The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Esmeralda4
I just wanted to spread some positivity in here. I've been having a horribly stressful time lately but today (my birthday) I have been offered a job for September. 5 interviews have paid off...it's doable, guys!!

Now to actually pass the PGCE..

Happy birthday and congrats! !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had the day and spent the whole time working on my folders. I wish I could have just slept through but the guilt was strong.

I now have two observations tomorrow and I also need to record myself teaching by Friday. I'm hoping that throwing smoothies and codeine into my system will at least ease the aches. If I could just breathe without my muscles screaming then I'd feel so much better. I have a trip on Friday that I need to be fit for too so that I can get a bit more TS8 evidence.

I just wanted to spread some positivity in here. I've been having a horribly stressful time lately but today (my birthday) I have been offered a job for September. 5 interviews have paid off...it's doable, guys!!

Happy birthday and congrats! I really need to get applying to jobs. I'm just putting it off at this point :frown:
Thanks guys! Feeling really positive right now and hope you will soon too!!

Original post by Airfairy
Advice please:

I have an interview next week for something I'm quite interested in . However it involves moving away and it's quite low hours.

Today I saw a job advertised that I also reallly interested in. It is in my town so I wouldn't have to move and it's more hours.

I'm in a dilemma. If I attend next week's interview and get offered it I won't want to turn it down. However I really want this newer job. Applications for that job don't shut for a month, so I don't even know if I'll get interviewed.

I don't know what to do! Should I not go to next week's interview in the hope that I'll get an interview for the newer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am I right in thinking these aren't teaching jobs? How would you feel about moving for so few hours? I think moving for not many hours would rule that job out for me, personally, but it depends what you're looking for!

Original post by ParadoxSocks

Happy birthday and congrats! I really need to get applying to jobs. I'm just putting it off at this point :frown:

I'd apply even just to get experience to be honest! The interviews were tough at first because the format is not what I'm used to.

Woo hoo! That is great news, very inspiring, and what a great day for it to happen!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fantastic, congratulations! And happy birthday!

---

I'm feeling rather fed up with the whole jobs thing right now to be honest! I've applied for two unsuccessfully so far and really just want to get an interview! I rang the school I was most interested in tonight to see if they had any feedback, but the head was in a meeting and although the receptionist said the head would ring me back, I've heard nothing. Really de-motivated!
Advice please:

I have an interview next week for something I'm quite interested in . However it involves moving away and it's quite low hours.

Today I saw a job advertised that I also reallly interested in. It is in my town so I wouldn't have to move and it's more hours.

I'm in a dilemma. If I attend next week's interview and get offered it I won't want to turn it down. However I really want this newer job. Applications for that job don't shut for a month, so I don't even know if I'll get interviewed.

I don't know what to do! Should I not go to next week's interview in the hope that I'll get an interview for the newer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I'd say go to the interview. At worst it's good experience, but at best you'll be really surprised and really want to work there. If not, then when offered a job, just turn it down.

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. What did your uni tutor say about it? I'm never sure how much rides on our uni observations. Surely they can't assess us 100% on those?

Thanks. I am quite interested in this job because it's part time which appeals to me. My application was absolutely awful though so I'm really surprised!

We've been told that if an observation goes badly they'll speak with your mentor and ask if that was par for the course. If not then it's likely they'll just want to see another one.
Thanks guys! Feeling really positive right now and hope you will soon too!!

Am I right in thinking these aren't teaching jobs? How would you feel about moving for so few hours? I think moving for not many hours would rule that job out for me, personally, but it depends what you're looking for!

I'd apply even just to get experience to be honest! The interviews were tough at first because the format is not what I'm used to.

They are teaching jobs, hence the dilemma (I think giving back word on accepted jobs is worse with teaching). I wasn't planning on moving for the whole week. I'd sort of split my time...hoping that the hours were over two consecutive days. I just love the subject and the college that this particular job is at.

I guess basically what I'm wondering is would anyone here back out of an accepted job in order to take another one? :ninja: The rest of the trainees at my school said they would and you have to think of yourself, but obviously current staff and my uni it is an adamant no.
They are teaching jobs, hence the dilemma (I think giving back word on accepted jobs is worse with teaching). I wasn't planning on moving for the whole week. I'd sort of split my time...hoping that the hours were over two consecutive days. I just love the subject and the college that this particular job is at.

I guess basically what I'm wondering is would anyone here back out of an accepted job in order to take another one? :ninja: The rest of the trainees at my school said they would and you have to think of yourself, but obviously current staff and my uni it is an adamant no.

We have been told this would ruin our reputation in teaching for the area the school was in. Obviously take that with a pinch of salt, but I think most people are told this.
Original post by alabelle
We have been told this would ruin our reputation in teaching for the area the school was in. Obviously take that with a pinch of salt, but I think most people are told this.

Well, it is incredibly unprofessional to accept a job and then back out... Schools in local areas are also in touch - that's how I got my job because I was mentioned after an unsuccessful interview in a headteachers meeting and was subsequently offered an interview from another school...

Just think about it as well - school's have to pay a small fortune to advertise on sites (TES, Guardian jobs etc), so to advertise and then hire someone who backs out of the job is also putting the school in a difficult situation.

It sounds like you're not really too sure about this job - I would still attend the interview, but then at the interview (when they ask you about if you still want the job) I'd just say, 'Thank you for inviting me to an interview, but I don't feel as though this school is the right school for me and my professional development'

Original post by Samus2
Well, it is incredibly unprofessional to accept a job and then back out... Schools in local areas are also in touch - that's how I got my job because I was mentioned after an unsuccessful interview in a headteachers meeting and was subsequently offered an interview from another school...

Just think about it as well - school's have to pay a small fortune to advertise on sites (TES, Guardian jobs etc), so to advertise and then hire someone who backs out of the job is also putting the school in a difficult situation.

It sounds like you're not really too sure about this job - I would still attend the interview, but then at the interview (when they ask you about if you still want the job) I'd just say, 'Thank you for inviting me to an interview, but I don't feel as though this school is the right school for me and my professional development'

Gah, I'm so torn. I have half of people telling me not to do it because it is unprofessional and word spreads etc etc, then half of people telling me I need to do what is best for myself. Because it is not in my local area, I am not as worried about the word spreading, but I am more worried about admitting to my mentor that I backed away from a job, and I'd also feel awful for the college. I do like the job. The only reason I don't seem sure about it is because something better has come up. It's not that I don't want it, I'd just prefer the other one. I'll have a think.

Normally I'd go just for the experience but because it is so far away, I'd have to stay overnight and get there (money...), I was also supposed to be on holiday that day, so if I decide not to bother with the job I won't be going to the interview. Too much money just for the experience.
Gah, I'm so torn. I have half of people telling me not to do it because it is unprofessional and word spreads etc etc, then half of people telling me I need to do what is best for myself. Because it is not in my local area, I am not as worried about the word spreading, but I am more worried about admitting to my mentor that I backed away from a job, and I'd also feel awful for the college. I do like the job. The only reason I don't seem sure about it is because something better has come up. It's not that I don't want it, I'd just prefer the other one. I'll have a think.

Normally I'd go just for the experience but because it is so far away, I'd have to stay overnight and get there (money...), I was also supposed to be on holiday that day, so if I decide not to bother with the job I won't be going to the interview. Too much money just for the experience.

Of course you should do what's right for you... but, if you are having doubts because something better has come up - then that probably is a sign that the job isn't the right one for you.

Don't take it with a pinch of salt. The etiquette of teaching job acceptance is real and strict.

The way I read it most people are saying the same thing - don't accept a job at interview and then back out. But by all means go along to the interview and then if offered the position turn it down if you haven't seen anything to persuade you.

You've got to think about two things:

1. If the job entailed moving full time to the new place would you be happy with this?
2. Figure out your budget for the year- is this job REALLY enough money?

I would also think about whether you are trying to convince yourself not to go. Not saying you necessarily are, just that as people, me included, we sometimes try to persuade ourselves with reasons we think others will accept, especially when we're worried others won't accept our real reasons ("Don't give up on teaching!"). Also think about how much the holiday plays a role. It's absolutely fine to feel like you'd rather not go because of the holiday. That just means the job is probably not something you really want to do.

Personally I would say don't accept and then decline. It causes so many problems for the school, may stop someone else perfect getting the job, and in general isn't very professional. It's hard because teaching is different from other careers. So the advice you'll get is mostly from people who think of it like a job, but teaching isn't really a job, at least not right now. It's more of a life choice...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tory88
The way I read it most people are saying the same thing - don't accept a job at interview and then back out. But by all means go along to the interview and then if offered the position turn it down if you haven't seen anything to persuade you.

Original post by kpwxx
You've got to think about two things:

1. If the job entailed moving full time to the new place would you be happy with this?
2. Figure out your budget for the year- is this job REALLY enough money?

I would also think about whether you are trying to convince yourself not to go. Not saying you necessarily are, just that as people, me included, we sometimes try to persuade ourselves with reasons we think others will accept, especially when we're worried others won't accept our real reasons ("Don't give up on teaching!"). Also think about how much the holiday plays a role. It's absolutely fine to feel like you'd rather not go because of the holiday. That just means the job is probably not something you really want to do.

Personally I would say don't accept and then decline. It causes so many problems for the school, may stop someone else perfect getting the job, and in general isn't very professional. It's hard because teaching is different from other careers. So the advice you'll get is mostly from people who think of it like a job, but teaching isn't really a job, at least not right now. It's more of a life choice...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both. I know what you're saying. I'm visiting this other school tomorrow morning and I'm hoping it will help with a decision. If I don't like it there or something then I will go next week because there's nothing else on my plate. Plus they sent me the details of interview last night and it sounds like a nice day as far as interviews go. Finishes at 11 and they've let me pick my own lesson topic which is a dream. But if I see this school tomorrow and will definitely be applying then I will not go.

At the moment I'm only interested in part time jobs so it is what I want. However I know that I have to take finances into consideration which would be less of an issue if I stayed at home...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another day off :frown:

Feeling really low this week. Sickness really holds me back from everything and it's just frustrating when I have so much to do. My breath is catching in my throat and I'm struggling to breathe without coughing and heaving but I still feel awful about missing the day.

It means I have an assessment missing from my folder as I was due to complete it today and I won't have chance tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Another day off :frown:

Feeling really low this week. Sickness really holds me back from everything and it's just frustrating when I have so much to do. My breath is catching in my throat and I'm struggling to breathe without coughing and heaving but I still feel awful about missing the day.

It means I have an assessment missing from my folder as I was due to complete it today and I won't have chance tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww I know how you feel. I always feel really guilty. But if you're ill you're ill! There's nothing more to it. And if you're ill tomorrow then don't drag yourself in. You'll be feeling great by Monday (hopefully) and you can catch afresh next week. Everyone gets sick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww I know how you feel. I always feel really guilty. But if you're ill you're ill! There's nothing more to it. And if you're ill tomorrow then don't drag yourself in. You'll be feeling great by Monday (hopefully) and you can catch afresh next week. Everyone gets sick!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel a bit better today but I'm still struggling. I think today should be the last day I need off so at least I should be healthy enough for tomorrow.

The worst part of being sick is my future mother-in-law popping up out of nowhere every four hours to give me the foulest tasting cough medicine in the world. I'm allergic to anything remotely tasty so I'm stuck with herbal, lumpy foul gunk.

At least I can get my folders and module stuff in order. No idea what to do about the missing module task though. I'll have to ask to submit it next week instead and hope for the best :/
So today was review statement day, all I can say is either my placement 1 were really kind and generous with my marks or placement 2 are being really harsh as I've gone from a mixture of a 1 a bunch of 2's and one or two 3's to a total wipe out of 3's most of which are b's and a 4......
Also I've discovered if I drop the course at the end of term I end up borrowing 4.5k less of the student loan company and only pay back what I've borrowed (including the grant) as a normal student loan repayment when I earn over 25k...it's more tempting than ever now!
Original post by Ratchit99
So today was review statement day, all I can say is either my placement 1 were really kind and generous with my marks or placement 2 are being really harsh as I've gone from a mixture of a 1 a bunch of 2's and one or two 3's to a total wipe out of 3's most of which are b's and a 4......
Also I've discovered if I drop the course at the end of term I end up borrowing 4.5k less of the student loan company and only pay back what I've borrowed (including the grant) as a normal student loan repayment when I earn over 25k...it's more tempting than ever now!

Most people tend to go down on their first placement 2 report. That's not uncommon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending