The Student Room Group

Need serious advice- computer tech related

I want to get into tech support but I must be a complete monkey as I have broken a total of 3 computers simply by taking them apart! I use alot of guess work and mix cables up! Im really interested in this area but feel like its to technical for me as I just cant get to grips with areas such as binary. I am great when it comes to software troubleshooting and the desktop side but hardware just goes wrong for me. How can I improve? Im not sure if Im damaging the components somehow or plugging this into the wrong port.. if I could get to grios with remembering what goes whete and why it works etc I would prob be ok.. is there any recommended books I can use or guides or anything? Please help me! I suck at everything!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Stop doing guess work and actually learn the thing before you attempt anything.
Original post by T.I.P
I want to get into tech support but I must be a complete monkey as I have broken a total of 3 computers simply by taking them apart! I use alot of guess work and mix cables up! Im really interested in this area but feel like its to technical for me as I just cant get to grips with areas such as binary. I am great when it comes to software troubleshooting and the desktop side but hardware just goes wrong for me. How can I improve? Im not sure if Im damaging the components somehow or plugging this into the wrong port.. if I could get to grios with remembering what goes whete and why it works etc I would prob be ok.. is there any recommended books I can use or guides or anything? Please help me! I suck at everything!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Async said.. Stop doing the guesswork and actually learn it.. Perhaps watch Youtube videos.. Or even but an A+ book.. I heavily suggest you don't but it might give you that confidence booster.

At one point or another people get worried about stripping and rebuilding their own computer.

This might help
Reply 3
Original post by Binary Freak
As Async said.. Stop doing the guesswork and actually learn it.. Perhaps watch Youtube videos.. Or even but an A+ book.. I heavily suggest you don't but it might give you that confidence booster.

At one point or another people get worried about stripping and rebuilding their own computer.

This might help
Funny you should say that as I am attending college to do an A+ course soon. Why do you say not to buy a book?
Original post by T.I.P
Funny you should say that as I am attending college to do an A+ course soon. Why do you say not to buy a book?

Well if you're doing the course buy the book and watch the videos on the link I sent you... I wouldn't usually recommend it to anyone that has even touched a computer.. But that's just me.

Here it is
Reply 5
Well if you're doing the course buy the book and watch the videos on the link I sent you... I wouldn't usually recommend it to anyone that has even touched a computer.. But that's just me.

Here it is

You are still not making sense WHY wouldnt you recommend it.. what is it about A+ that you dont like..?
Original post by T.I.P
You are still not making sense WHY wouldnt you recommend it.. what is it about A+ that you dont like..?

It just isn't very marketable I don't think unless you're a mature learner that is transitioning from something like checkout services to help desk.

Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of information to take in and some of it is useful but the cost of the exam compared to how marketable it is in the UK just isn't worth it. The price you pay for that you could get an MCSA Windows 8. It also doesn't seem so relevant now, they make updates to the exam every 3 years and it still has ancient technologies. Also worth bearing in mind that some of the objectives, if not, most/all of the objectives are something you'd see an average 15 year old learning. Hope this makes it obvious as to why I dislike it. If the training is cost free then definitely go for it. Don't let me say you from it though, this is just why I'd never consider it myself.

Let me ask a question though, do you have documented work experience in IT?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
It just isn't very marketable I don't think unless you're a mature learner that is transitioning from something like checkout services to help desk.

Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of information to take in and some of it is useful but the cost of the exam compared to how marketable it is in the UK just isn't worth it. The price you pay for that you could get an MCSA Windows 8. It also doesn't seem so relevant now, they make updates to the exam every 3 years and it still has ancient technologies. Also worth bearing in mind that some of the objectives, if not, most/all of the objectives are something you'd see an average 15 year old learning. Hope this makes it obvious as to why I dislike it. If the training is cost free then definitely go for it. Don't let me say you from it though, this is just why I'd never consider it myself.

Let me ask a question though, do you have documented work experience in IT?

I wouldnt mind having a convo with you further in regards to this if you dont mind that is, are you on kik messenger by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
I wouldnt mind having a convo with you further in regards to this if you dont mind that is, are you on kik messenger by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah.. I'll send you a PM of it :smile:

Quick Reply