The Student Room Group

Is this what guys normally do?

I started talking to a guy through text just over two weeks ago. I have made it clear I didn't want a relationship, just a friend and feel uncomfortable if someone flirts with me. He has been texting me everyday, we have a laugh and I enjoy texting him. He says things like how I'm special, interesting, awesome or brilliant but says he won't say anything more in case it's seen as flirting. We end up texting each other until maybe 2 in the morning most days, the conversation lasting over 3 hours.

Is this normal for guys to do when they see you as a friend? We're in our 20s if that makes a difference.

Scroll to see replies

It could be that he likes you or that he's innocently trying to get to know you better. There are several girls who I could easily spend hours (even whole days in some cases) talking to via text. We've been friends for years though, which is a lot different from first meeting someone.

The fact he keeps banging on about how amazing and perfect he thinks you are when you've just met is a huge red flag though.
(edited 9 years ago)
He wants you.
Yeah I did that lol

I personally didn't mean it as flirting, I wouldn't want to pressure someone like that. But it seems like what I said did pressure her anyway XD

(I think I must have a different understanding of friendship than her, to her they are probably temporary and plentiful. To me it's the complete opposite, & I tried too much to be a 'good friend'.)
Reply 4
He likes your company. Keep at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
He's either into you or he just thinks you're an awesome person and loves having you as friend. Probably the primary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Andy98
He's either into you or he just thinks you're an awesome person and loves having you as friend. Probably the primary

Posted from TSR Mobile

How to know which one though? Can someone really see you as an awesome friend in only 2 weeks - even if you do text everyday
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
How to know which one though? Can someone really see you as an awesome friend in only 2 weeks - even if you do text everyday

Possible but unlikely

Posted from TSR Mobile
He wants to give you the D big time
Reply 9
He wants you. Guys aren't that way inclined to be forth coming with compliments.

His suggestion of saying no more as it may be taken as flirting was a tester.
Original post by boro_andy
He wants you. Guys aren't that way inclined to be forth coming with compliments.

His suggestion of saying no more as it may be taken as flirting was a tester.

How was it a tester? Aren't some guys just nice about giving out compliments? I thought I was really clear I didn't want a relationship so seeing these responses is now making me feel awkward
A tester in that he likes you and wanted to see how you would respond to it.

Sometimes, yes, but in my experience not very often. Generally needs to be an end goal (for want of a better term).
A tester in that he likes you and wanted to see how you would respond to it.

Sometimes, yes, but in my experience not very often. Generally needs to be an end goal (for want of a better term).

Everytime he compliments me, I deny the compliment or generalise it and say everyone is awesome etc. or sometimes I ignore it and say nothing. Is this an ok response? I'm not great at accepting compliments
You're not alone in that.

You're making it clear that it's platonic, he's just not listening. Entirely possible that he is just being "nice" but I doubt it. Don't worry about how you respond, I've done the compliment thing and been met with ignorance. Doesn't bother me, I can take a hint.

If you suspect he's after more, re-enforce the situation and if that fails, ignore him. Even the most smitten get the hint in the end.
ye i could do that with anyone.

Generally don't tell people they're amazing n beautiful though. He probably wants the V
You're not alone in that.

You're making it clear that it's platonic, he's just not listening. Entirely possible that he is just being "nice" but I doubt it. Don't worry about how you respond, I've done the compliment thing and been met with ignorance. Doesn't bother me, I can take a hint.

If you suspect he's after more, re-enforce the situation and if that fails, ignore him. Even the most smitten get the hint in the end.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll carry on as normal since I don't want things to get awkward. If he keeps complimenting him, I might just clarify we are friends again - hopefully being blunt doesn't make me sound really rude. I just don't want to lead a guy on unintentionally as it's not fair to either party
No problem at all.

Pardon my curiosity, but what is your reasoning for wanting to carry on the relationship? I assume then, that when he's not being suggestive, that he's actually ok generally?
Congratulations op

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's definitely inexperienced with girls, he's way too full on and he's texting loads. It's abnormal and I would get out because it will sound like a suffocating relationship
Original post by bittr n swt
He's definitely inexperienced with girls, he's way too full on and he's texting loads. It's abnormal and I would get out because it will sound like a suffocating relationship

Wouldn't say that for sure. Some guys are just over-baring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending