The Student Room Group

Woman who poured a 2 litre jug of scalding water over her husband jailed for 4 years

'The Independent'

A woman who tried to "boil her husband" by pouring scalding water over him after being told they were "getting divorced" has been jailed for four years.

Ken Gregory, 65, was the victim of a horrific domestic abuse attack which left him with first and second degree burns to his back and scalp after his wife Teresa Gilbertson, a former special constable, poured boiling water over his head in their bungalow in Peterborough last year. The scars from the assault remain and may never fade.

The court heard that the attack had been a “very deliberate attempt to boil her husband.”

Prosecutor Thomas Brown said: “The marriage had become extremely strained and there were underlying difficulties concerning money, the conduct of Teresa Gilbertson and her unrealistic expectation of what he could provide.

“She was demanding money for doing housework and to buy cars.”

On the day of the attack, Gilbertson went to make a cup of tea but returned with a two-litre jug of freshly boiled water, which she poured over her husband's head, causing "excruciating pain."

Roger Harrison, mitigating, said Gilbertson had been provoked when Mr Gregory said, “That’s it, we’re getting divorced.”

Speaking out after the conviction, Gregory said that it was important to challenge the stigma surrounding men who are victims of abuse.

“As a man who is a bit older and who isn’t exactly small, there is a perception that you can’t be a victim of domestic violence.

“But it should be the same message that they put out for women many years ago: don’t be frightened, you don’t have to put up with it.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/woman-who-tried-to-boil-her-husband-jailed-for-four-years-10131916.html

An interesting case of domestic abuse against a man rather than a woman. Is 4 years, or essentially 2 with good behaviour, enough? Would the sentence be the same if the sexes were reversed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The sentence is excessive. The legal system is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juicy J

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry. When they close down all the women's prisons the likes of her will be getting a community sentence.
Reply 3
Original post by Juicy J

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that what you would say if someone threw boiling water on you? I'm sure the legal system wouldn't be such a "joke" then, would it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juicy J

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have put her away for life. Since that guy is going to have scars for life :s-smilie:
Reply 5
A fair sentence. I hope that she serves most of it, and that she lives in regret for her actions for the rest of her life. I mean that.
Original post by Reluire
An interesting case of domestic abuse against a man rather than a woman. Is 4 years, or essentially 2 with good behaviour, enough? Would the sentence be the same if the sexes were reversed?

Sorry, what?
Original post by Birkenhead
Sorry, what?

Don't you know the vaaaaast majority of abuse is men on women, right?
Come on....get with the programme.
Original post by caravaggio2
Don't you know the vaaaaast majority of abuse is men on women, right?
Come on....get with the programme.

More than 40% of domestic abuse victims are male.
Reply 9
Original post by Birkenhead
More than 40% of domestic abuse victims are male.

Cited from where? I don't doubt the statistic, I'm just curious. Either way, it's not commonly held knowledge that men suffer from a lot of domestic violence. It's one of these issues that's largely considered a predominantly female problem - as the man attacked in this story explains. There's a perceived stigma for men to admit they're being abused by women.
Original post by ChickenMadness
I would have put her away for life. Since that guy is going to have scars for life :s-smilie:

Lol, you have such a warped sense of "justice".
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Lol, you have such a warped sense of "justice".

lol. That man is going to suffer for the rest of his life. She should as well.

OR

Have boiling water poured on her face. That'd be fair :tongue:
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol. That man is going to suffer for the rest of his life. She should as well.

OR

Have boiling water poured on her face. That'd be fair :tongue:

A part of me isn't mad at the boiling water idea.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
A part of me isn't mad at the boiling water idea.

Ye I think physical violence should be met with equal punishment. Or a really long sentence if they're likely to be a repeat offender (most ruffians wouldn't mind getting beaten up as punishment lol)
Original post by Reluire
Cited from where? I don't doubt the statistic, I'm just curious. Either way, it's not commonly held knowledge that men suffer from a lot of domestic violence. It's one of these issues that's largely considered a predominantly female problem - as the man attacked in this story explains. There's a perceived stigma for men to admit they're being abused by women.

The NHS says the rate was just over a quarter of cases in 2010 (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/abuse/Pages/domestic-violence-against-men.aspx). Determining the rate is difficult, though, partly for the reason in bold.

It's not the only reason, though. When men do report domestic violence to the police, their partners are not removed from the house (as men are in 40% of cases), threatened with immediate arrest (as men are in 28% of cases), arrested at a later point (as men are in 10% of cases) or arrested at all (as men are in 15% of cases). In 12% of the cases, in fact, the men are themselves arrested.

(The above are US stats)
(edited 9 years ago)
You could say that was attempted murder, should have been more years the bitter cow
Light sentence. Attempted murder no?
Reply 17
Original post by silent ninja
Light sentence. Attempted murder no?

Probably a plea bargain.

Original post by TurboCretin
The NHS says the rate was just over a quarter of cases in 2010 (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/abuse/Pages/domestic-violence-against-men.aspx). Determining the rate is difficult, though, partly for the reason in bold.

Study here http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence

Original post by TurboCretin

It's not the only reason, though. When men do report domestic violence to the police, their partners are not removed from the house (as men are in 40% of cases), threatened with immediate arrest (as men are in 28% of cases), arrested at a later point (as men are in 10% of cases) or arrested at all (as men are in 15% of cases). In 12% of the cases, in fact, the men are themselves arrested.

(The above are US stats)

I'd expect the statistics for the UK would be very different.
What kind of weird mofo does that to someone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Attempted murder for **** sake
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending