The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrunkie
A-Levels are HARDER than Btec. It's simply a fact.

Something that I hate is that excellence scholarships are offered to Btec students with DDD and A-Level students with AAA. As if a Distinction is equivalent to an A in A-Level. An A is so much harder to obtain than Distinctions so that's not fair at all.

Should have done a **** Btec and got some extra money from it and still do the same course at the same University. What utter nonsense.

I completely agree with you!

With a BTEC they only have to memorise and learn one subject! With A-Levels we have to learn 3/4/5 Subjects at a time, it is so much harder to take A-levels purely on the volume that we need to learn for them. An A/A* at A-level is worth a lot more than a Distinction at BTEC, and UCAS reflects that, hence why most BTECS only get you 280 UCAS points, and a good set of A-Levels can get you 320-360+
Reply 21
Original post by BethanieClarke

With a BTEC they only have to memorise and learn one subject! With A-Levels we have to learn 3/4/5 Subjects at a time, it is so much harder to take A-levels purely on the volume that we need to learn for them. An A/A* at A-level is worth a lot more than a Distinction at BTEC, and UCAS reflects that, hence why most BTECS only get you 280 UCAS points, and a good set of A-Levels can get you 320-360+

They're worth the same by UCAS, I got 420 points for my BTEC
Original post by yt7777
They're worth the same by UCAS, I got 420 points for my BTEC

Okay I apologise I generalised, Most BTEC's are only worth between 280-320, as I've just looked into this, Higher skilled ones are obviously worth more.
Reply 23
Okay I apologise I generalised, Most BTEC's are only worth between 280-320, as I've just looked into this, Higher skilled ones are obviously worth more.

it just depends what grades you get, a Pass = E at A level = 40, a Merit = C at A level = 80, Dist = A at A level = 120 and a Dist* = A* at A level = 140

it works the same way
Reply 24
But see this is the thing, A-levels are designed for higher education, BTEC's, NVQ's and whatever else are designed for people who mainly want to go straight into the workplace.

However! With a BTEC you are only trained in one industry and are pretty much in a sticky situation if you want to change professions, whereas with A-Levels and Degree's you can a) get higher paid and better positioned jobs and b) regardless of your A-level and/or Degree subject, you can practically walk into any position just because you have A-levels and/or A degree.

youre correct traditionally A levels were designed to go into HE but my argument is that it isnt the only way and BTEC is another way which can get you into pretty much any university and yes i did say that is is a disadvantage that BTEC it is harder to change your career route but if you are certain of what you want to go into it is just as good if not better for some fields.

and it isnt easy work, in contrast to what people say on here, my BTEC units used to average about 10,000 words (thats the same length as a dissertation) and we did 18 of them! also the content is the same across BTEC and A level, there was nothing that was taught in A level Computing and A level ICT that was not taught on my IT BTEC and we also did topics that they would never cover as on BTEC, as i said previously, you do 18 modules.

another point that i was making was that A levels essentially just teach you how to pass an exam whereas BTEC actually teaches you work related, technical skills relevant to the industry that you want to go into
(edited 9 years ago)
BTECs are more vocational than A-Levels; practically the only difference
A level has more exam based assessment
There are a lot of people that don't give two ****s about education who just go to college because they feel they have to, so they to whatever BTEC they see first, and this gives them a bad name. I personally think when someone says they're doing a BTEC they sound stupid, but my sister did a BTEC in Health and Social Care, she is studying Nursing now at Wolverhampton university (which also isn't the best Uni, with the minimum A-Level grades being DCC), but she's pretty much guaranteed a job as a Nurse with the NHS.
Actually I'd have to disagree, I'm an A-level student holding an unconditional offer for Law and many of my friends who are doing BTEC's and applying for the same and/or similar courses simply aren't getting the university offers.

This is simply because A-levels are viewed as harder and more desirable than a BTEC, because a BTEC is all one subject and completely coursework based, whereas with A-levels you take 4-5 different subjects with minimal coursework and many exams.

It obviously depends on the course because for courses like medicine and law it is competitive to get into hence why Btec students are not really considered(mainly for medicine) Also for these type of courses there are exams which are demanding and won't be suitable for Btec students.

All in all i think that certain A levels individuals think that they should have top priority over a Btec student because they have exams and Btec students don't. Also because they feel like Btec students find it easy.

I know people who do Btec and don't find it all that easy.
Reply 28
A-Levels are HARDER than Btec. It's simply a fact.

Something that I hate is that excellence scholarships are offered to Btec students with DDD and A-Level students with AAA. As if a Distinction is equivalent to an A in A-Level. An A is so much harder to obtain than Distinctions so that's not fair at all.

Should have done a **** Btec and got some extra money from it and still do the same course at the same University. What utter nonsense.

BTEC is just as good, if not better for certain technical fields, A levels just teach you how to pass an exam, BTEC gives you actual real world skills and is a qualification that is valued in industry whereas A levels generally arent with the exception of A level Maths.

how doyou know that its easier? have you done both? i have and theyre the same content, at least that is true for A level Computing vs BTEC IT, only difference is that you have to apply youre knowledge in a different way
Original post by yt7777
BTEC is just as good, if not better for certain technical fields, A levels just teach you how to pass an exam, BTEC gives you actual real world skills and is a qualification that is valued in industry whereas A levels generally arent with the exception of A level Maths.

how doyou know that its easier? have you done both? i have and theyre the same content, at least that is true for A level Computing vs BTEC IT, only difference is that you have to apply youre knowledge in a different way

Right Btec prepares you for certain fields of work, so why can you get into University to do practically any subject with them? Why are they classed the same as A-Levels if they prepare you for different things? A-Levels prepare you for University, Btec prepares you for work (that's what you're saying right?) so why are so many people allowed to go to University with Btecs when they are clearly not prepared enough to handle the level of work and the workload etc? I know people who have Business Btecs and are doing Law and are crying because there's too much work and they have no idea how to prepare for exams? Why is that allowed? And furthermore, why is a Distinction equivalent to an A when they are clearly 1. different qualifications 2. much easier to obtain than an A/A* at A-Level is.

Again, the majority of those doing Btecs did not obtain GCSE's high enough to continue onto A-Levels, so what does that tell you? That mainly the intelligent students do A-Levels and those that are not capable of doing A-Levels get lumbered with Btec qualifications.

*Disclaimer: I know it's not the case with everyone and some people do Btecs in order to go into that particular field of work, those are not who I am talking about. I am talking about those who do Btecs because they are not clever enough to do A-Levels and then go on to University and can't handle it.*
Yes, A levels are harder than Btecs-this is a fact.

The problem is that some A level students think they should be top priority because they are the ones working their ass off.
Also a Btec student getting into uni makes an A level student look stupid for some reason when that A level student gets a uni rejection.

These are of course my views.
Reply 31
Right Btec prepares you for certain fields of work, so why can you get into University to do practically any subject with them? Why are they classed the same as A-Levels if they prepare you for different things? A-Levels prepare you for University, Btec prepares you for work (that's what you're saying right?) so why are so many people allowed to go to University with Btecs when they are clearly not prepared enough to handle the level of work and the workload etc? I know people who have Business Btecs and are doing Law and are crying because there's too much work and they have no idea how to prepare for exams? Why is that allowed? And furthermore, why is a Distinction equivalent to an A when they are clearly 1. different qualifications 2. much easier to obtain than an A/A* at A-Level is.

Again, the majority of those doing Btecs did not obtain GCSE's high enough to continue onto A-Levels, so what does that tell you? That mainly the intelligent students do A-Levels and those that are not capable of doing A-Levels get lumbered with Btec qualifications.

*Disclaimer: I know it's not the case with everyone and some people do Btecs in order to go into that particular field of work, those are not who I am talking about. I am talking about those who do Btecs because they are not clever enough to do A-Levels and then go on to University and can't handle it.*

The people who struggled with GCSEs generally get **** grades at BTEC level 3 like MMM-PPP.

also they cover the same things, why does teaching you how to pass an exam make a qualification better? When in real life will you need to sit an exam?

Also that's the thing BTEC is better for certain subjects and they wouldn't get you onto any degree, for example I highly doubt that you could get onto a History degree without having an additional A level in history nor languages without a specific language. But for things like IT/Computing or Engineering there just as good if not more appropriate.

And the grades are equivalent, the content that is taught is generally the same, the difference is the method of assessment, which surely if you know your subject shouldn't matter.

Also I'm at a good university, and so are about half the people from my BTEC class, and I'm on track for a first and also got 85% in a degree level exam! So that point is slightly redundant, also my CS degree coursework has been pretty much the same stuff that was covered on my BTEC and I have achieved firsts with minimal work because of work that I did on my BTEC

I got 360 UCAS points with a BTEC!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
The people who struggled with GCSEs generally get **** grades at BTEC level 3 like MMM-PPP.

also they cover the same things, why does teaching you how to pass an exam make a qualification better? When in real life will you need to sit an exam?

Also that's the thing BTEC is better for certain subjects and they wouldn't get you onto any degree, for example I highly doubt that you could get onto a History degree without having an additional A level in history nor languages without a specific language. But for things like IT/Computing or Engineering there just as good if not more appropriate.

And the grades are equivalent, the content that is taught is generally the same, the difference is the method of assessment, which surely if you know your subject shouldn't matter.

Also I'm at a good university, and so are about half the people from my BTEC class, and I'm on track for a first and also got 85% in a degree level exam! So that point is slightly redundant, also my CS degree coursework has been pretty much the same stuff that was covered on my BTEC and I have achieved firsts with minimal work because of work that I did on my BTEC

Haha what? You can do a History degree without a History A-Level. Couldn't be bothered to read it all soz
Reply 34
Haha what? You can do a History degree without a History A-Level. Couldn't be bothered to read it all soz

Because you know im right...... what :P

i understand that you dont need to, but you probably wouldn't be accepted with just an Extended diploma but with and Extended Diploma + History A level (or another essay based subject) you would have more of a chance.
Original post by yt7777
Because you know im right...... what :P

i understand that you dont need to, but you probably wouldn't be accepted with just an Extended diploma but with and Extended Diploma + History A level (or another essay based subject) you would have more of a chance.

Definitely not. The grades SHOULDN'T be equivalent is what I'm saying. Yes A-Levels teach you how to take an exam, but tbf, what do you think you learn at University? You have to do exams there too for the most part.
My point is, btec students shouldn't be able to go onto University, because they are not prepared enough for it. They should be the ones to go onto doing Apprenticeships etc, seeing as you're all so happy that they prepare you for work in that certain industry. If you want to be prepared for work so bad, then do an Apprenticeship and not University.

BTEC = Apprenticeship.
A-LEVEL = University.

There's nothing wrong with either and I considered an Apprenticeship myself, but both qualifications prepare you for different things.
Reply 36
Definitely not. The grades SHOULDN'T be equivalent is what I'm saying. Yes A-Levels teach you how to take an exam, but tbf, what do you think you learn at University? You have to do exams there too for the most part.
My point is, btec students shouldn't be able to go onto University, because they are not prepared enough for it. They should be the ones to go onto doing Apprenticeships etc, seeing as you're all so happy that they prepare you for work in that certain industry. If you want to be prepared for work so bad, then do an Apprenticeship and not University.

BTEC = Apprenticeship.
A-LEVEL = University.

There's nothing wrong with either and I considered an Apprenticeship myself, but both qualifications prepare you for different things.

im saying that they prepare you for university as well as work.

thats a completely ridiculous statement, I am at university, and a good university at that studying a tough course and i am on track for a first, including (as i previously said) 85% in a degree level exam!

So why according to you do i not deserve to be at university??

And why 'SHOULDN'T' the grades be equivalent, the work is the same for BTEC and A level across the same subjects!

I could have taken A levels, and have achieved A grades in timed past papers taken in exam conditions, but I simply didnt want to take them as i knew that i wanted to go into an computing related degree and then have a career in the IT sector and in my opinion BTEC prepares you much better for that.

yes i agree, apprenticeships are also a good way to go and i did consider it aswell
Reply 37
The amount of ignorance on this thread..

I'm a BTEC student, so please ask me anything! I'm academic, hard-working, compassionate and I know far more about my subject area than anyone doing a-levels will learn in their course. I'm also studying Health and Social Care for anyone who's interested and will be studying Occupational Therapy at UEA this year.

Personally I believe most of the problem here is misinformation, most people see "BTEC" and think of the level 2s they did in secondary school. The extended diploma is far from that; it's very academically challenging if you're looking for top grades and you will be combining this with practical experience. Obviously if I decided I wanted to do a degree in geography it wouldn't be any use, but the prospects are very broad! It's definitely equivalent, and I personally feel we're more desirable students for courses such as nursing, OT and social work (as well as other HSC roles) because we're not just turning up with A-Level biology where a lot of the subject is plants and microscopes. I also know people going to study non-accredited courses such as biosciences and psychology.
The people I study with are certainly hard-working and caring to get as far as they have in the course. I would trust them with mine or my family's care in any scenario, regardless of whether they have the period table memorised or know the exact dates of British monarch's deaths.

No offense at all to A-Level students but... If you want to work in a practical field, vocational qualifications are perfect for that. If you want to study history then do A-Levels! It's very simple, so don't judge people on their choices if it's right for them, there's no "better" course.
Original post by yt7777
haha D*D*D* for just turning up!! have you ever taken a BTEC at Level 3??

My Extended Diploma totalled almost 200,000 words! and also I learned much more in my subject area then i could have done in 3/4 A levels, so why shouldn't i go to a good uni and get a scholarship?

(btw as i previously mentioned in this thread, i am at a good uni, i did get a scholarship and i am on track for a first with minimal effort because of how much i learnt on my btec)

Your btec is probably pretty tough if it's engineering. I was talking mainly about the things i have knowledge of. eg- health and social, child care and business. Sorry if i offended you but i didn't mean your subject. The people that do those subjects are dumbos though, can't deny that.
Reply 39
Original post by gabriellakhan
Your btec is probably pretty tough if it's engineering. I was talking mainly about the things i have knowledge of. eg- health and social, child care and business. Sorry if i offended you but i didn't mean your subject. The people that do those subjects are dumbos though, can't deny that.

Thank you, I did Computing, I agree some are but generally they do not get the high grades, in our class the people who were genuinely good got DDD-D*D*D* and the rest mostly ended up PPP and i dont think many of them have done much since.

I agree with that to an extent, but I think again it can depend on the person, I know some people who did H & SC and are now training to be Nurses or Midwives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending