The Student Room Group

Am I the only one that doesn't give two ****s about this weeks news happenings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vixen47
The only one I sort of cared about was the plane crash, but I didn't keep up with news on it until now. **** just got real with that story as they found out today(?) that the co-pilot deliberately caused the crash. :zomg:

Are you sure? I thought all they'd said was that only one person was in the cockpit during the descent.
I totally get you, but this is what happens when you have celebrities in the world
Original post by Daenerys...
Stuff that is relevant to me.

It absolutely is relevant to you, in that the crash is due to a pilot being locked out of the cabin. These locks were installed following September 11th's terrorist attacks to prevent aeroplane hijack. It now emerges that if the co-pilot goes for a piss, and the pilot falls unconscious, it leads to the death of 150 people. I would say that is incredibly relevant to anybody who sets foot on a plane.

These international (esp. crises) news stories, whether you empathise with the victims of said tragedy, or recognise any direct impact, do have a chain of effect and causation that will in some way be relevant to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
I said it's sad. What more do you want? Did you cry?

Nope i did not cry but still felt bad. Its human nature afterall.
Original post by Daniel Crockett
It absolutely is relevant to you, in that the crash is due to a pilot being locked out of the cabin. These locks were installed following September 11th's terrorist attacks to prevent aeroplane hijack. It now emerges that if the co-pilot goes for a piss, and the pilot falls unconscious, it leads to the death of 150 people. I would say that is incredibly relevant to anybody who sets foot on a plane.

These international (esp. crises) news stories, whether you empathise with the victims of said tragedy, or recognise any direct impact, do have a chain of effect and causation that will in some way be relevant to you.

Is that what really happened? Sound so silly and stupid. I'd rather the plane crashed because of a failed engine rather than because of one lazy pilot and another with a weak bladder.

You are probably a typical ignorant UKIP voter caring about immigration which is the Britain's no1 problem.

I didn't know who Jeremy Clarkson was until I saw your post, and yes I could not care less, but in terms of the plane crash it is strictly relevant to you if you ever leave your rainy estate. Germanwings is one of the most successful flight companies so the causes behind this crash need to be properly investigated in order to avoid any future tragedies such as this one - whether on the Germanwings or the British Airways.
The cabin recorder was recovered from the crash scene. Investigators heard the co-pilot knocking on the door with increasing urgency as the plane crashed in to the mountainside. I assume the other pilot who was inside the cabin, was not busy playing Angry Birds or Bloons TD5 on his iPhone, but rather unconscious.

Do you see how this, and most, news is relevant?
The cabin recorder was recovered from the crash scene. Investigators heard the co-pilot knocking on the door with increasing urgency as the plane crashed in to the mountainside. I assume the other pilot who was inside the cabin, was not busy playing Angry Birds or Bloons TD5 on his iPhone, but rather unconscious.

Do you see how this, and most, news is relevant?

How did the pilot suddenly become unconscious in the time it took for the co-pilot to go to the bathroom and come back?
Original post by William Pitt
You are probably a typical ignorant UKIP voter caring about immigration which is the Britain's no1 problem.

I didn't know who Jeremy Clarkson was until I saw your post, and yes I could not care less, but in terms of the plane crash it is strictly relevant to you if you ever leave your rainy estate. Germanwings is one of the most successful flight companies so the causes behind this crash need to be properly investigated in order to avoid any future tragedies such as this one - whether on the Germanwings or the British Airways.

But how is that relevant to him? Is he going to be one of the investigators, or regulators who might decide to put through new regulation? If ever he decides to set foot on a plane again, the company will ensure that any new rules in place will be enforced, obviously they cannot let him on if they aren't. The point is constantly caring about the story will not affect any outcome for him personally.
Original post by GeorgeTownsend
How did the pilot suddenly become unconscious in the time it took for the co-pilot to go to the bathroom and come back?

That is, I'm sure, something they will investigate. However it seems unlikely that any diagnosis will be accurate due to the wide span in which people and fuselage have fallen.
Original post by Abstraction
But how is that relevant to him? Is he going to be one of the investigators, or regulators who might decide to put through new regulation? If ever he decides to set foot on a plane again, the company will ensure that any new rules in place will be enforced, obviously they cannot let him on if they aren't. The point is constantly caring about the story will not affect any outcome for him personally.

I can see your point but I disagree: I think that civil society needs to pressure to respective parties of the investigation to account for this event to the best possible accuracy. This requires a degree of care; if we just don't care like the OP then we might just as well accept the results of the investigation by the Russians.
That is, I'm sure, something they will investigate. However it seems unlikely that any diagnosis will be accurate due to the wide span in which people and fuselage have fallen.

Indeed, if anything most bodies will be chunks of rotting meat scattered all over the place. I'd be very surprised if they managed to find one in a condition resembling anything like intact.
Original post by BitWindy
Are you sure? I thought all they'd said was that only one person was in the cockpit during the descent.

That person was the co-pilot. He locked out the pilot who left the cockpit to go to the toilet. He then "manually began descending the plane" (according to LBC).
Reply 33

Yes, cause all the news outlets should only report the stuff that interests one random person, Top Gear is one of the most popular shows in the UK, if not the world, and sadly, like it or not, One Direction is one of the most popular bands in the world, so regardless of whether you care or not, the news is going to report these things because a lot of people do care.

And anyway, I'm sure you could find an app or something that let's you tailor the news to your specific interests.
You're not alone, I feel exactly the same way. If it wasn't for TSR I wouldn't have even heard about any of it. Doesn't capture my interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abstraction

Raising awareness of social issues is necessary for democracy, it allows people to know about issues in the first place to be able to have an opinion, and if they are so inclined to take action and vote upon them. If we are talking about only things that are his, and only his, direct responsibility; he should only check his mobile phone for text messages, and never watch the news again!
I think the air crash is a stark reminder of how disposable and trivial all life, human and non-human, is. Almost 150 people, so easily, trivially, inconsequentially, annihilated. No saviour or prayer could help them. These people had such a wide variety of lives, experiences...they strove for so much. All the playing, studying, drinking, sexing, loving, wanting, needing, succeeding, achieving, and it ended so trivially with their burnt and bloody remains spread over utterly indifferent mountains. Everything they did, ultimately, counted for nothing. Their experiences, knowledge, and feelings are completely vanquished, as if none of it had ever happened. A fate that awaits all of us.
(edited 9 years ago)
Stuff on ISIS

Russia threatening Denmark not to join NATO shield

Medical advancements

Feminism

You said you want to hear about stuff that's relevant to you, yet ISIS is probably as relevant to you as that plane crash :/
Original post by Novascope
You said you want to hear about stuff that's relevant to you, yet ISIS is probably as relevant to you as that plane crash :/

ISIS is relevant to everybody.They are committing Genocide. This worsening battle is not another Iraq nuke goose chase. Its not a government accused of owning nukes that they may or may not use. This is terrorists that have started their own country, and it's really working. Their goal is to conquer every other country that won't enforce its Sharia Law. Worse than Hitler, they kill everybody including their own just for changing their mind about their religion. If a woman gets raped, their law is that they kill both the man and the 'tainted' woman. Shocking.

You actually irritate me. No sane, sensible women should listen to you please.

You give feminists such a bad name.

Quick Reply

Latest