went to loads of performance evenings at secondary school but I think this is actually the first thing I've ever gone to at sixth form at all.

Absolutely :wink:

I can imagine that :tongue: He got her two tickets for Christmas thinking she would take a friend but she's taking him :biggrin:

Yeah I feel pretty good about it. If he continues being relaxed about things physics revision lessons might actually be fun (productivity levels questionable, but fun).

I think they'd definitely be very useful to do because the question style and marking is very different from the papers I think?

That's real nice! We have a live lunch performance thing tomorrow too. Very musical recently! Although our college is massive so you'd expect at least a few to be talented :L

Is that some form of brilliant revenge by taking him 😂

I genuinely still have all of busted's albums from when I was a kid and thought I was cool at the school discos Hahahah!

Fun is good :wink:

Oh right! I'll give some a go then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 661
Original post by Lau14
You can find them here, see what marks correspond to which UMS (if you click "Convert multiple marks" it comes up as a list down the right hand side) :smile:

Thank you! Life saver :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 662
Anyone else still gonna be learning until after Easter? (I'm still learning astro)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hey there! Are your notes digital or handwritten?:smile: just wondered if you'd mind sharing them in the first post of this thread? I'm gonna add mine the weekend so we all have some extra resources other than our own notes all the time :smile:

In terms of revision - have you tried Kerboodle? Some of the videos of each topic are a good alternative means of revising. There's also some informative podcasts for on the go stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My notes are hand written, I'll see if I can scan them and post them here. Yeah the school gave us Kerboodle, it's very useful. I also watch videos on youtube for guidance, I personally recommend WaheyProductions. When do you think is the best time to start past papers which isn't too early or too late? I have a firm understanding of both units so I don't know if I should start this week. :confused:
Reply 664
Original post by CD223
That's real nice! We have a live lunch performance thing tomorrow too. Very musical recently! Although our college is massive so you'd expect at least a few to be talented :L

Is that some form of brilliant revenge by taking him 😂

I genuinely still have all of busted's albums from when I was a kid and thought I was cool at the school discos Hahahah!

Fun is good :wink:

Oh right! I'll give some a go then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're doing cabaret 3-4 nights this week I think, might turn out to be good? I have no idea what it's about (except it's supposedly slightly racier than you'd expect for a college musical...)

I think I only ever knew a few songs, was never that into music when I was younger

Well our table is definitely good (when ed is there... Every now and then I get the feeling we're the ones responsible for no work getting done :P )
Original post by CD223
Anyone else still gonna be learning until after Easter? (I'm still learning astro)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My class haven't even started AstroPhysics:eek: (still learning Nuclear and Radiation to be fair we probably only need 1 more lesson on Nuclear or less):The worst problem is the fact that my class still hasn't learnt M3 when the exam for that is on May 13 I think and we weren't going to be finished by Easter but I have convinced by lecturer to just do M3 in Further Maths and we should have that done by Easter now I think.
Reply 666
Original post by Master Sam
My notes are hand written, I'll see if I can scan them and post them here. Yeah the school gave us Kerboodle, it's very useful. I also watch videos on youtube for guidance, I personally recommend WaheyProductions. When do you think is the best time to start past papers which isn't too early or too late? I have a firm understanding of both units so I don't know if I should start this week. :confused:

Oh if you could that woud be absolutely brilliant! Kerboodle and YouTube are good alternatives. I'll try WaheyProductions out - thanks!
I would say Easter is a good time. I plan on starting them then and think it'll give me a good amount of time to go over my mistakes and correct them. Up to you though :smile:

Original post by Lau14
They're doing cabaret 3-4 nights this week I think, might turn out to be good? I have no idea what it's about (except it's supposedly slightly racier than you'd expect for a college musical...)

I think I only ever knew a few songs, was never that into music when I was younger

Well our table is definitely good (when ed is there... Every now and then I get the feeling we're the ones responsible for no work getting done :P )

Ahaha, well, it is your fibal yer I guess...anything goes :wink:

Oh right! I was and still am a massive fan of music :smile:

Aw, well I'm sure you're all mutually beneficial to each other...somehow :wink:

Original post by Dalek1099
My class haven't even started AstroPhysics:eek: (still learning Nuclear and Radiation to be fair we probably only need 1 more lesson on Nuclear or less):The worst problem is the fact that my class still hasn't learnt M3 when the exam for that is on May 13 I think and we weren't going to be finished by Easter but I have convinced by lecturer to just do M3 in Further Maths and we should have that done by Easter now I think.

Oh right! I wouldn#t panic about it.Where are you up to in terms of Nuclear topics? Ah, learning right up until the exam is never ideal! My first exam is on 5th June though so thankfully I have a couple of weeks' more time to prepare :smile:
Reply 667
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've only just done spectral classes in astro so we've got a long way to go yet as well haha. Started looking at lifetimes of stars and stuff just in case we get tight on time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 668
Original post by _Caz_
We've only just done spectral classes in astro so we've got a long way to go yet as well haha. Started looking at lifetimes of stars and stuff just in case we get tight on time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice! You sound further than me! We've only just finished the telescopes unit! I think "surveying the stars" is up next.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh if you could that woud be absolutely brilliant! Kerboodle and YouTube are good alternatives. I'll try WaheyProductions out - thanks!
I would say Easter is a good time. I plan on starting them then and think it'll give me a good amount of time to go over my mistakes and correct them. Up to you though :smile:

Oh right! I wouldn#t panic about it.Where are you up to in terms of Nuclear topics? Ah, learning right up until the exam is never ideal! My first exam is on 5th June though so thankfully I have a couple of weeks' more time to prepare :smile:

We still have properties of alpha,beta and gamma radiation(pretty much just deflection properties to get through) and nuclear fusion to get through.
Reply 670
Original post by CD223
Oh nice! You sound further than me! We've only just finished the telescopes unit! I think "surveying the stars" is up next.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that leads on to spectral classes so don't worry - you're not too far behind! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 671
Original post by _Caz_
I think that leads on to spectral classes so don't worry - you're not too far behind! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! We did astronomical distances today...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 672
Original post by CD223

Not for the first years it isn't :tongue: We went and got tickets today so definitely going tomorrow night, it started yesterday and everyone is saying it was really good so that's promising!

I am more now (especially musicals) but I don't like, follow particular bands or anything really?

Yes, we stop each other from going mad with boredom :biggrin:
Reply 673
Original post by Lau14
Not for the first years it isn't :tongue: We went and got tickets today so definitely going tomorrow night, it started yesterday and everyone is saying it was really good so that's promising!

I am more now (especially musicals) but I don't like, follow particular bands or anything really?

Yes, we stop each other from going mad with boredom :biggrin:

Ooh, nice! have fun!
Ah thats fair enough! I love music - would love to go to as many festivals as possible this summer if money wasn't a limiting factor haha!

Sounds like it!

Can I ask - for methods of measuring astronomical distances, are we supposed to come up with reasons as to why each method is better/worse than another? Not quite sure what I'm meant to recall from today's lesson.
Reply 674
Original post by CD223
Ooh, nice! have fun!
Ah thats fair enough! I love music - would love to go to as many festivals as possible this summer if money wasn't a limiting factor haha!

Sounds like it!

Can I ask - for methods of measuring astronomical distances, are we supposed to come up with reasons as to why each method is better/worse than another? Not quite sure what I'm meant to recall from today's lesson.

Hopefully we will!
Sounds like fun. Not sure I'd like festivals all that much (not a big fan of standing for a start! :biggrin: )

I don't think so? I think you mostly need to be able to define the different measurements (parsecs, AU), convert between them and know which ones you need for which calculations. And then there's I think only two ways we learn of actually finding the distance to objects - type 1a supernovae (standard candles) and measuring the parallax angle?
Reply 675
Original post by Lau14
Hopefully we will!
Sounds like fun. Not sure I'd like festivals all that much (not a big fan of standing for a start! :biggrin: )

I don't think so? I think you mostly need to be able to define the different measurements (parsecs, AU), convert between them and know which ones you need for which calculations. And then there's I think only two ways we learn of actually finding the distance to objects - type 1a supernovae (standard candles) and measuring the parallax angle?

fun for the music and social side but standing can be pretty tiring :wink:

Thank you! We went over the parallax angle method today and did a bit on apparent and absolute magnitude. I guess we'll cover supernovae at a later date? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 676
Original post by CD223
fun for the music and social side but standing can be pretty tiring :wink:

Thank you! We went over the parallax angle method today and did a bit on apparent and absolute magnitude. I guess we'll cover supernovae at a later date? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably, I think they were the last thing we did (not that our teacher is even going in the same order as other classes in our college!)
Reply 677
Original post by Lau14
Probably, I think they were the last thing we did (not that our teacher is even going in the same order as other classes in our college!)

Oh right! That's good. Got 15/20 on an unexpected telescopes test today. 😁.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 678
Original post by CD223
Oh right! That's good. Got 15/20 on an unexpected telescopes test today. .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done :biggrin: telescopes are by far the worst bit in my opinion.
Reply 679
Original post by Lau14
Well done :biggrin: telescopes are by far the worst bit in my opinion.

Hahha! They're horrid. At least I can convince myself it's upwards from here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending