The Student Room Group

Travel Grant Eligibility for Year Abroad

I am travelling to the US for a year abroad in August. I am aware student finance have quite strict rules about how/when you travel to be eligible for the travel grant.
I would like to know how early I am allowed to arrive in the US and still get my flights refunded (ideally I would get there a week before my course starts, but not if I can't get the travel grant).

Secondly, I will have to change flights in Los Angeles. If my connecting flight was say, the next day, will student finance use this as an excuse not to give me the travel grant? (I have heard you are not allowed to make stops but sometimes this is easier/cheaper):confused:
Hello amyjane1994,

You will be able to fly out to the US a week before your course starts & the fact that your flight in Los Angeles would be leaving the following day would be ok. You would still need to keep your travel costs as low as possible without it becoming impractical.

In order to be assessed for the travel grant your application for funding must have your household income taken into consideration.

We will send you a travel grant application once your application for core funding has been assessed, we will also need a letter from your Higher Education Provider to confirm the study abroad as in integral part of your course.

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hello amyjane1994,

You will be able to fly out to the US a week before your course starts & the fact that your flight in Los Angeles would be leaving the following day would be ok. You would still need to keep your travel costs as low as possible without it becoming impractical.

In order to be assessed for the travel grant your application for funding must have your household income taken into consideration.

We will send you a travel grant application once your application for core funding has been assessed, we will also need a letter from your Higher Education Provider to confirm the study abroad as in integral part of your course.

Thanks

Thank you for your response.
However, your website says 'This period of study can be compulsory or optional.' so I am not really sure what you mean about being integral to the degree. It would be a great inconvenience if I were now told I am not eligible.
I must say I think there needs to be more detailed information about the travel grant available online, as there are a lot of details that are not mentioned.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending